Team K's 14 night Holiday on Explorer Review!

It was easy to find the line for the bus to Marigot, everything here is marked. $8pp. We got over to Marigot, ugh it was raining. We walked directly ahead and a little to the right to the markets (you’ll see them). Total disappointment. Again, the same. The Same. The Same. All the same stuff island to island, although this market had one kiosk booth with knock off Pandora- we all know there is a large call for the fake stuff. The four of us were very disappointed by the market, nothing to buy, oh my! If you like buy typical tourist stuff, beach cover-ups and dresses, mens tropical shirts then you should probably check it out.

PC290375.jpg

PC290373.jpg

PC290374.jpg

PC290372.jpg

PC290376.jpg

PC290377.jpg

We strolled the back streets, went into a few stores, many apparel shops with excellent club wear and hot dresses and shoes- some accessories, but being it is the French side and the dollar is so much less of a value my daughter and I opted to not even bother looking in the clothing stores.

"So, Day 2 at 10:15 our daughter was picked to be in the Cake Decorating Competition on stage at the Palace theatre. "

How did your DH get picked? Is this an activity that you have to sign up for? I love cake decorating! And she did an amazing job!

BTW, your review is great! Thanks for posting it.

We had lunch, it was good, DD was a little queasy and the waitress made her drink a Perrier with angostura and it settled her.

PC290387.jpg

We took a cab back to the pier with some very nice folks. Funny, the cab drivers Daughter lives close to me, in Philly & is also a Real Estate Agent and one of the women in the cab with us was an Agent from Tennessee! Small world, so much to talk about. I would have loved to shop a bit on Front street, but the rain put a damper on this for me and back to Explorer we went.

PC290366.jpg

PC290367.jpg

PC290366.jpg

PC290367.jpg

DSC_0837.jpg

Sail Away from our Balcony was lovely, even in the rain…..Bye Bye last Port of Call….

DSC_0884.jpg

DSC_0887-1.jpg

DSC_0892.jpg

DSC_0934.jpg

DSC_0954-1.jpg

DSC_0955.jpg

[interesting Note: there was a Tram from the ship out to the little made shopping area and bus area. You hopped on, hopped off, we all know the gig. Now, if you opt to wait for it to take you back to the ship, like we did, beware, this was hilarious to us; as the trolley approached and stopped, as we got on the security lady tried to tell us, “Oh, it is $1pp.” Folks, it is FREE. F R E E. So, from our balcony I watched the next dozen give or take trollies come and go and not one person tipped the driver. Just an FYI. We are all for tipping, happily and graciously, but these services are not where you tip. We did tip the drivers who took us to and from Marigot

Dinner as always was great! Loved having our friends join us for the 14 nights. I think this made a wonderful dinner atmosphere for our kids too. We forgot to take pics of our food and picked it up again with our desserts. Tiramisu, again a BIG hit! So was the Lamb Shank and the Tiger Shrimp, as always.

DSC_0958Menu.jpg

DSC_0959Menu.jpg

DSC_0962.jpg

DSC_0964Cuisine.jpg

DSC_0965Cuisine.jpg

DSC_0966Cuisine.jpg

DSC_0968Cuisine.jpg

DSC_0969Cuisine.jpg

DSC_0970Cuisine.jpg

DSC_0977Crew.jpg

On Board day time activities included, Trivia, Walk a Mile at Sky Bar in the morning, music, movies, Team Trivia.

Evening Entertainment as usual and including Name that Cartoon Theme trivia at Schooner. Music, Dancing and a lotto draw! Good Night, we’re tired.

We love Dominca too! Its so differant than the other islands. I know what you mean about the markets but DH and SIL found someone selling music and they bought a couple each. Everytime we play it we get taken back to that cruise.

Day 12 Its almost the end of 2010... 12/30/10

THE QUEST -10:30pm Be There.

I don’t mind the 8foot waves coming out of the pool, Im going to sit here on this pool deck all day and get the last of the sunshine! And thats how we spent today. :-) There seemed to always be ample lounge chairs on the pool deck. Front row was being “held”, but who wanted those chairs as they were getting doused with pool water! Anyway, point is, there will always be chair hogs, but there seemed to be many empty lounge chairs. The pool deck never felt crowded.

DSC_0009-2.jpg

DSC_0016.jpg

DSC_0017.jpg

DSC_0018.jpg

DSC_0020.jpg

We were told by a few different officers that about 630 give or take passengers didn’t make it onto the ship at Cape Liberty, this helped in not having to wait “much” for elevators (yes, there was still waiting periods a lot of the time), and less chair hogging, and shorter lines in Windjammer. 50 -something boarded on Barbados and another 150 +/- In St Thomas. All you had to do was ask an Officer when you saw all the luggage going onto the ship at one of the ports. They were happy to keep passengers informed.

We were poolside for most of the day, did the Walk for Wishes walk, well not all of us walked..but it is a feel good donation!

"So, Day 2 at 10:15 our daughter was picked to be in the Cake Decorating Competition on stage at the Palace theatre. "

How did your DH get picked? Is this an activity that you have to sign up for? I love cake decorating! And she did an amazing job!

BTW, your review is great! Thanks for posting it.

Hi! Go to the competition and make sure to get a seat close to the front..you might have to jump up and down like crazy to show you really want to be on stage wih them decorating the cake!

We went to the main dining room for Lunch to have Tutti Happy Salad, as always it was awesome. It was very, very busy & the line wrapped around the entire salad station. They should have brought out another server or two.

There was a beautiful sunset every night.

DSC_0368.jpg

Tonight was the C&A Welcome Back Party.

DSC_0376.jpg

DSC_0377Cuisine.jpg

It was nice, but I thought there would be more announcements then there was. The big announcement apparently was the change in C&A from cruise points to days on board. We cruise 2x a year, both loner cruises, but who knows how long it will take to get to Pinnacle. Crew was recognized for years of service. 10 yrs, 15 yrs, can you imagine….20 yrs of service?

No dinner talk tonight No pictures. We had a mission, order, eat, no dessert & go to Studio B to get the seats we wanted for the Quest.

QUEST was great. Our daughter was Team Captain along with a newly made friend of our sons. Without saying more, DO NOT MISS THE QUEST. There was a Chocolate buffet after the Quest, but we didn’t go.

Sorry, the Quest Police prohibit me from posting more then these 2 pictures.If you wanna know, you have to go.

DSC_0407Quest1.jpg

DSC_0407Quest21Crew.jpg

I will say, be careful and monitor your clothing, someone took DH's nice brown leather belt, they must have thought it was theirs. I guess they didnt know just how worn theirs was. Ewww..

DSC_0534.jpg

Your cruise review is great. We were on the Explorer Nov 28th. Troy and Nelson were the best bar tenders by far. They were in the schooner bar at the time so of course we spent alot of time there since it was pretty cold the first and last couple of days. So yes def WOOOOOT to Troy!! He had us doing trivia games and everything. Def made our trip so much more fun with our group of people. Chris was at the pool bar and he was also one of our favorites.

Our decorated doors++++

DSC_0554Cabin.jpg

Day 13 12/31- Another year and I hope 2011 is better than 2010 was for my family.

Promenade dressed up for New Years Eve.

DSC_0595.jpg

DSC_0600.jpg

*** In 2007 the balloon drop was at least 10x the size of this one.

Spent the day taking pictures of the ship, ordering Champagne for New Years Eve. Perrier Jouet was $166 and delivered to our Cabin around 10pm.

DSC_0604Crew.jpg

Drinks on the Balcony!

DSC_0667Cabin.jpg

Should have taken more, but this is a lunch menu from the dining room

DSC_0609Menu.jpg

AHHHHHH, don't stop now.

I'm lovin it.

Any pics of disembark with that beautiful ALL WHITE Bayonne landscape that was waiting for you???:D

LOL

No pics of beautiful Bayonne in the snow, sorry. But, we were watching the snow at our house from our phones while away!;) Even nicer, a neighbor snow blowed our walkway!

Your cruise review is great. We were on the Explorer Nov 28th. Troy and Nelson were the best bar tenders by far. They were in the schooner bar at the time so of course we spent alot of time there since it was pretty cold the first and last couple of days. So yes def WOOOOOT to Troy!! He had us doing trivia games and everything. Def made our trip so much more fun with our group of people. Chris was at the pool bar and he was also one of our favorites.

We frequent the same bar tenders! :):D This time Chris was at the Solarium bar, not as happy as the pool bar, the solarium bar is never busy!

I thought the same about Marigot. There are some interesting shops if you walk down the streets away from the market area, but the items are very pricey.

This is a great trip report. Thanks for posting the menu pics; it looks like some things have changed since the summer.

Although the Promenade is where most congregate for the New Years Eve Countdown, ,,,OOPS! Not a picture of the promenade, sorry!

DSC_0693.jpg

we opted to bring it in with our good friends, Issac and Maddie up at the 19th Hole, alongside Dizzy’s Lounge. We were so surprised there was only one other table when we arrived.

DSC_0780.jpg

We ordered drinks, then my husband went to our cabin to get our speaker and iPod for music. We created our own Happy New Year, it was AMAZING!

DSC_0791.jpg

We had the entire area to ourselves, we had our own music, our own bar tender, we had him change the channel of the televisions (was a tough feat because it is considered a sports bar and he is only allowed to play sports on those tv’s). We were able to walk right outside and be under the stars and make some after midnight phone calls…Truly a wonderful New Years Eve!

Promenade .....

DSC_0799.jpg

Dinner was very good. We had so much fun! I forgot what we ate! Will post pictures of the menu & dinner in another post!

I thought the same about Marigot. There are some interesting shops if you walk down the streets away from the market area, but the items are very pricey.

This is a great trip report. Thanks for posting the menu pics; it looks like some things have changed since the summer.

Thanks alot!

More Marigot..Loved the boats in the marina..

PC290385.jpg

This is right past the streets with the stores. DD and I have a weakness for clothes, but we resisted.

Stacey, A fantastic Review It was such a pleasure sharing this cruise with you and your family. I loved re living the cruise and cant help think I need another one. I miss the lovely food and fun dinner talks. Seeing as I live alone down at school all I have to make my dinner entertaining is the food network. lol

I hope that you guys are staying warm during all this horrible weather.

I hope that one day we will all bump into eachother on another cruise again

Stacey, A fantastic Review It was such a pleasure sharing this cruise with you and your family. I loved re living the cruise and cant help think I need another one. I miss the lovely food and fun dinner talks. Seeing as I live alone down at school all I have to make my dinner entertaining is the food network. lol

I hope that you guys are staying warm during all this horrible weather.

I hope that one day we will all bump into eachother on another cruise again

On a cruise?? Didnt you know?? I expect to be invited to the wedding! :D

BTW, I was so happy to hear your luggage was found!!

DSC_0705Menu.jpg

DSC_0706Menu.jpg

DSC_0724Cuisine.jpg

DSC_0723.jpg

DSC_0808-1.jpg

Around 12:30 I went to the ladies room near Dizzy's and maintainance was on the way to repair a lock on one of the bathroom doors. Apparently a lady got locked in for 20 minutes and had to wait until someone came in then for someone to get her out. As it was relayed to me, "not a fun way to ring in the new year"!

Archived