Cruise Critic Community
lovetocruise99

warning about the guys with the monkeys

is anyone going to a beach in St Kitts? We are looking for a close and GOOD beach especially if we can snorkle. We have our own gear. Also, we were in St Kitts in Jan 2011 and did an eco-hike which was fun. We stayed away from the pushy Green Vervet Monkey people but our guide's young son had a monkey and we posed for pictures with it for $2.00 each. Much better than $20.00 at the pier and hopfully this monkey was care for and loved, the boy said his grandfather gave it to him and he did seem very proud of it. I also am an animal lover and volunteer at our local shelter. I willlook for your St KITTS BEACH IDEAS!!!! Can't wait for this curise! Joyce

Joyce, we went to the Shipwreck Bar Beach, I think it was S. Friars. Very nice an quit beach, water was calm and not alot of sales on the beach, chairs and palapas at 10.00 per person. We did have lunch when we were there, very good, nothing fancy. We plan to go back on our next cruise. They did have wild monkeys we got alot of great pics. Took a cab from the pier about 10 min ride.;)

Joyce, we went to the Shipwreck Bar Beach, I think it was S. Friars. Very nice an quit beach, water was calm and not alot of sales on the beach, chairs and palapas at 10.00 per person. We did have lunch when we were there, very good, nothing fancy. We plan to go back on our next cruise. They did have wild monkeys we got alot of great pics. Took a cab from the pier about 10 min ride.;)

How much did the cab cost?

Was not very much we joined another couple at the pier. (Just asked us if we were going to SF's Beach, they were from our cruise) I think it was only 10 per couple.

the baby monkeys in nappies / clothes was an upsetting site near the port when we were there 2 weeks ago :( it was boiling hot too

we werent approached and stayed well away

I had a similar experience when I visited St. Kitts. DH and I were waiting for our excursion group to gather when I noticed the man with the monkey. I was probably 20 feet from the guy, took out my camera, snapped a picture and turned away. Next thing I know, this guy launches the monkey onto me without asking (from behind mind you) and rips my camera out of my hands. I honestly thought he was just trying to steal my camera. DH was trying to get the monkey off of me (it was cute, but I'm terrified of monkey "pets"). The man starts screaming at DH to not touch the monkey, all the while snapping pictures of me freaking out with my camera. He makes some signal to the monkey, who leaps from me back to the guy, keeps my camera, holds out his hand and demands $20.

Call me dumb, but I'm tearing up at this point, I've been assaulted with this monkey who I guarantee isn't up to date on shots, and now I'm being robbed. (I know it sounds dramatic, but put yourself in the situation and what would run through your head)

Luckily, our excursion guide saw this happen, goes up to the guy, shouts something unintelligible to him, rips my camera from his hands, and points for him to go.

Now I know to avoid the people with the monkeys, even from a distance. Can't say I'm not leery about going back to St. Kitts in a few weeks.

I would have freaked out if somebody had put a monkey on me! (or anything else, for that matter) Thank you for sharing your story. I'll avoid anybody with a monkey and certainly not take a picture. Creepy!:eek:

Omg, my sister would FREAK!!! She hates monkeys, thinks they're filthy and disgusting, and would NEVER want one crawling on her!!!

She might stop and take a look at them, but if they just tossed these monkeys on her she would FLIP OUT!!! lol. Good to know in advance!

my mom is afraid of most animals. my small puppies included. some guy randomly places a monkey on her when she isn't paying attention(which is always) she will have a heart attack...no lie, the guy will be running away when she lets out the scream I know is to come......

I think it's all a big monkey business myself :D:) They need to quit monkeying around with people's lives.....not everybody is happy with these things crawling all over them (as seen in numerous posts)

Thanks for the heads up on this.....having not been to this port, I would have been caught off guard.

Alot of these posts are from quite some time ago.....wishful thinking, but I doubt they've knocked this off

They were still there last week. I just walked past, it wasn't a problem at all, there were plenty of other people who seemed happy to stop and pose for a photo with them. I don't know if those people got harassed to pay a lot of money for the photo though, but there didn't seem to be a big hullaballoo going on about it.

We were just there last week, too. I made a beeline away from the guys with the monkeys, but there were plenty of people who seemed to love having those dirty things climb on them. One man had all three of his children posing with them. YUCK!:eek:

when we were in Panama on an excursion the bus went by some kids with sloths. The tour guide asked us not to take photos as they do not want to encourage kids to be scammers and beggers. They want the youth to work for what they earn. I was really impressed.