Which suitcases are best for cruising?

We need to get some more luggage. Rob likes hard, enormous cases and is looking for four wheels. I on the other hand like the idea of cases that fit into each other so it is easier to fit them under the bed. Rob is concerned that fabric cases will easily tear and get damaged at airports, but I'm concerned that we won't be able to fit new big hard cases under the bed.

Our current hard cases fitted under the Princess and Costa beds but it was really tight trying to get them under the bed on the Allure of the Seas and even then we could only get one under as there was a spare quilt under there to the other one had to stand in the corner.

Advice please, with your experiences and preferences plus any recommendations.

many thanks

Large, heavy cases are impractical for today's airlines travel. I'd get 2 smaller, lightweight ones rather than 1 huge one.

I have fabric ones and they have never been torn; the wheels and handles seem to break off first. If you are worried about clothes getting wet pack it all in a plastic bag before you put it in the case.

I had a hard sided suitcase be destroyed by Celebrity a few years ago. How, I have no idea. I think they dropped it from up high, and it actually cracked. And no, they didn't compensate me for it. They said to put it thru my own insurance.

We've used the fabric luggage for the past 5 years and never had a problem. In fact the reason we started using fabric was because our old hard shell cracked down the middle after a flight. We decided the fabric ones, though they can tear, are a lot cheaper to replace and easier to store than our old hard case.

You won't be able to get the huge hard-sided case under the bed. Trust me, on this. ;)

We bought our set at Costco (3 "nesting" hard-sided ultra-light cases). We only bring the huge one when were are doing a long (12+ night) cruise and have a balcony, since that's where the big one goes. Frankly, I'm not enamoured with the huge one because, even though it's ultra-lightweight, it seems like we're over the 50# weight limit for the airlines, when it's not close to being full.

Instead, I just bought a second middle-sized case, which we use as a check-in, and each of us use the small case as our carry-on. I'll let you know, but I think it will be more than adequate, and I can nest the smaller one into the medium one and both fit under the bed perfectly. I'm afraid that our huge case will be very lonely in the basement ... :(

I prefer the hard-sided cases, though, as I have not experienced any of the breakage that I did w/ the soft-sided cases. JMO, of course! :D

I have never liked the hard sided cases. They weigh more and can't "give" like fabric ones can. I don't really spend a lot on luggage and have not had any tear or rip in transit. I had an "enormous" case and ended up overpacking and going over the weight limit (last time I used that bag!). Now prefer to use smaller bags which can also be used for carry on if needed.

I am a woman and always bring my carry-on with wheels. You may not get access to your cabin until late and it sure helps not having to lug a carry- on around all day. The wheels are worth their weight in gold.

We just bought all our family the 29" hard case luggage, each piece weighs less than 11 lbs. We used them for the Navigator and just last week on Carnival Conquest. The rolling wheels allowed us to walk to the side with little to no effort to move it. We choose hard case as we have had several fabric pieces torn up and ruined on previous trips. All luggage has fit nicely under the beds.

If your main concern is storing bags in the cabin, try pushing them under the bed when they're open. If they still don't fit, your cabin steward will store them for you.

I have never had hard-sided luggage, as they used to be heavy, even when empty, and are expensive. I don't feel so badly when inexpensive luggage is damaged and must be replaced. I'd be PO'd if an expensive bag was destroyed by somebody else and *I* had to pay to replace it.

We got matching "Rick Steves" backpacks that also work as suitcases. They have side and top handles and the straps all tuck into pockets, so you can carry them like a suitcase, or wear them like a backpack. We now use the two "Steve's" bags and one suitcase with wheels. That works great for us.

If you're flying I recommend a 25 or 26" soft sided suitcase with the spinner (4) wheels. This will fit under the bed and you'd really have to work at it to exceed the 50 lb weight limit for the airlines. The spinner wheels makes it really easy to manuver even when it's upright.

I also recommend the brightest color you can find this way when you disembark your suitcase will stand out like a beacon among all of the black bags. My personal suitcase is hot pink and my husbands boring khaki bag is usually right next to mine.

I have a Hybrid design Spinner

60% Cloth with a pocket in front and 40% Semi-Hard

http://shop.heys.ca/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=Windsor

Hybrid design – Polycarbonate composite combined with 1200 D Polyester

Size: 30" x 20" x 12" ( 76cm x 51cm x 30cm )

Mass: 30" - 4.8 kg ( 10.5 lbs )

Did NOT Have a Problem with Oasis Beds

We have duffles on wheels and they have held up pretty well. We purchased them at a luggage outlet; I think it was American Tourister.

They hold alot and expand as you stuff that last minute item in.

They also lie flat under the beds when they are empty.

Good luck in your search.

ps There is a poster that works at a luggage store maybe she will see your question and provide some info. I forget her cc name.

I have never liked the hard sided cases. They weigh more and can't "give" like fabric ones can. I don't really spend a lot on luggage and have not had any tear or rip in transit.

I have had them rip :( (I know it's those gorillas the airlines use to load/unload baggage ;) ); hence the ultra-light hard-sided spinner cases we have now. They are much lighter than our fabric cases of the same size.

I am a woman and always bring my carry-on with wheels. You may not get access to your cabin until late and it sure helps not having to lug a carry- on around all day. The wheels are worth their weight in gold.

Amen, Sister!!! :D I have noticed, however, that they move much better on hard surfaces, like tile and lino, rather than on carpet. :mad:

We have 2 hard sided cases (29" i think) and were able to fit both under the bed. If you don't zip them up, they fit no problem (this was on the Voyager)

So smart!!! Thanks for that tip!!! :D I think our "huge" one is bigger, but I do believe that your hint will do the trick, if I decide to bring the huge one, again!

Any Delsey's I've had have always fallen apart and broken in places.

I highly recommend Travelpro. I recently bought some in the Crew 8 series. The 26" is perfect to meet the 50 pound weight limit set by most airlines so that you don't have to pay extra fees. At full capacity (with normal packed items... not bricks, etc) it is right around 50 pounds. Great quality from what I can tell too.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003H4Q08C/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B003H4Q078&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=06TRVRJ28X3Y471J3PS3

I also have the 20" carry-on. The 22" carry-on is also an option, but the 20" has an organizer pocket for boarding passes, wallet, etc. and the 22" does not.

http://www.amazon.com/Travelpro-Crew-Rollaboard-Black-Size/dp/B003H4Q050/ref=sr_1_1?s=apparel&qlEnable=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1295058119&sr=1-1&searchContext=B003H4Q050,B003H4Q064,B003Y3BAVS,B0043WFC4U,B001R4C98E,B003JFKOJA,B001PEW7L0,B002CVUMG2,B001CCWBIO,B001D082II,B001PEW51C,B003PGQS2A,B004706IT6,B001R4C9X4,B003PGQSEI,B003ULP25E,B00462Q8S6,B001R4C9IO,B003Y3BAR2,B003RWT68U,B002CQ8SIQ,B003FGW248,B000SROC18,B0049EN7V2

Eaglecreek luggage. Very light weight and guaranteed for life. The one downside - you may have to lift the bed to store the luggage. The bottoms of the luggage is wider so the bag does not tip over. But it is flexible and can be 'squished' to fit.

These bags take a little practice in packing. But I don't worry about being overweight and the bags are sturdy. We sent a bag to be repaired because DH got impatient and broke one of the inside zipper - repaired at no cost.

Any Delsey's I've had have always fallen apart and broken in places.

I highly recommend Travelpro.

While my Delsey hasnt fallen apart or broken in places AFTER 3 YEARS AND OVER 12 VACATIONS

I do agree Travelpro is a great product for twice the price

I have a Hybrid design Spinner

60% Cloth with a pocket in front and 40% Semi-Hard

http://shop.heys.ca/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=Windsor

Hybrid design – Polycarbonate composite combined with 1200 D Polyester

Size: 30" x 20" x 12" ( 76cm x 51cm x 30cm )

Mass: 30" - 4.8 kg ( 10.5 lbs )

Did NOT Have a Problem with Oasis Beds

I just bought a 30" Heys (4 wheels, hard case) at the Bay on Monday night.....paid nowhere near $369!!!! Is that what you paid, or did you get it on sale??? :rolleyes:

We need to get some more luggage. Rob likes hard, enormous cases and is looking for four wheels. I on the other hand like the idea of cases that fit into each other so it is easier to fit them under the bed. Rob is concerned that fabric cases will easily tear and get damaged at airports, but I'm concerned that we won't be able to fit new big hard cases under the bed.

Our current hard cases fitted under the Princess and Costa beds but it was really tight trying to get them under the bed on the Allure of the Seas and even then we could only get one under as there was a spare quilt under there to the other one had to stand in the corner.

Advice please, with your experiences and preferences plus any recommendations.

many thanks

I like the ones that fit inside each other, heavy duty fabric which stands up to extreeme temps of traveling all over the world...and when fit together they slide under the RCCL bunks very nicely.

Archived