Why do people need ice in their staterooms?

Coralc

I love to chew ice. I know, I know...it's bad for my teeth and a sign of anemia (really it is- google it), but I just love to do it. And no, I don't do it in public places where it would annoy anyone- just in the comfort of our stateroom where it only annoys my husband! :D

Oh that's okay. I used to chew ice, until I had to have 2 crowns. And I used to do it at staff meetings...(sort of doofus, me) I didn't realize people could actually hear you when you were chewing ice. :rolleyes: I thought it was like a silent thing. So either my iron levels stabilized or the expense of tooth repair made me give it up. :D:):D

The people that put ice in their water glasses, for tooth brushing or nighttime water or otherwise.....actually get ice and put it in those highball glasses that they provide? We have bottled water at night on each nightstand. It doesn't matter if it's warm. And we refill them from the tap as needed.

Have you ever played with Ice???? If you have a bucket of Ice just put it next to your bed and have some fun, especially if you have a hump balcony:p;):D

OMG...LOL!!!!!!!! No comment, or admission for that matter :D

I like to bring diet DP onboard but the fridge doesn't keep it cold enough so I'll pour it into a glass over a few cubes of ice.

I've had yellow and brown water from the taps in the bathroom so I'm leery of drinking it, even when it's clear. I'll pour the water from the melted ice into a glass to drink. I've never had yellow or brown water from the ice in the buckets. Different source or bad pipes to cabins?

If I haven't drank all the water from the ice bucket, I'll pour it into a reusable water bottle to take ashore with us. Most of the time I have to get a glass or two of water from Windjammer to fill the bottle because I've already drank the water.

Tepid/warm water to drink - bleh!!!!!!! Must have ice cold water. :D Keep my ice bucket full........ ;)

Being a Brit I'm also wary of drinking water from bathroom taps (because the only tap which gets water straight from the mains is the kitchen tap, downstairs - the rest is stored in a tank in the loft). So although I'm absolutely sure the tap water in my cabin is safe to drink, it gives me the heebie jeebies! :eek:

Hence the ice bucket comes in handy for keeping my bottled water nice and cool. :)

I don't usually start threads....but I am curious as to why people need their ice buckets filled, and some request that they be filled twice a day?

Do you drink sodas with ice in your room...is that why? I only drink iced tea (from the WJ), bottled or tap water or beer...so I don't need ice. We never use the ice bucket, except once for a bottle of champagne. After about day 5 on our last cruise, the room steward just quit refilling it, when he noticed that we weren't using it. He asked if that was okay. I said we would call him if we needed ice for some strange reason.

This should be brief....what do you use stateroom ice for? :)

The refrigerator barely keeps anything cold.

As for me, I like having my beer on ice, as that is the perfect temperature for a beer.

We usually don't bring water on board, so in the evening we fill the glasses with ice and have water to drink. Kind of happened upon in one year when I filled a glass for some ice to chew on b/c I wasn't feeling great. When I got up during the night it was nice to have a little sip of water.

When it melts I drink it, love ice water

I do that as well.

I drink lots of ice water all day, and I like really cold water. As soon as it warms a bit, I add more ice. And in the morning I use the melted ice to have my first glass of water first thing when I get up. My only request to our room attendand is to please bring me ice twice daily. On the other hand, DH doesn't drink lots of water, and when he does, drinks it out of the tap:eek::eek:

I use it for pop. I once read somewhere (cant remember where) but someone used their ice bucket to get sick in. Sometimes that crosses my mind and I am not sure if I want to use the ice :). You just never know what a previous occupant used the bucket for.

I don't usually start threads....but I am curious as to why people need their ice buckets filled, and some request that they be filled twice a day?

Do you drink sodas with ice in your room...is that why? I only drink iced tea (from the WJ), bottled or tap water or beer...so I don't need ice. We never use the ice bucket, except once for a bottle of champagne. After about day 5 on our last cruise, the room steward just quit refilling it, when he noticed that we weren't using it. He asked if that was okay. I said we would call him if we needed ice for some strange reason.

This should be brief....what do you use stateroom ice for? :)

Your cabin steward automatically fills your ice bucket twice a day. Once after your room is cleaned in the morning, then again while you are at dinner. Have always used the ice for each and every cruise. Iced tea from room service, ice for my water during the day and night, etc. And its a nice "touch" to know your ice bucket is always "full of ice"...So for me it's not "some strange reason", the ice bucket is a necessity and always appreciated.

I use it for pop. I once read somewhere (cant remember where) but someone used their ice bucket to get sick in. Sometimes that crosses my mind and I am not sure if I want to use the ice :). You just never know what a previous occupant used the bucket for.

ACK!!! :eek: there should be a fresh plastic bag type liner in the bucket, or I wouldn't use the ice! :(

ACK!!! :eek: there should be a fresh plastic bag type liner in the bucket' date=' or I wouldn't use the ice! :([/quote']

I don't think there's a liner, but I think I also read that when there is a norovirus outbreak, they remove the ice buckets immediately. :)

I would have some reservations about drinking the water from the ice buckets, but that's just me.

Thanks for all your insights. I was just curious, and you have satisfied my curiousity. :D I must have ice on the brain for some reason. This morning I got a glass down and filled it with ice.....and poured my orange juice over it. :rolleyes: I never do that. Maybe it's weather related or something. Thanks. :D

Archived