New Pirate Ship Bar on HMC a TERRIBLE idea

michmike

I was just there on the 10th of this month my first visit so I have no other comparison but I found the bar to be fine, and very popular..I had the yellow cabana #12 and could not hear the music at all. Sort of fun actually to go to the top and see all around the island..

We thought that the pirate ship was a nice, well designed addition to the island and has great views from the top level. No idea what all the whinning is about - especially those that have not been there in person.

Now, let me say this about that. Half Moon Cay is just about my favorite port of call. We were there with the Maasdam on Sunday, Feb 20, 2011.

The Pirate Ship is a very nicely done addition. The Hal Cats were playing on stage at one end. We couldn't hear them until we were almost up to the bar as the design of the facility mutes the sound from within to the rest of the world.

They had a Kareoke (spelling??) machine set up near the BBQ-picnic area and a musician playing steel drums along with it. That music could be heard for quite a ways off, but I must say we enjoyed that too.

And as always the picnic BBQ was well done.

But I'm not sure I want to see too much more development. Right now, they are keeping HAL ships separated from Carnival ships using the island, so it still has the feel of 'our own private island'. I like it that way. It is obvious that the addition of this facility is there to accomodate the 'booze cruise' younger crowd of Carnival. For the moment, it doesn't seem to take away from the experience we have grown to know and love. I think this was our 11th visit to Half Moon Cay, and we look forward to our next visit.

Archived