New Pirate Ship Bar on HMC a TERRIBLE idea

michmike

It sure does look out of place. The thing is, you can avoid an eyesore by closing your eyes - you can't avoid an "ear-sore" by closing your ears. I.e., you can still enjoy the beach visually by not looking at this building - there's no way to ignore the noise if you're anywhere in the vicinity.

WHAT A TRAVESTY!

The pirate ship at Castaway Cay (Disney) looks appropriate. This "thing" on HMC does not.

HAL, what were you thinking? (Oh, never mind.)

I used to brag that HMC kicked Castaway Cay butt since i always found HMC to be pristine and serene. Guess I have to keep my mouth shut now. :(

plus, they have some poor guy dressed up as captain morgan (ah, promotional tie-ins) who wanders around awkwardly trying to chat up the people in the bar while in character. absolutely painful to watch.

This sounds more like Royal Caribbean than HAL. :(

On a similar issue....I wish HAL would completely rethink the issue of the HAL CATS. In several years of cruising with HAL, I've rarely heard them play anything very well. They provide lots of noise, but little else.

IMO

ITA.

It is truly horrible. Thanks for the photos. Nothing condemns its case more. Totally destroys the entire atmosphere of that private island which was always voted best cruise ship private island.

Hope a hurricane knocks it out and it floats out to sea. And there is no insurance to replace it. Take that, Carnival Cruise Lines. :mad:

And I don't think we even want to see it in action when a "fun" ship arrives. If I ever did a Caribbean again, I would make sure my schedule did not coincide with any "fun" ship sharing the island on the same day.

It is truly horrible. Thanks for the photos. Nothing condemns its case more. Totally destroys the entire atmosphere of that private island which was always voted best cruise ship private island.

Hope a hurricane knocks it out and it floats out to sea. And there is no insurance to replace it. Take that, Carnival Cruise Lines. :mad:

And I don't think we even want to see it in action when a "fun" ship arrives. If I ever did a Caribbean again, I would make sure my schedule did not coincide with any "fun" ship sharing the island on the same day.

In all the years we have visited at HMC and all the reading I do here on CC, I have never heard of a HAL and a Carnival being at HMC on the same day. Carnival uses HMC all year as they sail the Caribbean 12 months while HAL is only in the Caribbean 6 months of the year..

OMG! What in the world were they thinking! How very sad. We've been enjoying HMC since day one...HMC has always been one of the highlights of Holland American cruising.

I think we're going to have to rethink things now that the beautiful island of HMC has become just like the rest of the other cruise lines private islands. Nasty Island.

I think that is a pipe dream in all honesty. Bars are the most profitable sq. footage for the cruise lines, no doubt it will stay. :cool:

No doubt but what you are right.

Aside from the noise aspect, it just looks so out of place in the photo---like a huge carbuncle on the beach. You can't improve on perfection without ruining it.

If HAL had felt the need for a bar to "improve" the beach area, surely they could have afforded to hire a competent designer and come up with something that didn't offend the eyes by being so out of proportion with the rest of the area.

Sapper1 - agree.

But Carnival customers (or HAL Seattle) still think pirates are icy cool, even though cool has long since moved on.

So, not only will the carbuncle stay, but 10 years from now people will assume it went up in 2003, not 2011. :cool:

No doubt but what you are right.

Aside from the noise aspect, it just looks so out of place in the photo---like a huge carbuncle on the beach. You can't improve on perfection without ruining it.

If HAL had felt the need for a bar to "improve" the beach area, surely they could have afforded to hire a competent designer and come up with something that didn't offend the eyes by being so out of proportion with the rest of the area.

Totally agree....the proportions are absurd and it looks much better suited on Castaway Cay! :eek: :rolleyes:

Sadly -- we can complain as much as we want -- but that Pirate Ship Bar is not going to sail away.

Remember that Carnival uses the island quite a bit. There isn't a Carnival ship there when a HAL is there. But Carnival does use the island ALL YEAR long. And HAL is barely there 5 months of the year.

Notice what I said in post #37 above.

OMG! What in the world were they thinking! How very sad. We've been enjoying HMC since day one...HMC has always been one of the highlights of Holland American cruising.

I think we're going to have to rethink things now that the beautiful island of HMC has become just like the rest of the other cruise lines private islands. Nasty Island.

I agree -- we used to look forward to going to HMC -- not anymore.

Really, really sad. i think everyone is right - it's here to stay.

I feel sorry for all the people not on cc who will be booking cabanas with no idea of what they are about to encounter.

This was always my favourite stop on my cruise ----- now this! :mad:

I'll have the opportunity :confused: to experience this 'white elephant' tomorrow' date=' on the Maasdam; and if it is as gaudy as reported here, and I expect it is, then I won't even get off the ship on our return trip on the second segment of our cruise![/quote']

Please report back here after you visit HMC today, although I'm quite sure your report won't be any different from what those who have already experienced this monstrosity have said. I just rented a clamshell for my visit to HMC this month and now I wonder if I'll even bother to get off the ship. Personally, I would like a beach all to myself, no noise, smoke, no music, etc. Baring that ossibility, I've always loved going to HMC but this will have a serious impact on my enjoyment of the island.

HAL, why would you take a little bit of heaven and try to make it better?:mad:

As much as I personally disliked the pirate ship, I should point out that on the day I was there (January 3rd, when both Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam were anchored off HMC) the pirate ship bar was VERY busy. It's not only "Carnival passengers", as some posts have implied, who appeared to have enjoyed the pirate ship.

I think the pirate ship is going to stay there. Perhaps we should all stand in front of it and sing the Drinking Song from "The STudent Prince."

I doubt that many of us know the lyrics.

And most of the singers with the HALCats probably don't even know the song, so they can't lead us, either. :rolleyes:

The Drinking Song from The Student Prince (public domain lyrics)

Ein zwei drei vier

Lift your stein and drink your beer

Ein zwei drei vier

Lift your stein and drink your beer

Drink! Drink! Drink!

To eyes that are bright as stars when they're shining on me!

Drink! Drink! Drink!

To lips that are red and sweet as the fruit on the tree!

Here's a hope that those bright eyes will shine

Lovingly, longingly soon into mine!

May those lips that are red and sweet,

Tonight with joy my own lips meet!

Drink! Drink!

Let the toast start!

May young hearts never part!

Drink! Drink! Drink!

Let every true lover salute his sweetheart!

Drink! Drink! Drink!

To arms that are white and warm as a rose in the sun!

Drink! Drink! Drink!

To hearts that will love one, only when I am the one!

Here's a hope that those soft arms will twine

Tenderly, trustingly soon around mine!

All I ask is the right to see those smiling eyes beguiling me

Drink! Drink!

Let the toast start!

Drink! Drink! Drink!

Let's drink!

Drink! Drink! Drink!

To eyes that are bright as stars when they're shining on me!

Drink! Drink! Drink!

To lips that are red and sweet as the fruit on the tree!

Here's a hope that those soft arms will twine

Tenderly, trustingly soon around mine!

All I ask is a right to see those smiling eyes beguiling me

Drink! Drink!

Let the toast start!

Drink! Drink! Drink!

Let's drink!

Perhaps a better song for the HalCats to learn is the Cal Drinking Song because at least it references the "Highland Dutch and the Lowland Dutch, the Rotterdam Dutch ........ and the Irish!, but you have to overlook they really mean the Deutsch, and not the Dutch. Oh well.

Cal Drinking Song

Oh, they had a little party down in Newport;

There was Harry, there was Mary, there was Grace.

Oh, they had a little party down in Newport,

And they had to carry Harry from the place.

Oh, they had to carry Harry to the ferry,

And the ferry carried Harry to the shore;

And the reason that they had to carry Harry to the ferry

Was that Harry couldn't carry any more.

For California, for California,

The hills send back the cry,

We're out to do or die,

For California, for California,

We'll win the game or know the reason why.

And when the game is over,

We will buy a keg of booze,

And drink to California

'till we wobble in our shoes.

So drink, tra la la,

Drink, tra la la,

Drink, drank, drunk last night,

Drunk the night before;

And I'm gonna get drunk tonight

Like I never got drunk before;

For when I'm blitzed, I'm as happy as can be

For I am member of the Souse family.

Now the Souse family is the best family

That ever came over from old Germany.

There's the Highland Dutch, and the Lowland Dutch,

The Rotterdam Dutch, and the Irish.

Sing glorious, victorious,

One keg of beer for the four of us.

Sing glory be to God that there are no more of us,

For one of us could drink it all alone. Damn near.

Here's to the Irish, dead drunk.

The lucky stiffs, they had 4 fifths

and a sixpack too, of Irish brew

and there was grandma swingin on the outhouse door

without her nightie and grandpa yellin

more more more, for she was nude.

As much as I personally disliked the pirate ship, I should point out that on the day I was there (January 3rd, when both Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam were anchored off HMC) the pirate ship bar was VERY busy. It's not only "Carnival passengers", as some posts have implied, who appeared to have enjoyed the pirate ship.

Just for laughs and giggles I checked the Carnival Board and the only mention of the "improvements" echoed what we have seen posted here, not liking it. :mad:

I am wondering if there is anything we can do to get the volumne turned down. It is so ear spliting it is painful.:eek: Not only is it annoying for us but it is a health hazard to the musicians as well. Anyone who is hearing impaired will tell you it's no joke. Since HAL calls at US ports does OSHA have any influence? Have had to stop attending shows unless I can sit in the back row and even then I have to cover my ears and a have a slight hearing loss already. No longer enjoy sailaway on the aft pool deck since the HAL Cats make it impossible to chat. Now I hear the Ocean Bar has turned up the volumne. Is there no place left where we can enjoy the talented musicians?

Carole

I agree -- we used to look forward to going to HMC -- not anymore.

Come on, get real already! :confused: We were at HMC on Jan. 3 on the Eurodam. The pirate ship bar was very busy and, Yes!, the band played a bit loudly. But it's not like they set up outside and tried to play a concert for the entire island. From the comments I've read on here it seems like they were playing at "jet airliner taking off" volume level. NOT TRUE! I walked inside the bar to use the restroom...and had no trouble talking with Captain Morgan as he passed by me.

It was certainly not very hard to move on down the beach to get away from the music if you didn't want to listen to it. You didn't have to go very far. I agree that the couple cabanas closest to the bar will hear the music...and if you don't want that you will need to reserve a different one.

But the pirate bar is NOT a valid reason to decline to go to HMC.

Half Moon Key allows people to live out their "run away to a remote tropical island" fantasy ( albeit with food service, bars, bathrooms and entertainment). In the past those artificial intrusions were confined to central areas that one could choose to visit or not.

Bu placing that huge commercial out of scale bulky monstrosity right in the middle of the previously pristine beach area and in full view from the ship goes well beyond the placement of a few rustic cabanas above the shoreline destroys any possible pretense of being that fantasized remote tropical paradise.

Now it looks like a Disneyland version of "tropical island paradise". Too bad, so sad. I wonder what else they will do instead of increasing cruise prices. And I wonder how much net revenue this Pirate Ship will bring in and what cruise price increase could have provided that same revenue stream instead?

Fiscal realities and we paying passengers have to bite the bullet too - if we want pristine and relatively unexploited, then we increasingly pay for it. But I hate having this Pirate Ship be the price now we all have to pay when visiting Half Moon Key.

And I wonder how much net revenue this Pirate Ship will bring in

that's what this comes down to. the cruise lines make most of their profit from drink sales... so to have a bar that's more accessible and more visible will undoubtedly mean more drinks sold. add to that the fact that captain morgan is giving them some sort of money for all the tie-ins... they probably paid for the construction, may be paying "rent" annually for the space, and is probably also giving the cruise line a break on the cost of their booze... and you have more profit.

But Carnival customers (or HAL Seattle) still think pirates are icy cool, even though cool has long since moved on.

Seattle Seafair has held a Pirate's Weekend in West Seattle since 1950:

http://www.seattleweekly.com/slideshow/seafair-pirates-invade-alki-30327341/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seafair_Pirates

...so although I agree that it's obnoxiously oversized and Disney-esque, I'm kinda not surprised that someone in Seattle decided on a Pirate-themed bar - I just would rather it had been located elsewhere.

Archived