Celebrity encouraging its passengers to "X the Rules"

Rick-cruiser

Just released:

Celebrity Launches Campaign to “X the Rules” of Cruising

January 18, 2011 10:12 PM

Celebrity Cruises is launching a new integrated, multi-channel campaign with the tagline “X the Rules.” As the line said in its announcement: “Life and work have too many rules. A vacation -- one of the most important decisions time-starved consumers make each year -- should not.”

“Our new campaign is grounded in deep consumer insights and the knowledge that vacation time is precious -- and limited. We get that,” said Celebrity President and CEO Dan Hanrahan.

“We’re leveraging our longtime icon -- the high-visibility Celebrity ‘X’ -- to creatively communicate that the ‘X’ is the mark of an unmatchable vacation experience -- better than any other on land or at sea,” said Celebrity Vice President of Marketing Lisa Kauffman.

Kauffman says Celebrity chose to partner with boutique creative network Underhead versus a traditional agency. The new campaign will appear in a variety of online executions, consumer and trade magazines, outdoor, and in newspapers across the U.S. and Canada.

Celebrity also will use the new campaign on its Facebook page, where new online banner ads will be revealed. And, on Jan. 25, Celebrity will launch on Facebook a photo contest asking followers to share in postcard format how they “X the rules” in their own lives.

As a person who "abides by rules", even on vacation, I find this really disturbing.. We've all seen people continuing to push the envelope in terms of dress code, reserving lounge chairs / theater seats, pushing/shoving in the buffet, rudeness towards staff, cutting in lines, talking during shows, etc.. Simply put, these people don't play by the rules.. They're rude and selfish, and care only about themselves and whatever it takes for them to "have a good time".

Yes there ARE rules... especially in terms of human behavior, manners, and consideration for others....I expect nothing less from fellow passengers.. Following rules shows respect for others and an unselfishness behavior by the individual.. I certainly would rather Celebrity not actually ENCOURAGE people to "X the Rules".... This sounds more like a slogan you'd find on RCCL or Carnival.

Am I the only one who feels this way?

- Rick

I have to wonder if this is in response to customer feedback. Personally, I would like to see some changes in the dress code although I know a lot of regular posters would not. But the rest of Celebrity is good and I don't think they are prepared to totally change everything and lose their loyal following. They are probably trying to appeal to a broader market to fill their ships. They probably don't want to appear stagnant. There is a lot of competition out there for cruise dollars.

Just released:

Celebrity Launches Campaign to “X the Rules” of Cruising

Am I the only one who feels this way?

- Rick

Together with the photo contest of how one X's the rules, my reaction: "NUTS!"

Reserve all the chairs, no shirts in the buffet, shorts in the dining room, smoke where you want, no worries about passenger conduct policy, bring as much booze as you want, my iron in the cabin, no muster drill, everyone gets free drinks and so on...

I agree that folks are already "Xing the rules". On my recent cruise, the family in the balcony next to meet was smoking out there every chance they got. A complaint to Guest Relations was to no avail, they just kept smoking. Fortunately, I was only really impacted one day out of 14. I must say that Celebrity does enforce some rules. I went from triva to Michael's Club in shorts for evening cocktails, and was politely reminded shorts are not allowed. I finished my drink, and left.

I hate this. Encouraging passengers to forget about all of the rules on board and act as they see fit seems insane to me. Although without all of the details of the "X the rules" program I guess we don't know what they are relaxing and how it will impact us.

If the smoking policy changes my August cruise will be cancelled.

On celebrity's Website:

X is the only way to describe the perfect vacation.

Your vacation time is precious—and limited. We get that. Which is exactly what drives us to do what we do. To break away from the status quo and deliberately challenge the expected. To break the rules and set new and better standards by which all other vacations—on land or at sea—are judged. We do this to ensure you get the best vacation you've ever had. After all, life and work are full of rules. Your vacation shouldn't be. X the rules.

I have to wonder if this is in response to customer feedback. Personally, I would like to see some changes in the dress code although I know a lot of regular posters would not. But the rest of Celebrity is good and I don't think they are prepared to totally change everything and lose their loyal following. They are probably trying to appeal to a broader market to fill their ships. They probably don't want to appear stagnant. There is a lot of competition out there for cruise dollars.

This is just the beginning. EVERYTHING will slowly change..including everything you LIKE about Celebrity. Welcome to the world of NCL.

I am actually excited about the new campaign; I plan to tell Guest Relations to X my bill at the end of my next cruise. :D

I love this!

Seriously, Celebrity's press release could not be any more vague....no specific references about what 'rule' changes would actually take place. I look forward to seeing what they really mean.

Talk about unintended consequences! This idea probably sounded pretty good around a meeting table. But I think we all know that people will blur the lines of what the advertising "Experts????" meant into "Oh yeah, finally I get to do it my way - no rules".

I really don't think this is a campaign to change the rules of conduct on board - just marketing hype that wasn't thought trough very far.

Too many people already think rules are for suckers, not them. Any encouragement will push even more inconsiderate jerks over the edge.

This could bring a whole new meaning to "Free-style cruising".

This new PR concept seems to echo what the waiter told me last month on the Century, regarding some of the clothing (shorts, tee shirts and flip flops for dinner) and baseball hats that folks are now wearing into the main dining room. The waiter told us that if attempts are made to enforce the appropriate dress code, some folks cause quite a public scene until they are admitted. And of course Celebrity doesn't want public demonstrations of poor or impolite behavior.

So this "X the rules" concept seems to follow with what the waiter described. And as we all know, it isn't likely to stop there. If people can push, they most likely will. After all, it's their vacation!!:rolleyes:

Mary

I am actually excited about the new campaign; I plan to tell Guest Relations to X my bill at the end of my next cruise. :D

Just think of the savings in canceled tips alone....:rolleyes:

Wow....

Sounds like a revamping of the NCL "Freestyle Cruising" idea....

If so we'll be looking for another cruise line.

Will you X X?

This is totally vague. I hope they communicate clearly not too long into the campaign what they mean by X-ing the rules. If the intent is to encourage people to be more decadent while on vacation, like drinking a little more than you would at home, eating a little more indulgently, spending a little more money, etc., I'm fine with that. If, however, it means ignoring the rules of conduct on board I will be finding another cruise line.

Archived