Celebrity encouraging its passengers to "X the Rules"

Rick-cruiser

[quote name='harrodsfan']
I keep asking this time and time again---WHY does every single freaking cruise line have to look the same? [B][COLOR=red]Why can't ONE stand out?[/COLOR][/B] I always thought X stood out from others, but recently I've been seeing X stooping to the depths of Carnival and NCL. Perhaps if they touted themselves as something different from the rest by having rules they actually enforce, by having a dress code that is totally separate from the casuals, by maintaining upscale standards? [COLOR=red][I]Why does every freaking cruise line have to bow to the "I don't wanna dress up--it's my vacation[/I][/COLOR]---the airlines luggage policy prevents me from packing a jacket and tie brigade"? Those kinds of passengers have nearly every single flippin' cruise line to choose from, so why do they all still demand that X look like Carnival/RCI/NCL/MSC/Costa/Princess/HAL?
[/quote]

It' a world-wide plot to overthrow the cruiselines ;)

Xcellent question!

When we did our first Transatlantic - we were hooked, and part of the reason was the type of demographic that particular itinerary attracts.

The same goes for our reason for to sail exclusively with Celebrity -- because it attracts a more refined crowd. I don't want to spend 7 nights on a ship filled with a bunch of "yeeehaws".

[quote name='MVPinBoynton']They sure didn't run this by a small passenger group to test the waters. It really sounds like a terrible ad campaign. I am disappointed in my favorite line, but hopefully the actual promos will be better than what we are expecting.[/quote]

[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]Wow not sure how some of you think? I like the slogan and it means something completely different to me…. X-the rules – 1. Don’t have to get up at 5:00am and then go to work. 2. My wife does not have to make the bed. 3... I can go to dinner when and where I want to at night. I just do not have to do the things I must do when I am at home at work, etc., etc. We choose Celebrity not just for there ships, service, food, etc. but because there is a better class of people than cruise on Carnival and NCL. We have fun and do not worry about someone smoking on the balcony next to us (we do not smoke), so someone safes a chair by the pool, who cares. We cruise to have fun not complain, nothing is going to be perfect. We love to Cruise and cannot wait until number 59 April 22, 2010.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='southernbreezes'][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]Wow not sure how some of you think? I like the slogan and it means something completely different to me…. X-the rules – 1. Don’t have to get up at 5:00am and then go to work. 2. My wife does not have to make the bed. 3... I can go to dinner when and where I want to at night. I just do not have to do the things I must do when I am at home at work, etc., etc. We choose Celebrity not just for there ships, service, food, etc. but because there is a better class of people than cruise on Carnival and NCL. We have fun and do not worry about someone smoking on the balcony next to us (we do not smoke), so someone safes a chair by the pool, who cares. We cruise to have fun not complain, nothing is going to be perfect. We love to Cruise and cannot wait until number 59 April 22, 2010.[/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]

I'm surprised out of the many very negative posts, you picked out mine to comment on. I merely said I am disappointed with ad message, not Celebrity. Some like the campaign, some don't. I hope that expressing an opinion different from yours, doesn't mean that my thinking is flawed. :D

Celebrity is my favorite line and I certainly expect it to remain so. I can't wait till next month to get back on the Infinity in Buenos Aries to have what should be an awesome cruise and enjoy the things you pointed out in your post.

[quote name='bhughey']
The same goes for our reason for to sail exclusively with Celebrity -- because it attracts a more refined crowd. I don't want to spend 7 nights on a ship filled with a bunch of "yeeehaws".[/quote]

How about a bunch of "Yo, cuz, howyadoin' "?

We usually cruise RCL exclusively. We decieded to try Equinox for our next trip to try something a little more upscale. We are really looking forward to it. This "X Rules" campaign though is something else. I don't "get" it. The more X tries to explain the campaign, the dumber it sounds. Reminds me of the dumbest ads for Arby's with the talking oven mitt.

Nancy

[quote name='sealover155']If it is necessary for a company to "explain" their ad campaign, the campaign has failed.

The slogan must be clear and transmit the message instantly - no additional words of explanation or time to process said message.[/QUOTE]

to be fair...you're not their target audience

[quote name='sealover155']If it is necessary for a company to "explain" their ad campaign, the campaign has failed.

The slogan must be clear and transmit the message instantly - no additional words of explanation or time to process said message.[/QUOTE]

If this was posted on Facebook, I would click the like button :)

Unlike our transatlantic cousins, British guests have to pay a $240 deposit per person for any cruise, even when booked on board. This is non-refudable and non-transferable. Brits are also not permitted to make an "open" booking. If you find when you get home that you can't get flights you loose your deposit. I have tried to get an answer from Celebrity as to why they discriminate against us in this way but have never received a reply. Despite the poor attitude in this respect, they remain a firm favourite and I hope X the Rules does not mean a drop in standards

[quote name='MacH']Unlike our transatlantic cousins, [B]British guests have to pay a $240 deposit per person for any cruise, even when booked on board. This is non-refudable and non-transferable. Brits are also not permitted to make an "open" booking[/B]...... Despite the poor attitude in this respect, they remain a firm favourite and I hope [B]X the Rules [/B]does not mean a drop in standards[/quote]Let's hope that X the Rules means they will X those unfair rules and start giving you equal treatment. ;)

[quote name='MacH']Unlike our transatlantic cousins, British guests have to pay a $240 deposit per person for any cruise, even when booked on board. This is non-refudable and non-transferable. Brits are also not permitted to make an "open" booking. If you find when you get home that you can't get flights you loose your deposit. I have tried to get an answer from Celebrity as to why they discriminate against us in this way but have never received a reply. Despite the poor attitude in this respect, they remain a firm favourite and I hope X the Rules does not mean a drop in standards[/QUOTE]

There are both advantages and disadvantages you have in Britain versus booking in the U.S. It has nothing to do with discrimination. In the UK you have many more consumer protections built in if something goes wrong during a vacation. That protection comes at a cost.

having read today's Q&A, I am still disappointed. I really think this cheapens the brand and gives some consumers the false impression about what a celebrity cruise means.

they are really opening themselves up to disappoint future cruisers.

either by not being as "fun" and "freestyle" as the prospective customer expected

or by becoming a Carnival/NCL clone that many of us abhor.

which is it going to be?

I have been reading many of the posts regarding this new ad campaign. We are going to be going on our first cruise in April and we chose Celebrity for several reasons. The main reason had to do with the itinerary and the timing. It just worked best for us. The cruise line was also recommended to us by a friend (as was Princess). I was also able to get a very good price for a 10 day cruise and I did like the non smoking policy (although that wasn't a deal breaker). I actually probably would have liked a cruise line with a little less stringent dress code (my husband isn't big on the formal night idea), but we will adapt.

Here's my take on all this talk regarding the new ad campaign. If only 8-10% are CC members then I hope you think of the other 90% of the people on the ship when you cruise. Yes, I'm a member, but it was to get info. on a type of travel I've never done before. Now, I'm a little concerned that we will get on the ship and strike up a conversation with someone and they will start complaining about the new ad campaign and how things are going downhill and Celebrity isn't enforcing rules or whatever. What I'm saying is that I certainly hope all you seasoned cruisers keep your opinions to this forum and don't bring them on the ship. I have nothing to compare with so to me, I am sure it will be a wonderful experience (unless Downer Debbie starts telling me how wonderful things used to be until.....)

I hope you see where I'm coming from. This is meant out of all respect for everyone's experience, but as others have stated, things do change and if given half a chance and with an open mind, sometimes we find that changes can be for the better. Please just ruin it for folks like us.:)

[quote name='Rick-cruiser']Just released:

[B]Celebrity Launches Campaign to “X the Rules” of Cruising[/B]

[COLOR=blue]January 18, 2011 10:12 PM[/COLOR]

[COLOR=blue]Celebrity Cruises is launching a new integrated, multi-channel campaign with the tagline “X the Rules.” As the line said in its announcement: “Life and work have too many rules. A vacation -- one of the most important decisions time-starved consumers make each year -- should not.”[/COLOR]

[COLOR=blue]“Our new campaign is grounded in deep consumer insights and the knowledge that vacation time is precious -- and limited. We get that,” said Celebrity President and CEO Dan Hanrahan.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=blue]“We’re leveraging our longtime icon -- the high-visibility Celebrity ‘X’ -- to creatively communicate that the ‘X’ is the mark of an unmatchable vacation experience -- better than any other on land or at sea,” said Celebrity Vice President of Marketing Lisa Kauffman.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=blue]Kauffman says Celebrity chose to partner with boutique creative network Underhead versus a traditional agency. The new campaign will appear in a variety of online executions, consumer and trade magazines, outdoor, and in newspapers across the U.S. and Canada.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=blue]Celebrity also will use the new campaign on its Facebook page, where new online banner ads will be revealed. And, on Jan. 25, Celebrity will launch on Facebook a photo contest asking followers to share in postcard format how they “X the rules” in their own lives.[/COLOR]

As a person who "abides by rules", even on vacation, I find this really disturbing.[COLOR=white].[/COLOR] We've all seen people continuing to push the envelope in terms of dress code, reserving lounge chairs / theater seats, pushing/shoving in the buffet, rudeness towards staff, cutting in lines, talking during shows, etc.[COLOR=white].[/COLOR] Simply put, these people don't play by the rules.[COLOR=white].[/COLOR] They're rude and selfish, and care only about themselves and whatever it takes for them to "have a good time".

Yes there ARE rules... especially in terms of human behavior, manners, and consideration for others....I expect nothing less from fellow passengers.[COLOR=white].[/COLOR] Following rules shows respect for others and an unselfishness behavior by the individual.[COLOR=white].[/COLOR] I certainly would rather Celebrity not actually ENCOURAGE people to "X the Rules"...[COLOR=white].[/COLOR] This sounds more like a slogan you'd find on RCCL or Carnival.

Am I the only one who feels this way?

- Rick[/quote]

It's a poor advertising , and gives the wrong impressions . We all live by rules such as red lights mean stop and green go.
No such thing that is good that is "X the Rules"...........................

Archived