Celebrity encouraging its passengers to "X the Rules"

Rick-cruiser

It's fine that you and your husband don't want to dress up on formal nights. BUT, you have so many more choices for cruising if you refuse to dress up, and that's the conundrum here. If X'ing out rules includes abolishing the dress code and removing formal nights, you win and there will not be a choice for those among us who want to maintain the formality of X. I'm sorry, but once they start with the all casual all the time mode, that's the end of the X we've all come to love. Next will be shorts/ratty jeans/ball caps/rubber thongs and all the rest. Sure, you can go your casual route, but I say again, you've got SO many more ships to choose from, that offer a very similar product to X. Why can't ONE cruise line be left ALONE????????? Why doesn't X want to stand apart from NCL/Carnival?

I hardly think that Celebrity means anything goes by "X-ing" the rules. I am sure it just means that they are going to review and change some of their long standing rules to go with the times.

If they want to change the rules, they can change the rules, as they did recently with jeans no longer being verboten in the MDR. My concern is that many will perceive this to mean that Celebrity is implying that they will look the other way if someone wants to "X the rules" that do still exist.

In my email to Celebrity, I encouraged them to check out this thread.

.... right next to Murano's?! We should have seen where this was going....

Regardless of what they really mean by this, the insinuation alone is going to have a profound effect on attitudes.

Double Amen!

There are no other cruise lines, unless you go luxury. They all allow smoking just about everywhere. They all have some form of freestyle. They all allow their passengers to dress however they want. They're all declining in every sector with respect to crew, food and service. So, where will you go?

Back to Cunard (which has always been our second choice).

“X" tremely disappointing advertising campaign if you ask me. Our first cruise was on the Zenith (9/29/01) and we were sold on Celebrity since then. After 10 with Celebrity it may be time to rethink our choices for future cruises. Ships are getting too big, too glitzy and seem to be losing that "Simply the Best" feel.

bosco

It's fine that you and your husband don't want to dress up on formal nights. BUT, you have so many more choices for cruising if you refuse to dress up, and that's the conundrum here. If X'ing out rules includes abolishing the dress code and removing formal nights, you win and there will not be a choice for those among us who want to maintain the formality of X. I'm sorry, but once they start with the all casual all the time mode, that's the end of the X we've all come to love. Next will be shorts/ratty jeans/ball caps/rubber thongs and all the rest. Sure, you can go your casual route, but I say again, you've got SO many more ships to choose from, that offer a very similar product to X. Why can't ONE cruise line be left ALONE????????? Why doesn't X want to stand apart from NCL/Carnival?

X is the only mostly non-smoking cruise line which is why they have our loyalty. But don't turn this into a formal/non-formal dress code thread until we actually know what their new policy means. As of now, it is just so vague.

kitty9....I did not say that "I" did not prefer to dress up. I stated that my "husband" would prefer not to wear a suit on vacation. I, however, love wearing my beautiful dresses as we attend many fundraisers and functions that require this...So, before you make a statement that "I" do not want to dress up you should take the time to read what I said. With that said....I say wait and see what happens when the "X" campaign comes out. Don't jump to conclusions that hairy armpits will be at dinner and baseball hats will be worn. I stated before that I have seen people who think they are in their finest formal wear and obviously have not looked in a mirror for a long time. I live in America and that is a place where everyone has a right to voice my opinion and businesses have a right to "X" rules if they feel they need to do it to keep afloat. Nobody seems to have a problem when they "X" the rules by giving their stateroom attendant a tip to bring them a plush robe, extra fruit or wanting to buy a premium package for themselves yet use it for their spouse also...give them a chance to explain what "X-ing" the rules means.

I agree with all of the observations excoriating this new trend. Happily, we live in SWFL; and, if this trend becomes reality, then we will probably cancel our two 2012 AQ cruises on the Equinox although I believe that our April 2011 cruise is still safe. On our Christmas cruise, I made the mistake of buying that $200.00, non refundable goodie allowing a booking as though it was being done onboard.

Delightfully, we are only 15-20 minutes from beautiful beaches on Estero and Sanibel Island; and, also not too far from other great beaches in this area.

Lastly, I wonder how this will effect AQ guests, since, our experience in the Blu restaurant has been excellent, both from the standpoint of the quality of the cuisine, service and the guests.

Just a thought....when this rule was "X-ed" by Celebrity was there a thread complaining? Maybe some of the rules Celebrity want's to "X" are good ones like this new rule below they put into action....

Celebrity Cruises has announced that, beginning October 1, 2008, a no-smoking policy goes into effect in staterooms and verandas. Passengers who are caught smoking will find $250 added to their tab, a charge for cleaning the stateroom.

I just spoke to a representative in the Captains Club, and even though I realize that sometimes they are the last to know and often receive the incorrect information, he did not anticipate any major changes. He said it is a marketing ploy. The non-smoking is here to stay because they had to make so many "expensive changes" to get the non-smoking designation with ventilation and such plus they opted for this due to so many passenger complaints of smokey smelling staterooms. He did not think the formal nights would be done away with at all. But like I said, sometimes the Captains Club people are the last to know. He did play all of this down however as I told him there was great concern on Cruise Critic. He said it was to attract more revenue (obviously).

"As a shareholder in RCL and a past Eclipse cruiser who fell in love with Celebrity, I am confused about the intent of your new ad campaign "X the Rules" which reminds me of an inappropriate similar saying- "F the rules". Love your non-smoking policy but will new cruisers decide to X that rule? What about dining shirtless- will that be X'd too? You get my drift,,,Why not drop the 'the' for this-"X RULES"? Think, people!"

I think (at least I hope) that everyone is mis-interpreting and over-reacting to the new ad campaign. I looked at Celebrity's Facebook page, including the X the Rules tab. The message is that Celebrity is much better than the status quo on the average cruise. An example they give of a Rule that you can "X" is "all you can eat but not much that you'd want to." Then it says "Compromise is for the Rest of the Year." Other examples of "Rules" that you can "X" are:

1. Hearing the Macarena music. Again and again.
  2. Cooking while on vacation.
  3. Print muu-muus.

Everyone on this thread is interpreting "rules" to mean things like dress code, smoking restrictions, etc. But I think what the ad campaign means by "rules" is really more in the nature of expectations. At least that's how it looks to me at first glance.

I am not reading the new campaign as a sign X plans to change the rules - I read it as they are portraying a cruise on X as an environment where one is able to escape the rules/restraints of work and daily life. I think this is the intent of the new campaign. My concern is that some people are going to misinterpret the ad campaign as implying that there are no rules on X and that they can do whatever they want. Obviously that would lead to a very negative experience to the vast majority of X cruisers who enjoy X's sophisticated, upscale ambiance and expect people to abide by the rules.

tally10...great to hear that. "X"actly what I thought. People have this ship turning into riff raff over one post. Next thing the store "Target" will be underfire for encouraging "guns" by displaying such a name on their business. Lets not read so much into things and give things a chance and when the rules are out in black and white.....then you can "X" the ship if you don't agree with them. Why get in an uproar over something that isn't in place... Who knows, like the non-smoking rule they implemeneted in 2008 you may just love the rules they "X-ed".

Lets not read so much into things and give things a chance and when the rules are out in black and white.....then you can "X" the ship if you don't agree with them. Why get in an uproar over something that isn't in place...

Not in place? It is the very first thing you see when you go the the Celebrity website! They are telling people to "X the rules" and to do everything they want and nothing they don't want. As per my previous post I think I understand what their intent is, but too many people are at risk to use this new ad campaign to justify their breaking whatever rules they do not wish to follow and to do anything they want while on board.

I just spoke to a representative in the Captains Club, and even though I realize that sometimes they are the last to know and often receive the incorrect information, he did not anticipate any major changes. He said it is a marketing ploy.

Agree-- I don't see this as a first volley in an attempt to turn X into CCL or NCL, the rules will stay in place. It's the problems they'll have if people take the new slogan to mean that Celebrity now has a "nudge, nudge, wink, wink" attitude towards enforcement.

What X is trying to promote is that people's perceptions, especially those of non-cruisers, no longer apply. "The rule is you have to be rich to cruise. The rule is cruising is only for senior citizens. The rule is you have to learn how to play shuffleboard. Well, X the rules!" They're subtly attempting to appeal to everyone's inner rebel, as well as a younger demographic. But when people expect that they're going to be on a freewheelin', anything goes cruise line, there will be friction, both from people who were expecting a party boat and from their regular customers who will be subjected to what is considered inappropriate behavior.

Regarding the no smoking policy...yes there were several contentious threads about the changes. Kind of like the dress code threads that continue.

One fundamental argument that many have with the idea of what "X the rules" may mean (and yes, we all do have to wait to see exactly where all this leads), is that many of us have chosen Celebrity for Xactly what has been represented all these years - the more upscale service, food, ambiance and dress. Many of us carefully looked at what each cruise line offered, and then chose the one that fit our style, and we accepted the pros and cons that may or may not exist on these lines.

I agree, why can't Celebrity continue to hold it's standards above the rest?

Mary

"X the Rules" ... I don't like that slogan. What's that stand for, disorderly conduct??

Better would be "X the Stress"

I totally agree; that would convey the message they appear to be trying to present without permitting some people to take it as a signal they are free to do whatever they want - rule or no rule.

Remember when Chevy tried to market the Nova in Latin American? They never thought about the meaning of "no va" in Spanish. Language is a wonderful thing. Sometimes marketing people just try to become too clever.

Rick, I note that you recently cruised on the Symphony. Although they go all out to please their passengers, they do expect civilized behavior and that enhances all passengers' positive cruise experience. I say X the "X the Rules".

Hi Bobed,

Yes, you're absolutely right.. On Crystal there is indeed an undercurrent (both subtle and explicit) of expectations - those that the cruiseline has towards its passengers AND those that the passengers have toward the cruiseline.. It certainly is a two-way street in that regard.

- Rick

Archived