Celebrity encouraging its passengers to "X the Rules"

Rick-cruiser

We have been enjoying cruising for the last 15 years interspersed with land travel. If there are no longer going to be cruise lines that offer a bit of a more genteel experience, other than the luxury liners, it looks like we may be doing more land travel!

So who was the brilliant person/people in the Public Relations Department

that thought this would be a positive slogan?:eek::rolleyes::confused:....brand new and

they area now having to explain it is not what most think it is.....?

In following cruise critic threads over past yrs, there are noticeably many more liquor smuggling threads for Celebrity than in the past & an explosion of why do I have to dress for dinner debates . The demographic sought & being attracted is clearly changed---

pretty soon there will be no distinction from any other line...so let's all enjoy it while we can esp. for already booked cruises.....then off to Cunard..the last hope (except too much smoking)!!!

I understand the idea they tried to convey but feel they missed the point and in doing so may have sent out a message that could be misunderstood.

What does X-ing the rules have to do with building superior ships that constantly rate high in Conde Nast ?

What rules are broken or X’d when Celebrity provides quality dining on its ships?

Providing personalized service with a great guest to crew ratio sets a standard for others to follow and in my opinion breaks no rules.

All of the above along with Celebrity's claim to offer unexpected experiences is better stated with the old ad phrase “Exceeding all Expectations”.

Just a poor ad with a catch phrase that hints of today's in your face double meaning (and possibly rude) bad taste is the norm attitude.

OMO

bosco

IMHO, if Celebrity needs to make a formal clarification statement regarding their new ad campaign "X the RULES," the campaign is already a failure. Celebrity needs to X its PR/ad agency ASAP.:eek:

X-actly! They'd likesie do well to X the suits in Miami who thought this was a brilliant marketing strategy.

It appears to me that Celebrity has already decided to "X" their rules. We recently returned from the Jan 3 eleven night Millennium sailing and saw:

Both baseball and porkpie hats worn at dinner in the dining room; lots of jeans and numerous men in collarless shirts in the MDR; and , amazingly, on the buffet on the first sea day I saw a woman stroll in barefooted.:eek:

Without a doubt we had the friendliest and happiest crew I have ever encountered but it appears that the concept "the customer is always right" has been pushed farther than I find useful. Without a doubt I believe I would rather sail with the crew as they were better dressed, better mannered and far better behaved than than the passengers as a whole.

What a joke . When I was on the Mercury the last of Oct. and was going to the captains return passenger party they told me I had to go back to my room and change my sandles . They were my dressy sandles. I told the rep at the door this is all I have .I wear them for dress . After a long time argueing with this women she finally let me in . She said in the future You will know better . This was in the early afternoon . After that it is hard for me to believe that this cruiseline would be a anything goes line but who knows . I think if you are at home going out to dinner or on vacation you should at least dress for dinner and not look like you are going to Mickey D's. Not all dressed up but at least look like you care . Make sure you take extra dressy shoes with you or you will be left out . Forgot to say their were people in there with dirty sneekeres . No one said anything to them. Just rambeling

Dianecruiseclues

If Celebrity wants to advertise themselves as a cruise line apart from the norm, why don't they say "X the ordinary"? What we have all liked about Celebrity over the years is the quality of their product and if that is about to disappear because of this stupid ad campaign, then I guess it's goodbye Celebrity for us. There are enough people out there who think the rules are not for them without encouraging them.

Celebrity Posted this on their Facebook page today:

We'd like to weigh in on the comments about Celebrity’s new campaign. Clearly, some have misunderstood the philosophy behind it, so we appreciate the chance to share some insights. 'X the rules' is not at all about encouraging consumers to break rules. Quite the contrary; it is designed to showcase how setting new standards and deviating from what’s expected can yield something different, better and truly special. It’s designed to allow us showcase how Celebrity is different than any other land or sea vacation option through our commitment to setting new standards, and to breaking away from the ordinary and what’s expected to ultimately deliver the best premium vacation experience.

No matter what the response from Celebrity was. their facebook picture says it all..

Life and work have too many rules...

X the rules. ( X meaning exactly what? )

7 days of doing everything you want (REALLY, EVERYTHING???).

and nothing you don't. (WOW)

bosco

app_full_proxy.jpg.e590ab815f6419ceec20c9915847b067.jpg

Try to put a positive spin to X the rules.

Meaning an x-traordinary experience. Like hot tubs open later, better culinary fare, better entertainment, more exotic excursions, more pool side games like where's Waldo, scavanger hunts. These are just examples, positive changes rather then negative changes

I don't think they mean for guests to break the rules but to break out of the ordinary day to day life, to relax, enjoy and be pampered, as we are not at home.

I am x-ing the rules and spending money to enjoy myself. First class all the way, not my norm.

Just my take, as i try to be positive. Must be the nurse in me.

Just a thought....when this rule was "X-ed" by Celebrity was there a thread complaining? Maybe some of the rules Celebrity want's to "X" are good ones like this new rule below they put into action....

Celebrity Cruises has announced that, beginning October 1, 2008, a no-smoking policy goes into effect in staterooms and verandas. Passengers who are caught smoking will find $250 added to their tab, a charge for cleaning the stateroom.

maybe they will replace it with a rule that if you are caught smoking you have to pay everyone on board a $50.00 annoying fee, and swim home

This campaign is an unmitigated success' date=' judging from this board - Everyone is talking about it. Even reciting the tag line! Classic...[/quote']

Brings to mind what the politician would say about publicity. Say whatever you will, just be sure to spell my name right (or was that Wright?).

So does this mean Celebrity will start having belly flop and hairy chest contests? (Had to say it - on another post I started someone mentioned another cruise line does this - it was mortifying and hilarious at the same time!).

:p

Excuse me, but I have a harried chest (Oh, did you say hairy?).:D

Archived