San Pedro from a San Pedran

Wineaux

On a review of a recent cruise running out of the San Pedro Cruise terminal for the NCL Star the poster mentioned that they had to go through one of the new "full body scanners". Do you know if that is true? Has the Port Authority changed over to the new "full body scanners" that are used by the TSA at the major airports or are they using the standard airport walk thru "metal detectors"?

Anyone know the answer to this?

I am just about to pull the trigger on the CP park & sail package. Has any one heard of vandalized cars? It's a work vehicle and I don't want to deal with a corp headache should it be damaged.

Also I have a very long truck. It's sometimes tough to find parking spots at the supermarket let alone trying to navigate it through tight ramps. How is the parking structure as far as manueverability?

There is a post floating around this board that says there is oversize vehicle parking in a lot next door.

If I were you, I would check out the Doubletree's stay/park/sail package. All guest parking is together. Doubletree is not in the downtown area--I could make arguments either way why your truck would be safer or not.

You could try calling the LAPD substation in San Pedro for advice--or perhaps Wineaux would do that for you or has some specific knowledge for you.

Thank you Patricia. I pulled the trigger and took the CP deal. If they can't fit my truck in I'll ask them to change the rate to a standard rate and park @ a the terminal. If it gets broken into, well, I'll cross that bridge if/when it comes.

Thank you Patricia. I pulled the trigger and took the CP deal. If they can't fit my truck in I'll ask them to change the rate to a standard rate and park @ a the terminal. If it gets broken into, well, I'll cross that bridge if/when it comes.

Here's a link to the post I remembered--may not give you a warm fuzzy:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1315080&highlight=parking+crown+plaza

My advice would be to park in the cruise lot if you are worried about it being broken into. CP parking is secure but it is tight and DTI has open-air parking but I've never heard of anyone having a problem.

If you park in the cruise lot you can take the CP shuttle or the Red Car train to get to the hotel.

There is a lot across the street but that is a city lot. Doesn't mean the CP isn't using it and if they are....it's a secure lot.

Edited by Wineaux

Hello frok the CP. I think the park and sail will work well. Left my truck win the valet. Saw my truck in their underground lot. The hotel is very old and dated. The hot water comes and goes mostly goes in the shower. Not happy about that at all. Staff is very nice and attentive.

Hello frok the CP. I think the park and sail will work well. Left my truck win the valet. Saw my truck in their underground lot. The hotel is very old and dated. The hot water comes and goes mostly goes in the shower. Not happy about that at all. Staff is very nice and attentive.

Hmmm... not exactly a ringing endorsement :( I'll be staying the night before our Island Princess Panama Canal cruise in March. If you go to dinner, please let us know where you went and how it was.

Planning to arrive on 5/21 for 5/22 sailing of Splendor via Amtrak from Albuquerque with 4 college students, DH & I. Need 2 hotel rooms, transport from Amtrak to hotel, hotel to pier & back to Amtrak.

Any suggestions? Thought about HI in Redondo about 1/2 mile from beach as we would have almost all day Saturday to 'play' and won't have a car. Also need recommendations on reasonable food in the area of hotel.

Thanks much!! Open to any suggestions! Getting a great deal on the cruise & don't need to spend a small fortune on everything else!

Edited by nmyorkiemom

. I live in Long Beach and would absolutely not stay at a Holiday Inn at 11th and Atlantic. Not a good neighborhood and directly across the street from a major hospital with lots of ambulance noise. .

Agreed. One of the worst nights sleep in a hotel for me EVER! Nothing like non stop sirens all. night. long. That, and we arrived in town after dark. :eek:

Originally Posted by slcreads viewpost.gif

On a review of a recent cruise running out of the San Pedro Cruise terminal for the NCL Star the poster mentioned that they had to go through one of the new "full body scanners". Do you know if that is true? Has the Port Authority changed over to the new "full body scanners" that are used by the TSA at the major airports or are they using the standard airport walk thru "metal detectors"?

Anyone know the answer to this?

We cruised on the Star a week and a half ago and they had normal metal detectors. I would be highly surprised if they had any kind of special scanners, since they are primarily looking for weapons and booze.

I've been to Catalina twice and going again next month for my birthday & there are lockers right next to the building where the Catalina Express arrives and departs. The lockers go back pretty far, used one the last time there.

Thanks for everyone attempting to answer the luggage storage question. I THINK we are going to get around this but I won't be sure for about 90 more days..

I've been to Catalina twice and going again next month for my birthday & there are lockers right next to the building where the Catalina Express arrives and departs. The lockers go back pretty far, used one the last time there.

Thank you for the info! I am still debating whether or not to do a Catalina Day ~ The Catalina Express is ridiculously expensive. I remember the "old days" when there was competition and MUCH cheaper rates.. :o

We will be arriving at LB airport very early (6am or so) on the morning of our cruise departure. Does anyone know how much cab fare is from the LB airport to the cruise terminal? Also, any recommendations as far as a good place to get breakfast either very close to the airport or very close to the terminal?

On our way back after the cruise our flight doesn't leave until 6pm or so from LB. Is there an easy-to-get-to movie theater somewhere close? We were thinking of maybe catching a movie or two if we don't check out Catalina Island.

Is there a place near the Crowne Plaza that sells box wine- preferably Fanzia refreshing white

I just walked up to the liquor store (1 block up from the CP)....they do NOT carry boxed wine. You could ask the CP to take you to Von's at 13th & Gaffey.

I just walked up to the liquor store (1 block up from the CP)....they do NOT carry boxed wine. You could ask the CP to take you to Von's at 13th & Gaffey.

But the liquor store does carry bottled wine?

We will be arriving at LB airport very early (6am or so) on the morning of our cruise departure. Does anyone know how much cab fare is from the LB airport to the cruise terminal? Also, any recommendations as far as a good place to get breakfast either very close to the airport or very close to the terminal?

On our way back after the cruise our flight doesn't leave until 6pm or so from LB. Is there an easy-to-get-to movie theater somewhere close? We were thinking of maybe catching a movie or two if we don't check out Catalina Island.

There is a theater right at The Pike at Rainbow Harbor.

http://www.cinemark.com/theatre-detail.aspx?node_id=1587

I think I read that cab fare is in the order of $30 from LGB to port.

I don't know if it is good, but the Queen Mary serves breakfast. It is right next to the terminal. http://www.queenmary.com/Promenade-Cafe.aspx

This is probably better: http://omeletteinnlbc.com/

This is near the airport: http://www.yelp.com/biz/heritage-family-pantry-lakewood