San Pedro from a San Pedran

Wineaux

2 hours ago, Shmoo here said:

I'm sorry if this has been touched on before, but I don't have time to read the whole thread.

We are arriving in San Diego via Greyhound bus.  13th & National location.  How easy is it to get a taxi there?

I think you have wandered onto the WRONG THREAD.  This one is about the Port of Los Angeles/San Pedro.  It appears you are asking about getting off a Greyhound Bus in San Diego to go on a cruise out of San Diego.  That’s an entirely different city.  Nobody is going to understand your question...or even find your question...on this thread.  You really ought to start an entirely new thread...with a title that specifically mentions San Diego.

9 hours ago, Bruin Steve said:

I think you have wandered onto the WRONG THREAD.  This one is about the Port of Los Angeles/San Pedro.  It appears you are asking about getting off a Greyhound Bus in San Diego to go on a cruise out of San Diego.  That’s an entirely different city.  Nobody is going to understand your question...or even find your question...on this thread.  You really ought to start an entirely new thread...with a title that specifically mentions San Diego.

Whoops!  Sorry.

17 hours ago, Shmoo here said:

I'm sorry if this has been touched on before, but I don't have time to read the whole thread.

We are arriving in San Diego via Greyhound bus.  13th & National location.  How easy is it to get a taxi there?

Although it isn't the "San Diego" forum--yes, lots of taxis in downtown San Diego and should be a short ride.

On 8/24/2018 at 4:57 PM, Cyn874 said:

I'm curious about staying at the Queen Mary as well! We'll be staying there the night after our cruise. Rather than having to get off the ship and go deal with the airport, we'll have one last night to enjoy on the historic ship. Excited, but don't know much about it!

I stayed for one night pre-cruise last year and loved it! I loved the history, the ambiance, and the quiet.  I sat up on the top deck all alone forever.  Be prepared though, the dining options are limited and you are not really close to any others.  

I am planning another solo solo cruise and will bring snacks knowing that I will be eating well on the cruise!

• Like 1

On 1/23/2019 at 4:40 PM, Bruin Steve said:

My favorite in San Pedro is the San Pedro Brewing Company...331 W. 6th Street...a fairly eclectic menu.  I like the Tri Tip Sandwich:

https://sanpedrobrewing.com/menu

Hi Steve...we will be there in April staying @ CP & would love to try this place out but couldn't find on menu if they serve liquor also or just beer...we go for the hard stuff...lol...TIA

4 minutes ago, TLC535 said:

Hi Steve...we will be there in April staying @ CP & would love to try this place out but couldn't find on menu if they serve liquor also or just beer...we go for the hard stuff...lol...TIA

Full bar...with specials:  Margarita Monday...Martini Tuesday,

...Whiskey Wednesday...

Hi Steve,

We will be in San Pedro in April arriving the Friday night before a cruise. We will be arriving on train which doesnt come in until 9pm. We would like to find a bar after we check in (Sunrise Hotel on 6th), I know that you recommend the SP Brewing Company, are there any bars in this area that you recommend staying away from? I have read some reviews onn some.

We have stayed in SP a couple of times before but didn't venture out.

Thanks

Helen

24 minutes ago, Piperpals said:

Hi Steve,

We will be in San Pedro in April arriving the Friday night before a cruise. We will be arriving on train which doesnt come in until 9pm. We would like to find a bar after we check in (Sunrise Hotel on 6th)...

I’m not really so much a bar guy...The only bar I’ve really gone to in Pedro is the San Pedro Brewing Co...However, I can tell you that you’re not going to want to wander too far from there...There are about two or three other bars within a very short distance of there...and you’ll likely not have any trouble popping into any of them to check them out. I would not venture out of that specific area however...

14 hours ago, Piperpals said:

Hi Steve,

We will be in San Pedro in April arriving the Friday night before a cruise. We will be arriving on train which doesnt come in until 9pm. We would like to find a bar after we check in (Sunrise Hotel on 6th), I know that you recommend the SP Brewing Company, are there any bars in this area that you recommend staying away from? I have read some reviews onn some.

We have stayed in SP a couple of times before but didn't venture out.

Thanks

Helen

We are staying at the Crowne Plaza pre-cruise for a couple of nights in January. In addition to SPBC we will be sampling some ales at the Whale & Ale on 7th. Has good reviews.

I will be returning from our cruise with a scheduled time of 6:30 AM - allowing for time to clear the ship and get through customs and wanting to book a shuttle to LAX for a 12:15 International Departure, what time should I book the shuttle?

Hi Steve:

Ex-Californian here, but it's been awhile.  How much time would you estimate LAX to San Pedro port on a Saturday afternoon (November 2).  Looking at direct flight arriving noon, no checked bags, Uber to port, 4pm sailing. 

Doable or cutting it too close?  Can get in earlier (to LGB), but it's not a nonstop.

Thanks!!

• 2 months later...
On 5/16/2018 at 11:19 AM, Bruin Steve said:

In California, supermarkets, drug stores, Walmarts and Targets all sell wine and liquor...Depending on where you are staying, there is a CVS on 7th and Gaffey, a Rite Aid at 5th and Gaffey and a Vons supermarket at 12th and Gaffey as well as the aforementioned Numero Uno (a latino-themed market)...There are also a few liquor stores, including one on Harbor Blvd. right across from the cruise terminal.

But, if you want a very good selection of high quality wines, go to Off the Vine Wines--a wine specialty shop--at 491 W 6th St #103...about two blocks up 6th Street from the Crowne Plaza on the same side of the street.

We're staying at the Doubletree.

How far is that from Off the Vine? Anyone know if the shuttle will take us there?

I also read they have a small restaurant so it might be worth making a trip for dinner and to stock up on wine for the cruise.

On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 12:26 PM, CeeCee59 said:

I will be returning from our cruise with a scheduled time of 6:30 AM - allowing for time to clear the ship and get through customs and wanting to book a shuttle to LAX for a 12:15 International Departure, what time should I book the shuttle?

Great question-I was wondering the same thing? On a Princess ship if that makes a difference.

1 hour ago, SusieKIslandGirl said:

Great question-I was wondering the same thing? On a Princess ship if that makes a difference.

I was on the shuttle at 9:00 AM and had time for lunch at the airport before a 12:30 departure on a flight to Canada.  There were no delays or accidents on the freeway, but I understand that there was some construction planned for the summer months so a local can probably give you more timely information.

I started another post asking about flying in and out of LAX on Southwest but have not have any responses so

I know that Steve is a great resource.  We have not flown into or out of LAX as we have always used Long Beach but due to the aircraft situation with Boeing we find there are not as many flights and the fares are quite high.  Can you tell me anything about the SW terminal at LAX,  is it a terminal for SW only, we are going to need wheelchair assist to and from the gate.  I am little concerned not having traveled to LAX. We also would need an overnight and think we will do that at LAX and go to San Pedro next day. How easy is it to find hotel shuttle.  We are sailing on Royal Princess and are not sure how much time (Fri) we need to have to get back to LAX .  This is a large ship and we would request wheelchair assist to disembark.  We will probably use execucar back to airport.  Any information we can get we appreciate. We have not booked flights as we need the above information.  I think SW has a 12n and a 230p departure on return. We check the Doubletree Long Beach but very expensive - any other hotels near San Pedro?

@meh56  I'm not Steve but live by LGB and try to fly out of there if possible but sometimes have to fly out of LAX.

SW shares its terminal, Terminal 1, with other airlines.  It has recently been remodeled and is nicer and has a better layout than it used to have.  It can be really busy in the morning during the work week but less so on the weekend.

It is the first terminal at LAX as you enter, which can be a blessing, because our last trip up there we were flying out of the Bradley International Terminal, which is at the middle--and it took 20 minutes to get from the entrance of the airport to the terminal!

There will be no free hotel shuttle at LAX for hotels in San Pedro--too far away.  You could spend the night at a hotel near LAX, but if you need wheel chair assistance, etc., you should probably just take Execucar to San Pedro and get reservations either at the Doubletree San Pedro or the Crowne Plaza San Pedro.

Pat

13 minutes ago, meh56 said:

I started another post asking about flying in and out of LAX on Southwest but have not have any responses so

I know that Steve is a great resource.  We have not flown into or out of LAX as we have always used Long Beach but due to the aircraft situation with Boeing we find there are not as many flights and the fares are quite high.  Can you tell me anything about the SW terminal at LAX,  is it a terminal for SW only, we are going to need wheelchair assist to and from the gate.  I am little concerned not having traveled to LAX. We also would need an overnight and think we will do that at LAX and go to San Pedro next day. How easy is it to find hotel shuttle.  We are sailing on Royal Princess and are not sure how much time (Fri) we need to have to get back to LAX .  This is a large ship and we would request wheelchair assist to disembark.  We will probably use execucar back to airport.  Any information we can get we appreciate. We have not booked flights as we need the above information.  I think SW has a 12n and a 230p departure on return. We check the Doubletree Long Beach but very expensive - any other hotels near San Pedro?

Southwest Airlines is in Terminal 1 at LAX...and takes up most of the terminal, though AirTran (owned by Southwest) and US Airways are also in Terminal 1.  Contact the airline ahead of time and arrange for a wheelchair to be brought to you.

Note that LAX is the fourth busiest airport in the world...and many find it intimidating...but, really, it's not that difficult--especially since you are not changing planes there, merely arriving and departing.  The terminals are in a giant horseshoe shape--with Terminal 1 the first terminal as you enter the airport.  There are two levels--one level for arrivals, one for departures--clearly marked by signage everywhere.  When you deplane, you head toward baggage claim, then out to the curb immediately outside where you will find all forms of ground transportation--which can be a little hectic and confusing.  There is signage indicating where you wait for each type of transportation (shuttle services, hotel shuttles, parking lot shuttles, rental car shuttles, fly-away buses and far more).  If you are waiting for a particular hotel, car rental or parking lot shuttle, depending on which one, the wait can be pretty bad at times, with it seeming as though every other shuttle passes six times before you see yours.

My advice is to get as far away from LAX as soon as you can.  I don't even recommend staying at an LAX hotel unless you have to.  Take an Uber, a car service or a shuttle service out of the area as soon as practical--even if late at night.  You'd rather get that part of the trip out of the way and not leave it for the morning--traffic might be horrendous during rush hour--which, in LA, is way more than an hour...

I would stay in San Pedro.  IMHO, there are really only two good hotels in San Pedro--the Crowne Plaza and the Doubletree:

https://www.ihg.com/crowneplaza/hotels/us/en/san-pedro/laxpv/hoteldetail

https://doubletree3.hilton.com/en/hotels/california/doubletree-by-hilton-hotel-san-pedro-port-of-los-angeles-LGBSPDT/index.html

The Crowne Plaza is more convenient to restaurants and to the cruise port, the Doubletree is in a more serene and scenic setting on the yacht harbor.  It is really a matter of personal preference.

Some people also like the Best Western:

https://www.bestwestern.com/en_US/book/hotels-in-san-pedro/best-western-plus-san-pedro-hotel-suites/propertyCode.05708.html

Which is okay, but not in the best part of town--heavily trafficked and not near many restaurants.

As to the return, Noon is very reasonable, 2:30 is very safe...The problem is not the distance from LAX...It's only 20 miles and, even in the worst traffic, rarely takes over an hour.  If you do online check-in and have TSA pre-check, it's not that hard to get to your flight quickly once you're dropped off at the curb.  The real variables come with the cruise ship clearing customs and getting off the ship.  With a wheel chair, they will probably give you priority in skipping the lines at the port...and, if you use an Uber or a car service, you won't have to wait for a van or bus to fill up...

Thank you both for the help. I think we will spend the additional money , take car service to San Pedro. I will look at the hotels you have given us and get out of LAX.  My husband does walk but no long distances and he is very slow. I want to make the travel as easy as possible for him. SW has been very good about wheelchair service and he is comfortable with that. We also have priority boarding with Princess.  Thank you both for your input.

Hi, sorry if this has been asked before, I have only managed to read the last 3 pages so far. We are staying in Hollywood in October for 3 days prior to our cruise to Hawaii ...my question is, how easy is it to get an Uber (UberX) or Lyft on a Sunday morning to take us to the pier.?? Should I risk it being ok and not book anything, or shell out double the cost and book a limo transfer to be on the safe side ? Thank you 

5 hours ago, kasijab said:

Hi, sorry if this has been asked before, I have only managed to read the last 3 pages so far. We are staying in Hollywood in October for 3 days prior to our cruise to Hawaii ...my question is, how easy is it to get an Uber (UberX) or Lyft on a Sunday morning to take us to the pier.?? Should I risk it being ok and not book anything, or shell out double the cost and book a limo transfer to be on the safe side ? Thank you 

Uber is a pretty big thing in the Los Angeles area.  Although I've never specifically tried to get an Uber in Hollywood on a Sunday morning, I've NEVER had any real trouble getting an Uber (and quickly) anywhere in the greater Los Angeles area...they are plentiful here--virtually 24/7...Add in Lyft and you've doubled those virtually 100% odds...

33 minutes ago, Bruin Steve said:

Uber is a pretty big thing in the Los Angeles area.  Although I've never specifically tried to get an Uber in Hollywood on a Sunday morning, I've NEVER had any real trouble getting an Uber (and quickly) anywhere in the greater Los Angeles area...they are plentiful here--virtually 24/7...Add in Lyft and you've doubled those virtually 100% odds...

thank you for the quick reply ...looks like I might just risk it then ...we don't use either Uber or Lyft here in the UK ...(unless maybe in some big cities) so it is all new to me. I presume you can't pre book them from what I have read previously so it just makes me a bit nervous. 

3 minutes ago, kasijab said:

thank you for the quick reply ...looks like I might just risk it then ...we don't use either Uber or Lyft here in the UK ...(unless maybe in some big cities) so it is all new to me. I presume you can't pre book them from what I have read previously so it just makes me a bit nervous. 

Can't pre-book...but it is very simple.  You just load the Uber app on your smart phone or tablet (and input your credit card info)...When you need a ride, you click on the app and type in where you want to go.  The app uses GPS to locate exactly where you are...and gives you prices on various options--like UberX, UberXL, UberBlack, etc. (For two of us and the best price, Uber X is usually sufficient--with a larger party or an overabundance of luggage, UberXL may be appropriate)...

Within seconds, it will give you the name of your driver, his/her car type and license plate number...and a map showing his/her location relative to you and an estimate of how long it will take for him/her to get there (We've never had it be more than 10 minutes)...Then, you can follow his/her path as they approach.  When they arrive, you get in the car and they drive you to your destination with no need to have cash or to pull out your credit card.  The charge goes automatically on your card.  Later, you will be sent an email confirming and offering the opportunity to add a gratuity if you want... It's all very quick and easy...

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/30/2017 at 10:33 AM, GweninTX said:

There are 6 of us staying overnight before our cruise in San Pedro at the Best Western Plus on Gaffey St. We are looking for suggestions for dinner in the area.

Let me know we are staying at the best Western also.  Carol 

1 hour ago, Yo-mom1 said:

Let me know we are staying at the best Western also.  Carol 

Yo-mom,

That question you quoted was actually posted almost two and a half years ago...

But, here you go: 

There is very little near the BW except fast food (McDonald’s, Taco Bell, Wienerschnitzel, Ono Hawaiian and a cheap Chinese fast food across the street)...plus an uninspiring diner and a small sushi place.

Most of the restaurants in San Pedro worth going to are down around the Crowne Plaza...So you either have a long walk (that you may not want to do at night) or an Uber ride...

Raffaello is good for Italian...about two blocks south and two blocks east...at 4th and Pacific...or keep walking another couple of blocks south and another couple of blocks east and find the San Pedro Brewing Company, the Green Onion, Neil’s, Niko’s, Whale and Ale and others...Good luck...