San Pedro from a San Pedran

Wineaux

After reading the great posts on this site, we have made some decisions, but we need some more help. We will be arriving at LAX or SNA on Saturday October 22nd for the Coral Princess Panama Canal transit. We plan to Supershuttle to either the Doubletree or Crowne Plaza in San Pedro. We will be booking the full day LA/Hollywood Tour with Sunseeker for one day. Without a car, what would you suggest in the San Pedro/Long Beach area for the other full day? How can we get around and what would it cost? We love to walk if the area is safe. Also, we have never been to the LA area before, but wish to limit our day to the San Pedro area. Thanks in advance.

Bill

You can stay in town and visit the Maritime Museum and Cabrillo Aquarium. The train will take you to 6th street which is right in front of the museum. You can also explore Ports O Call and then walk through the harbor up 22nd street and visit the aquarium. You will have no problem walking around and with the time change you have a lot of daylight.

What are you doing with your luggage?

Drbillmc- Also check Karmel Shuttle, especially from SNA. They are locally owned instead of a franchise. I've used them a number of times and they are always great- my previous employer used them exclusively and I never heard a colleague complain or talk about a problem. I don't think you can book them online but they will take care of you if you phone.

I'm looking for a map of the area around San Pedro that shows the cruise terminal, hotels and restaurants, etc.

Others have posted ones for Fort Lauderdale, San Francisco, etc and even one in Alaska and the are veery helpful for first timers to a city. Thanks for any help with this.

We will be cruising on May 20, 2011 on the Sea Princess and returning May 30 and plan to stay over 3 days, will be looking for in-expensive lodging, wonder if you could recomend any. We are from South Carolina and Georgia, so will be total strangers there. Really appreciate any info you can provide. Kenny Hughes (SC)and Carlene Bohannon (Atlanta, Ga)

I'd like to start this thread and try and keep it as the definitive "go to" for ?'s about San Pedro. I currently live in San Pedro moving from West LA in 1999 where I lived for 19 years, originally from Macedonia, Ohio. I have lived in the Los Angeles are since 1980. My wife, Alison, was raised here in San Pedro so she has seen it all!!

I find San Pedro to be very misunderstood by TA's throughout the world and those that live in SoCal but are outside the area. San Pedro is definitley a working port town but has plenty to offer cruise passengers as well as those looking to kill an afternoon before heading to the airport.

If you have any questions in regard to our beautiful town please feel free to ask and I will try and answer them to the best of my ability.

Welcome to San Peeeeeeeeedro!!!!

We will be cruising on May 20, 2011 on the Sea Princess and returning May 30 and plan to stay over 3 days, will be looking for in-expensive lodging, wonder if you could recomend any. We are from South Carolina and Georgia, so will be total strangers there. Really appreciate any info you can provide. Kenny Hughes (SC)and Carlene Bohannon (Atlanta, Ga)

Kenny and Carlene,

It's not a simple question...

What do you plan on doing for three days?

What will you use for transportation?

What do you consider "inexpensive?

Los Angeles is a BIG place...

San Pedro is where your ship will sail from and to...but it is a long way from most of the typical tourist sights...

"Inexpensive" here is probably comparable to "expensive" where you are from...

And you don't want TOO inexpensive--that usually means an undesirable area or questionable hotel...

So, let us know what you want to see...Hollywood? Disneyland? The beaches? Cultural sights? Nightlife? Also, do you want to rent a car? ...and we can guide you from there...

Thanks for the reply, we are just getting started planning other than cruise is done and dates for flight getting there May 20 going straight to ship and returning May 30 will be looking for hotel as we leave June 2 flight. Guess that's vague for now but looking for things to do,ways to get around (might have to rent a car but not in plans if don't have to) and even what we can see via trolly ect. Have found hotel Cornell de France on Bush St and couple of others but haven't checked them out. Will have maby to get back with you in a few days. again thanks for the help. -- kenny and carlene

Kenny and Carlene,

It's not a simple question...

What do you plan on doing for three days?

What will you use for transportation?

What do you consider "inexpensive?

Los Angeles is a BIG place...

San Pedro is where your ship will sail from and to...but it is a long way from most of the typical tourist sights...

"Inexpensive" here is probably comparable to "expensive" where you are from...

And you don't want TOO inexpensive--that usually means an undesirable area or questionable hotel...

So, let us know what you want to see...Hollywood? Disneyland? The beaches? Cultural sights? Nightlife? Also, do you want to rent a car? ...and we can guide you from there...

This is one of those threads than make you thankful you found Cruise Critics!

We are sailing out of San Pedro 13 months from now (booked 8 months ago....) so I'm just browsing and getting ideas now.

Thanks to Wineux and the other local experts for making our planning so much easier - we really appreciate you!

Brian

San Antonio

Thanks for the reply, we are just getting started planning other than cruise is done and dates for flight getting there May 20 going straight to ship and returning May 30 will be looking for hotel as we leave June 2 flight. Guess that's vague for now but looking for things to do,ways to get around (might have to rent a car but not in plans if don't have to) and even what we can see via trolly ect. Have found hotel Cornell de France on Bush St and couple of others but haven't checked them out. Will have maby to get back with you in a few days. again thanks for the help. -- kenny and carlene

I had never heard of a Bush St. in Los Angeles, so I looked again at which ship you're on. The Sea Princess sails out of San Francisco, not San Pedro (which is where the Port of Los Angeles is):

http://www.princess.com/find/itineraryDetails.do?voyageCode=C112&tourCode=&date=0511&noOfPax=2&resType=C&definition_name=&bID=PCPB&itinPort=&tourIds=

You may want to start a separate thread about where to stay in San Francisco or search existing threads about San Francisco.

Thanks, my mess up -- will look more closely -- kenny

I had never heard of a Bush St. in Los Angeles' date=' so I looked again at which ship you're on. The Sea Princess sails out of San Francisco, not San Pedro (which is where the Port of Los Angeles is):

http://www.princess.com/find/itineraryDetails.do?voyageCode=C112&tourCode=&date=0511&noOfPax=2&resType=C&definition_name=&bID=PCPB&itinPort=&tourIds=

You may want to start a separate thread about where to stay in San Francisco or search existing threads about San Francisco.[/quote']

• 2 weeks later...

I'll make sure that never happens!!

Just to let everyone know that if you are looking for something to do in San Pedro before or after your cruise there is a new service in town called: Townee Tours. Local resident Angela Romero will take you on an historical tour of San Pedro as well as show you some of the movie and television locations in town. Check her out: www dot towneetours dot com

I'll make sure that never happens!!

Just to let everyone know that if you are looking for something to do in San Pedro before or after your cruise there is a new service in town called: Townee Tours. Local resident Angela Romero will take you on an historical tour of San Pedro as well as show you some of the movie and television locations in town. Check her out: www dot towneetours dot com

After our cruise we have a late flight ...11pm out of LAX ..so this sound like something that might will work for us.. Thanks and keep the infor coming

Unfortunately, I have this question again.. :( I asked mid-February if anyone knew how we could get off a Carnival ship then walk to the Catalina Express and spend the day on Catalina without having our luggage with us... and a couple of people mentioned the lockers at the Catalina Express terminal. I just called the Catalina Express terminal and "due to security reasons" they had to get rid of the lockers.

We are spending the night in BH with some relatives who will be picking us up once we return to the Catalina Express terminal ~ and I really do not want to ask them to meet us at the ship, take our luggage, and then return six hours later to pick us up...

Any new suggestions??

Unfortunately, I have this question again.. :( I asked mid-February if anyone knew how we could get off a Carnival ship then walk to the Catalina Express and spend the day on Catalina without having our luggage with us... and a couple of people mentioned the lockers at the Catalina Express terminal. I just called the Catalina Express terminal and "due to security reasons" they had to get rid of the lockers.

We are spending the night in BH with some relatives who will be picking us up once we return to the Catalina Express terminal ~ and I really do not want to ask them to meet us at the ship, take our luggage, and then return six hours later to pick us up...

Any new suggestions??

Catalina Express won't keep your luggage?

Any new suggestions??

Your relatives REALLY will not want to drive all the way from BH to Long Beach to pick up your luggage and then come back 6 hours later for you...it's a long drive...

You've got a real conundrum...Trying to think of something really original here, maybe call up the Queen Mary or the Doubletree Maya and ask to speak to the Bell Captain...and ask if, perhaps if you slip them a sizable tip, they'll hold your luggage for you? Are you staying anywhere in Long Beach Pre-cruise? We did this once for a cruise...asked DURING our pre-cruise stay--and the Bell Captain did it for us post-cruise as an accommodation (and for a nice tip)...of course, we had stayed in the hotel for several days pre-cruise...

Your relatives REALLY will not want to drive all the way from BH to Long Beach to pick up your luggage and then come back 6 hours later for you...it's a long drive...

Okay... just talking about the one-way deal here... they are going to drive from BH to San Pedro Port to get us and our luggage. How far are they having to drive to get us, one way?? I surely do not want to inconvenience them but they did offer a van for us and our luggage. If it is that far, I would feel too guilty accepting?? :o

You've got a real conundrum...Trying to think of something really original here, maybe call up the Queen Mary or the Doubletree Maya and ask to speak to the Bell Captain...and ask if, perhaps if you slip them a sizable tip, they'll hold your luggage for you? Are you staying anywhere in Long Beach Pre-cruise? We did this once for a cruise...asked DURING our pre-cruise stay--and the Bell Captain did it for us post-cruise as an accommodation (and for a nice tip)...of course, we had stayed in the hotel for several days pre-cruise...

We are doing a B2B on a relocating ship so our pre-cruise is in Seattle & Vancouver, British Columbia. I will check with the places you mentioned, however. We are still unsure if we are going to be able to do this day in Catalina because the Catalina Express is currently only showing "summer hours" from April 2011 to Sept 11, 2011 ~ with nothing for October when we will be there ~ and last year they only ran up to Oct 2nd ~ THE DAY we want to go this year. Unfortunately, this day trip to Catalina may not be feasible at all but I'm TRYING....

According to the Catalina Chamber of Commerce Office there is a luggage storage area on the pier in Avalon.

Catalina Baggage Delivery & Storage Services

Street: Cabrillo Mole # 1

Avalon, ca 90704-

Phone: (310) 510-0766

3 Ratings: star1.pngstar1.pngstar1.pngstar1.pngstar1.pngstar0.png

http://web.userinstinct.com/6147272-catalina-baggage-delivery-storage-services.htm#review

With regards to the priceline bidding, which geographic area do you pick and how many stars? Is it 3 or 3 1/2? On hotwire, a 3 star is currently available for 77 plus 16 in taxes and fees, recommended by 90% of Hotwires previous guests, but only given 3.5 out of 5 stars on TripAdvisor. (possibly the CP?) Also, what times do the free shuttles from each of these hotels go to the port?

We're trying to decide if we're going to take the Super Shuttle from LAX to San Pedro on the day before our cruise or stay at a hotel at LAX and take the Super Shuttle to the port. So, which do you recommend? I am assuming that the Super Shuttle would pick us up at our LAX area hotel and take us to the port. Thanks for your help.

According to the Catalina Chamber of Commerce Office there is a luggage storage area on the pier in Avalon.

Catalina Baggage Delivery & Storage Services

Street: Cabrillo Mole # 1

Avalon, ca 90704-

Phone: (310) 510-0766

3 Ratings: star1.pngstar1.pngstar1.pngstar1.pngstar1.pngstar0.png

http://web.userinstinct.com/6147272-catalina-baggage-delivery-storage-services.htm#review

I know. I've called them several times. They are not open for the season yet. Odd, I think.

THANK YOU FOR TRYING THO!!!!! I REALLY APPRECIATE IT!!

Edited by CupKayke

With regards to the priceline bidding, which geographic area do you pick and how many stars? Is it 3 or 3 1/2? On hotwire, a 3 star is currently available for 77 plus 16 in taxes and fees, recommended by 90% of Hotwires previous guests, but only given 3.5 out of 5 stars on TripAdvisor. (possibly the CP?) Also, what times do the free shuttles from each of these hotels go to the port?

We're trying to decide if we're going to take the Super Shuttle from LAX to San Pedro on the day before our cruise or stay at a hotel at LAX and take the Super Shuttle to the port. So, which do you recommend? I am assuming that the Super Shuttle would pick us up at our LAX area hotel and take us to the port. Thanks for your help.

I would go for the LAX hotel and have the Super Shuttle take you to the port the day of the cruise, especially if you are doing Priceline bidding... but that's just my opinion. :)

Hi Wineaux,

first i would like to thank you for being here to help us out of towners!

second is my question?

is the hotel rodeway inn

on 1665 Pacific Coast Highway, Harbor City, CA, US, 90710 in a bad area?

there is so many of us traveling and need to find a hotel in an affordable range for all of us.

thank in advance!

Hi Wineaux,

first i would like to thank you for being here to help us out of towners!

second is my question?

is the hotel rodeway inn

on 1665 Pacific Coast Highway, Harbor City, CA, US, 90710 in a bad area?

there is so many of us traveling and need to find a hotel in an affordable range for all of us.

thank in advance!

I DO NOT reccomend this hotel. Try the Crowne Plaza or Doubletree via Priceline and you can get either at a pretty decent price. You can try the Sunrise and Vagabond in San Pedro as well.

Inexpensive hotels in Los Angeles are not where you want to go. I'm sure a few others will chime in here as well and advise the same.

Hope this helps!!:)