Cairo Anti-Government Demonstrations

Capricruiser

Well, we just got back from our excursion to Ephesus and the ship is still mum on the subject. We are scheduled to go to Alexandria from here. We are supposed to be there on Sunday. It is hard to get any info on board. Thanks for the updates.

Thank you and if you get a chance, please update us!

This is when internet on board is a good thing;)

Well, we just got back from our excursion to Ephesus and the ship is still mum on the subject. We are scheduled to go to Alexandria from here. We are supposed to be there on Sunday. It is hard to get any info on board. Thanks for the updates.

You're not likely to hear an update until a decision has been made. No need to create a stir until they know for sure. In any respect, their decision will be for the safety of everyone.

During our Mar 2010 cruise aboard the Jade, Greece was canceled due to transportation strikes. We weren't aware of the alternate stop in Sicily until roughly 36 hours before, at which time they promptly published excursion options. Of course there's no guarantee of there being an alternate port either.

According to ABC News this morning (Friday, Jan. 28), the Egyptian government has now shut down internet and cell phone access, is cutting off journalists' access to satellite feeds, and Cairo is "in lockdown."

...and smashing their cameras too! :eek:

Egypt was just cancelled. The captain just came on the intercom to inform us. We are headed for an overnight in Istanbul. Wew should be there around 1 in the afternoon tomorrow. I understand the decision and hope the rest of the ship does. I need to head out of the cabin and get a feel of what is going on.

Anyone have ideas on what to do in Istanbul? Any ideas would be great.

Egypt was just cancelled. The captain just came on the intercom to inform us. We are headed for an overnight in Istanbul. Wew should be there around 1 in the afternoon tomorrow. I understand the decision and hope the rest of the ship does. I need to head out of the cabin and get a feel of what is going on.

Hi,

We went to the bazaar in the am and hit Topkapi Palace and Sophia mosque in the afternoon. We did the bazaar by ourselves (took a taxi) and booked an excursion through the ship in the PM. Istanbul has a lot of history itself. I am disappointed for you not to hit Egypt, but glad the cruise is looking after your safety. Be safe and have fun.

Steph

Tiggerman, see this website for lots of great info on Istanbul, including detailed info how to use the tram to get to the old town (Sultanahmet) where all the major sites are clustered close together and walkable:

http://www.istanbultrails.com/2009/08/istanbul-cruise-ship-port-and-visa-essentials/

Using the tram (which runs right by the dock area), you can be in Sultanahmet in about 10 minutes. Sights include Haghia Sophia, the Blue Mosque, Topkapi Palace, and the Basilica Cisterns. I don't want to hijack this thread, but you can look on the Med -- Other Ports board for a lot of good info.

Well we will be in Istanbul from 1 tomorrow afternoon, all day Sunday and leave at 10 AM on Monday. The Bizaar is closed on Sunday. Would it be feasable to do a taxi to the bizaar tomorrow and then just see the other sights on our own on Sunday (Blue Mosque, Saint Sophia, Topkapi Palace, etc)? They threw some excursions togeather. Should we just take one of those of would a taxi be alright?

Thanks for any help. Everyone on the ship seems pretty clm about the change. We have been following the news as much as we could so it isn't too much of a shock.

Well we will be in Istanbul from 1 tomorrow afternoon, all day Sunday and leave at 10 AM on Monday. The Bizaar is closed on Sunday. Would it be feasable to do a taxi to the bizaar tomorrow and then just see the other sights on our own on Sunday (Blue Mosque, Saint Sophia, Topkapi Palace, etc)? They threw some excursions togeather. Should we just take one of those of would a taxi be alright?

Thanks for any help. Everyone on the ship seems pretty clm about the change. We have been following the news as much as we could so it isn't too much of a shock.

You can take the tram to the bazaar also.

If you want to DIY, and you can give me an email address, I can send you a lot of info. (From a fellow Atlantan! :)).

On the other hand, since this is all so unexpected, maybe you will feel less stressed just taking an excursion....

Sorry (though not suprised) about this but glad you are at least going to what should be a great port. It might be too short notice to get a private tour operator if that's what you'd like, but a company like Ekol Tours (really highly regarded, see the Europe/Other Med Ports section of this board; we used them last year for Ephesus and it was our single best day of the trip) might be able to get you a guide.... Just a thought since you have so little time to plan something yourself.

I'm sorry you are missing Egypt but glad you have a positive attitude; we loved this cruise on the Jade last year, and I hope the rest of your cruise is wonderful!

Mari619, where did you see the advisory? I've been checking travel.state.gov all day, but see nothing for Egypt. My cruise isn't until April, but final payment is coming up in a couple of weeks, and I'm concerned.

After I posted this, I saw an article in the Seattle Times about the travel alert and the State Department should be posting it on travel.state.gov later.

I am writing this from the NCL Jade. We just left Athens and are headed to Turkey tomorrow. We are scheduled to dock in Alexandria on Sunday. I came on here to see if any other ships have missed the port, etc. Right now, our ship is remaining quiet on the subject. They say we are still going, but who knows? The speculation is providing a lot of conversation on board. Other then that, the cruise has been going well....

Appreciate this update Tiggerman. Keep us informed as we are scheduled to follow you. Tim

You can take the tram to the bazaar also.

If you want to DIY, and you can give me an email address, I can send you a lot of info. (From a fellow Atlantan! :)).

On the other hand, since this is all so unexpected, maybe you will feel less stressed just taking an excursion....

Can you send me the info also, just in case? We will go to Istanbul eventually so this will come in handy either way.

admail4us@gmail.com

From a prior Georgia resident living abroad now :)

Archived