Celebrity's new ads: update from Dan Hanrahan

Dan Hanrahan

Mr. Hanrahan, I hope either you or someone else from Celebrity is "monitoring the boards" as you were when this all first started, so that you're aware of the outpouring of thanks and appreciation we're all offering!:):):) You've certainly improved the image of Celebrity Cruises in the minds of many of your best customers-- wait, that's not what you had in mind all along, is it?:eek::rolleyes::D Seriously, I'm certain it's not.

There are many CEO's today who would dismiss such a small, albeit vocal, segment of its customer base, or just give lip service to "closely monitoring the situation" and "making adjustments as we feel warranted", without having any intention of following through. It speaks volumes that you're willing to actually listen to us, reconsider, and make the adjustment.

According to your Cruise Critic member profile, "Dan Hanrahan has not made any friends yet." Not true! You've made dozens, if not hundreds or thousands of friends here this month.

Finally, would you please consider coming back every once in a while for a Q & A session on other topics of interest to us? Thanks!

I too would like to express my sincere thanks to Mr Hanrahan for taking the time to listen to and address our concerns.

The decision to modify the ad campaign after it had already been implemented was no easy task, I'm sure, but it was the correct thing to do in many of our opinions.

Thank you once again for hearing all of us as not a bunch of whiners, but as an extremely loyal customer base.

We love Celebrity for what it is and hope it continues to maintain the class and ambiance that keeps us coming back. Change is not always good.

Celebrity and Mr Hanrahan are truly a step above the rest!

Tiffany

I'm impressed not only with Mr Hanrahan and Celebrity, but also with Cruise Critic. I have been mostly a lurker since I think around 1999, when we took our first Celebrity cruise. I have learned so much about cruising in and Celebrity. We plan our cruises a year in advance normally, and I have so much fun checking the boards every day and "planning" our cruises. To have the president of Celebrity interact with the Cruise Critic members shows how much Cruise Critic is valued by the members and also the cruise lines. Thank you for years of fun and info.

I wish to express my thanks and appreciation to you, Mr. Hanrahan, for responding to the concerns voiced by CruiseCritic members regarding Celebrity's "X the Rules" ad campaign.

Even though many people interpreted the slogan as intended, you are very wise to abandon it because of those potential Celebrity cruisers who read it as an invitation to break rules.

We are looking forward to the publication of the 2012 itineraries so we can book our next European Celebrity cruise!

Mr. Hanrahan, 'X the rules' is not the benchmark with which Celebrity should choose to identify themselves. Thank you for agreeing to come to Cruise Critic to listen to our concerns, and then follow up with additional research. Your willingness to realize the perception that this ad generated among a very loyal customer base, has succeeded in providing you, and Celebrity, with continuing passengers who know their valid concerns will not be abjectly disregarded.

Thank you!

Mary

Hello,

I want to thank you all again for the candid dialogue and questions on the boards last week about our new ad campaign. Your feedback encouraged us to do some additional research -- and to use a different methodology than our prior research. And we got some interesting results. We found that a number of people interpreted "X the rules" exactly as it was intended: To creatively convey what makes Celebrity so special and distinct, and to make our iconic "X" synonymous with the best in cruising. But, there were other consumers who interpreted the line in a way that was not our intention at all. So, we have decided to move away from the "X the rules" ads. You'll see some modifications by this time tomorrow on our web site, as well as in future advertising. Since I had the opportunity to address many of your questions on this topic last week, I wanted you to be among the first to know. And as always, thank you for your passion and support of the Celebrity brand.

Dan

Bravo for listening. How about X= Xceptional. Our Xceptional cruise ships= your Xceptional vacation.

PS If you use this we are on on the 6-7-11 Solstice -dinner in an alternative would be nice :)

Carole-Lee

We were on the Eclipse in AQ Class from 1/15-22 during the beinning of this ad campaign. It was the best cruise we ever had (we've done 12 and three on Celebrity). BTW, loved Blu..Overall the food and service was great.

BUT, would someone please explain to me what were the issues that were discussed? All I see is "Thank you for..." but not what you thanked Dan for (seemed to be thanking him for listening...listening to what?).

I'm most curious what was discussed and what was the Ad message in "X Rules".

Thank you for making some of us apprised of the issues.

I was not offended by the X the Rules campaign and understood what Celebrity was trying to convey. However, obviously many other people interpreted this "tag line" differently than X intended.

Kudos to Mr. Hanrahan for listening to Celebrity's most loyal customer base and adjusting their marketing accordingly. I appreciate that Celebrity is listening.

Mr. Hanrahan - while we have your attention:

Please do not moderate the smoking policy: this is what brought us to Celebrity in the first place; your wonderful service, food and innovative ships are keeping us loyal to the brand.

The message "X the Rules" is now "X is Knowing...". It is a change to a positive statement about Celebrity! Mr. Hanrahan, Thank you!

I could have sworn I asked what the new slogan is. I guess I forgot to push submit. Thanks.

I also would like to express my thanks for both your Q&A as well as your post. What you have accomplished here on CC will bring faith to those who believe that no one listens to them. I first cruised Celebrity on the Zenith and I knew then I was on a class A ship. I still believe that today, and that is why I remain loyal to Celebrity.

I still haven't heard from anyone answering my previous post regarding what some of the issues that were discussed? Dress code? Smoking? Michael's Club? What? Some of us who are Celebrity fans that weren't involved in the discussion are very curious. Thank you.

Check out these threads:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=700

Excellent news Dan, thank you for taking the time to look into this campaign and for visiting our boards again to report your results. I continue to love Celebrity more all of the time!

I still haven't heard from anyone answering my previous post regarding what some of the issues that were discussed? Dress code? Smoking? Michael's Club? What? Some of us who are Celebrity fans that weren't involved in the discussion are very curious. Thank you.

Look in the special section where the CEO answered some questions.

this is the thread that precipitated the concerns:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1341446&highlight=x+the+rules

Archived