Wine in Barcelona

Kruz Guys

I'm sure there is great wine to be found in Barcelona. We would like to take a couple of bottles when we board the ship in Barcelona (and we understand it is 2 bottles only per stateroom, not per person).

Is there a good place close to the pier where we can find a good selection of wine? Or should we look for a market / grocery store / liquor store to get the wine before we board the ship?

Thanks

:D

You should definitely buy the wine before you go to the port. Depending on where you end up staying there should be local stores selling wine, cheese, etc.

One we used was on Rambla Catalunya just a few blocks north of the main square, Placa Cataunya but there are many other possibilities in other neighborhoods.

There is also a large department store at the square with a food floor where you can buy also but I don't know how the prices will compare. Once you are settled in a hotel I'd ask at the front desk.

You should definitely buy the wine before you go to the port. Depending on where you end up staying there should be local stores selling wine, cheese, etc.

One we used was on Rambla Catalunya just a few blocks north of the main square, Placa Cataunya but there are many other possibilities in other neighborhoods.

There is also a large department store at the square with a food floor where you can buy also but I don't know how the prices will compare. Once you are settled in a hotel I'd ask at the front desk.

Thanks for that information. I didn't think it would be difficult. Lot of places to find what we want. ;)

Inside the Santa Caterina Market, there's a wonderful open-kitchen bistro/wine bar/wine shop...may even offer tastings. And you'll be able to pick out any cheeses/specialties in the marketplace, too. Enjoy!

Sounds terrific!

I wish I were there now! ;)

You'll be spoiled for choice for wine in Barcelona! And many places are easy to access from the cruise pier.

El Cortes Ingles at the top of Las Ramblas on Placa Catalunya is a large Spanish department store with a good wine selection in their basement supermarket. Be sure to check the end aisle displays for daily wine specials. We got some incredible deals!

Also, midway up Las Ramblas heading towards Placa Catalunya from the port, on the left side, is a Carrefour Express. They have a decent wine & cava selection. Not as good as El Cortes Ingles but still OK.

And finally, there is a wine shop towards the back of La Boqueria, the iconic market which is also off Las Ramblas.

It may be possible to buy wine at the cruise pier but the selection will be less than available elsewhere.

You'll be spoiled for choice for wine in Barcelona! And many places are easy to access from the cruise pier.

El Cortes Ingles at the top of Las Ramblas on Placa Catalunya is a large Spanish department store with a good wine selection in their basement supermarket. Be sure to check the end aisle displays for daily wine specials. We got some incredible deals!

Also, midway up Las Ramblas heading towards Placa Catalunya from the port, on the left side, is a Carrefour Express. They have a decent wine & cava selection. Not as good as El Cortes Ingles but still OK.

And finally, there is a wine shop towards the back of La Boqueria, the iconic market which is also off Las Ramblas.

It may be possible to buy wine at the cruise pier but the selection will be less than available elsewhere.

Excellent! Thanks so much. I'll be sure to swing by and pick up a bottle or two. Thanks.

Inside the Santa Caterina Market, there's a wonderful open-kitchen bistro/wine bar/wine shop...may even offer tastings. And you'll be able to pick out any cheeses/specialties in the marketplace, too. Enjoy!

Where is this market located?

The wine rules are different for Barcelona than the states. You can bring as much as you want on in the states per cabin, but in Barcelona on 2 bottles per cabin?

We are going on our first NCL cruise on the Epic in March and then this summer on the Epic in Barcelona. I read the boards and we are bringing wine for the Miami, but I did not know about the limit for Barcelona.

Thanks for the info

I believe there is no limit when you bring on wine with NCL, but you will pay $15 corking fee for each bottle. Depending on how much of a "bargain" you find in port, you still may pay less than the per bottle charge on ship.

B. Cole

It has been our experience that with NCL you can bring on wine (no limit) but pay a corking fee per bottle. However, with Celebrity, we have found that they limit the wine you bring on board to 2 bottles per stateroom when you first board. After that, you are not allowed to bring more on board. At least that is the policies we've read and experienced ourselves.

If we are incorrect please let us know.

We're looking forward to sampling the wines in Barcelona!

Thanks to all for your responses. ;)

Just to add a bit about wine. Cava is not just "sparkling"wine, it is actually made in the same way as champagne. You might try El Xampanyet on Montcada 22 to sample some. You might try Bar Zim next door to La Seu cheese shop at Ca Dagueria 20. Both are fun for sampling. You can use Google to see locations on a map.

All are walking distance in the old part of town.

Just to add a bit about wine. Cava is not just "sparkling"wine, it is actually made in the same way as champagne. You might try El Xampanyet on Montcada 22 to sample some. You might try Bar Zim next door to La Seu cheese shop at Ca Dagueria 20. Both are fun for sampling. You can use Google to see locations on a map.

All are walking distance in the old part of town.

Sounds good to me. Will have to try it out. ;)

Archived