Cruise Critic Community
indiana71

Caribbean-Cruising Fashonista

DH has given me his shirts, but not pants for dinner...all will get ironed and packed. Since we're flying, suitcase weight is important. Don't think either will be over the limit, but always a sigh of relief when completely packed. Luggage scale gets packed, too; for the return trip....don't want to think about that yet!

It's a BEAUTIFUL day in northwestern PA. Didn't need a heavy jacket to go out - cold temps coming and possibly an inch or 2 of snow.;p

We attended a 7-course Wine Dinner on Saturday. LOTS of LBDs! I wanted to go up to some of these well-dressed ladies and ask, "Where do you shop??";p

It's not like I need another cocktail dress (if that's even still a term...), but most of them are timeless and elegant.

Too bad, in my small town, there are only a couple opportunities to dress up!

QUESTION: Do you have "Dress Up" dresses that are only for cruises, or are there other times you can wear them ?

We attended a 7-course Wine Dinner on Saturday. LOTS of LBDs! I wanted to go up to some of these well-dressed ladies and ask, "Where do you shop??";p

It's not like I need another cocktail dress (if that's even still a term...), but most of them are timeless and elegant.

QUESTION: Do you have "Dress Up" dresses that are only for cruises, or are there other times you can wear them ?

It is nice to be able to get dress up every once in a while. I very rarely get the chance to dress up. We do go to my DH's college and Grad school reunions. But they are not that dressy. My college reunion I don't go to, I don't want to trave for that. so, I only get dress up on a cruise. I use the same outifits.

Like you said, I see woman wearing beautiful dress and wonder where they shop. But, I found out that what looks great on them may look "funny" on me. I have gone shopping and tried on dresses and suits that look like what I see others wearing, but they look "funny" on me. Just not my style, and it shows. Yet, I love it on others.

I have two or three dress up dresses that are only for cruising. I picked them because they look good, but they pack down to NOTHING!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Hi Fashionistas! I need your opinions! I'm heading out on Oasis of the Seas in less than 3 weeks :hearteyes:, and I'm getting my outfits together. I've recently lost 30 lbs (YAY), but that has left me with a somewhat limited wardrobe. Formal night is causing me anxiety :'). I really don't want to go buy dresses for just this cruise - I'm still losing, plus I live in Colorado, which is super casual, and I literally never get that dressed up here. SO. I have a nice black skirt. I was thinking of wearing a pretty blouse and black skirt, but I'm afraid I'll be under dressed. Any thoughts???

Curlymason, you’ll be fine in that. Formal night isn’t what it used to be. Now more of what you’d wear to Brown Palace or Broadmoor. I’m also from Colorado

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Question: How do you store your jewelry at home? I need to organize my jewelry so I can see it better in my drawer. Little boxes that I can't just see into are a pain to find something. Any ideas from my fashion minded friends?

Question: How do you store your jewelry at home? I need to organize my jewelry so I can see it better in my drawer. Little boxes that I can't just see into are a pain to find something. Any ideas from my fashion minded friends?

hi

i have a jewerly holder that hangs above my dressing table it has hooks which you hang all your necklaces, braclets. its a bit chabby chic looking. its about 12in/14ins long. but i cant remember where i bought it from!!!. i cant even put a pic on, because i dont know how. lynn

hi

i have a jewerly holder that hangs above my dressing table it has hooks which you hang all your necklaces, braclets. its a bit chabby chic looking. its about 12in/14ins long. but i cant remember where i bought it from!!!. i cant even put a pic on, because i dont know how. lynn

That sound good. But, I need to have it in a closet or a draw. Like you I don't know how to post pictures to well.

That sound good. But, I need to have it in a closet or a draw. Like you I don't know how to post pictures to well.

I suppose you could hang it inside one of your wardrobe doors. Thats what i have done with my scarves. Fastened some cord at the back of my wardrobe door and hung the scarves..x

My jewelry isn't in drawers, either...DS (the contractor) made a really cool contraption that sits on a dresser.

I keep earrings in plastic boxes from Michael's that are sold to hold beads for jewelry making. Each box holds a particular color or silver, gold, etc.

You could use those plastic boxes and cut off the lids. Some of the insides are adjustable.

When CCF first started, it was easy to post photos...sadly, I have tried many times without success:loudcry:. It was much easier when pictures were included.

Also - look on amazon and etsy for creative ideas - even pinterest could help.

Today DH & I traveled back to our old town. DH has been doing an annual fundraiser for United Way and local homeless veterans for many years on his Oldies radio program. While he was raising $45,000!!! (wonderful for the recipients...), I was shopping:) -

Labels include: Banana Republic, Talbot's, LL Bean, Ralph Lauren, Land's End, Nautica, Ann Taylor, Liz Claiborne and White House Black Market....ALL from my favorite Goodwill Store...I tried on 21 pieces of clothing and bought 15...at a total cost of $45.00.

Most items are winter but got a couple cruise-worthy tops and my best bargain was an LBD, White House Black Market with 3/4 sleeves:cool:.

I am beyond happy with my bag of goodies. The LBD will be perfect for the January cruise out of Bayonne.

curlymason: I agree that your skirt and top will look just fine. You can add some sparkly jewelry if you think it needs a little more oomph.

Today DH & I traveled back to our old town. DH has been doing an annual fundraiser for United Way and local homeless veterans for many years on his Oldies radio program. While he was raising $45,000!!! (wonderful for the recipients...), I was shopping:) -

Labels include: Banana Republic, Talbot's, LL Bean, Ralph Lauren, Land's End, Nautica, Ann Taylor, Liz Claiborne and White House Black Market....ALL from my favorite Goodwill Store...I tried on 21 pieces of clothing and bought 15...at a total cost of $45.00.

Most items are winter but got a couple cruise-worthy tops and my best bargain was an LBD, White House Black Market with 3/4 sleeves:cool:.

I am beyond happy with my bag of goodies. The LBD will be perfect for the January cruise out of Bayonne.

It is wonderful that your husband gives his time and talent to such great causes.

Looks like your really scored at the store. It is great to walk out with full bags.

e79defceb442bedfe27c794a526d5211.jpg

Just posting a picture from the library on Norwegian Star, my next booked cruise.

Just an experiment to see if you can see it.

Wore my previously posted long sleeved anchor shirt today. Met my cruising roomie for dinner and she immediately said"are we going on a cruise?"

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

e79defceb442bedfe27c794a526d5211.jpg

Just posting a picture from the library on Norwegian Star, my next booked cruise.

Just an experiment to see if you can see it.

Wore my previously posted long sleeved anchor shirt today. Met my cruising roomie for dinner and she immediately said"are we going on a cruise?"

Yes I can see it. Happy to hear that you have another cruise booked

I think there's someone on this link going on the Horizon TA too! We just chose not to fly to Spain. Taking the Star over.

I think there's someone on this link going on the Horizon TA too! We just chose not to fly to Spain. Taking the Star over.

I will be on the Horizon TA - this will be my fifth transatlantic (yes you do become addicted)....and I think I have convinced hubby to start out trip in PARIS!!! (always wanted to go and my bday is in April so this is perfect).... I have been to Barcelona many time but he has not - but we both want to see Paris - so will head out a few days early and spend some time there and then take the train to BCN (hubby also loves trains LOL)....and spend a few days there pre-cruise! :)

I will be on the Horizon TA - this will be my fifth transatlantic (yes you do become addicted)....and I think I have convinced hubby to start out trip in PARIS!!! (always wanted to go and my bday is in April so this is perfect).... I have been to Barcelona many time but he has not - but we both want to see Paris - so will head out a few days early and spend some time there and then take the train to BCN (hubby also loves trains LOL)....and spend a few days there pre-cruise! :)

That sounds GRAND! We will be there on the 6th. Arriving on NCL Star. On the 8th were taking a foodie tour. Can't wait.

I also love planning outfits and usually take over a spare room for the planning stage. I love tropical easy care fabric items, too! I like to put whole outfits together with everything that will be worn with them - underclothing, jewelry, the works! - into gallon zip bags. Keeps everything organized and I never have to worry about anything spilling on my bag. My kids joke about getting voted "most prepared" at Girl Scout camp from me doing this for each day of camp. :')

At least they were never the kid who got to camp with two pairs of underwear for 2 weeks. :cool:

I am LOVING this thread, Indiana 71 you are so right about the self-pampering, I ain't dressing for nobody but me! And in some cases I will take my husband's feelings into account.

I'm about 50 days out from my first Caribbean cruise so I'm trying to take advantage of off-season items in the sales. I did just pay full price for a gorgeous cover-up/play suit which I'm only ever going to be able to wear in tropical climes, the shorts are just too short otherwise! I don't think I have anything cruise-specific but after reading this thread I might pick up a little cocktail dress which won't crease as I am definitely going to the MDR for formal night....I had been thinking about just wearing a sundress or slightly dressier top and skirt but I think you fashionistas have changed my mind!

So for a 6 day cruise, I'm thinking

2 shorts- 1 denim, 1 chino

2 sundresses

1 cocktail dress

2 coverups for beach/ pool/ lunch

1 skirt, denim or neutral colour jersey

4-5 tops that work with shorts and skirt

Gym shoes

Flip flops

Pool shoes

Dressier flat shoes ( I don't really do heels)

1 hoodie/ cardigan

1 lightweight wrap/scarf

Reading this over, it sounds like less than I've taken on any holiday, ever! So I'd definitely day that planning ahead ensures you don't overpack. Too much. I'll probably throw in a few extras before I close the case, but I've bought some packing cubes, so if those babies are full, there's no more getting in!

Aren't we so lucky we have a place like this to discuss these things? 😊

Geocruiser, thrift shops in Manhattan are the holy grail. On our last holiday in New York, I bought two Ralph Lauren blazers and a cashmere sweater for under $30, it was a highlight of the vacation. It was a couple of years ago, I just hope I can make my way back to the shop when I'm next there!

Here’s a favorite pic of us from our cruise last week (snowing here now)05e66422fc649d4f9fa449839cb7340b.jpg

Happy 2018 everyone!! I used to be active in this thread years ago... life picked up, but finally have another cruise planned for Dec 10th!! I haven't been on a cruise in almost 2 years, and we're (hubby and i) going to the Southern Caribbean for the first time!! So excited, I've been reading everyone's posts trying to catch up. 322 days to go....

Happy 2018 everyone!! I used to be active in this thread years ago... life picked up, but finally have another cruise planned for Dec 10th!! I haven't been on a cruise in almost 2 years, and we're (hubby and i) going to the Southern Caribbean for the first time!! So excited, I've been reading everyone's posts trying to catch up. 322 days to go....

How exciting for you. We leave April 22 for our first TA