Profane balcony neighbors

Dena

I just can't agree with the comparisons between Carnival and Princess cruisers. We, although prefer Princess' experience, have had the worst mannered neighbors on Princess, and have always had lovely neighbors on Carnival. Our last Carnival cruise, a b2b on the Splendor, all of our table mates ended uo on the aft like us, we'd all wave to eachother while out on our balconies. One was a doctor, the other a lawyer and I can't remember what the ladies did. Our neighbors on each side were very quiet. The woman next door's daughter had just gotten married on the ship, I offered her a bottle of champagne, as the cruise director had sent us 3.

Now Princess, our last cruise a 10 day RT San Francisco was almost the last straw for us, we too were in a mini suite, our neighbors were travelling together, loud and obnoxious does not even cover it! Expletives were constant, and not just said but yelled. They also thoroughly enjoyed smoking pot out on the balcony, early in the AM to late in the PM. I am not one to haze someone for smoking, but it was so strong it made my throat hurt, we had to go inside quite a few times until it eventually seeped into the cabin itself. Generally we LIVE on our balconies! We love to be out there. We always have slamming doors, yelling companions, loud TV's and loud laughter in the halls on Princess. We've yet to experience that on Carnival, not saying it doesn't happen as I'm sure it does, but that has not been our experience.

I wonder if part of the problem is that Princess has had to lower their prices so much on the Mexican Riviera route that we are getting Carnival types (but even on Carnival I would guess that passengers this obnoxious are rare).

I wonder if they have been banned on Carnival?

Having said that, has anyone heard about someone being banned from a particular cruise line???

I find the comments that lower prices mean lower class of person, thus poor behavior and manners outright offensive. Bad manners are seen in every class.

Good for you! The whole tone of this thread was making me feel uncomfortable. It started out innocently enough, but turned into something snobbish in a hurry. Good and bad can be found in any socioeconomic group, any race, color, creed or religion. Let's not be so judgmental, folks.

I find the comments that lower prices mean lower class of person, thus poor behavior and manners outright offensive. Bad manners are seen in every class.

Good for you! The whole tone of this thread was making me feel uncomfortable. It started out innocently enough, but turned into something snobbish in a hurry. Good and bad can be found in any socioeconomic group, any race, color, creed or religion. Let's not be so judgmental, folks.

I absolutely agree with both of you!

I agree with you. On our Celebrity cruise a couple years ago the rudest people were the so called "snobby rich". One lady who refused to wait in line literally fell off the ship. "Walking backwards and talking" means "complaining and pushing her way to the front of the line". I know, I was there and saw it.

http://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/local/passenger_in_gangway_plunge_1_1870598

My point is this, just because people sail on Carnival or a "higher end" cruise line doesn't mean they are of any better financially than anyone else. We met THE best tablemates on our Carnival cruise that lived in Miami. They even invited us to their house for dinner after the cruise since we weren't leaving until the following day. You can run into any types of people on ANY cruise line. Here's hoping our balcony isn't ruined when we travel in a few weeks.

And don't forget age. On our December cruise, many of those over a certain age were not very well behaved. One of their peers even told me that she had never seen a ruder bunch of passengers...and they were in her age group. My hubby and I heard some argument between a teenaged boy and a man (probably 60s or 70s), and the man called the boy a word starting with an "A" (we don't know what led to that point). That was a couple of days after an elderly woman called our 13-yr-old that same word in the Horizon. Probably because my daughter was moving around quickly to get to the food she wanted. But not a reason to use some language toward another (and something my girl wouldn't say to anyone's face, I hope).

I think some of these people everyone's been talking about in this thread just lack manners, and that's not necessarily a function of moneyed status or race or anything else, other than upbringing.

Several years ago on the second voyage out of NYC ,before the tilt, we were on the Crown,I was on our Mini balcony on D deck reading a book when I was hit on the head with ice and booze from A deck.I called security and headed to the medical center .Stitches later security got the culprits and I was not charged for medical charges.Kathe

Several years ago on the second voyage out of NYC ,before the tilt, we were on the Crown,I was on our Mini balcony on D deck reading a book when I was hit on the head with ice and booze from A deck.I called security and headed to the medical center .Stitches later security got the culprits and I was not charged for medical charges.Kathe

OMG!!!!!!!! That is just plain awful!

We have had a loud neighbors. The last cruise was the worst. No profanity, just the whole family had loud voices that carried very well. Could hear the father through the walls. Got kind of funny after a while.

Will say they spent a ton of time with their daughter playing games and such. And we would know since we heard every game they played LOL. Just spent more time in other areas of the ship.

rude ignorant people come with every dollar amount....

what the OP experienced is horrible and annoying, but people who look down or treat the staff/other cruisers as 'beneath' them make me sick too....

(I've seen that on all 3 cruiselines)

Money can even make some people more obnoxious because they feel entitled.

what the OP experienced is horrible and annoying, but people who look down or treat the staff/other cruisers as 'beneath' them make me sick too....

I agree.

The only rude people we encountered on our past cruises were people that obviously had money. I think some peoples snobbish attitudes are really showing on this thread.

I don't think money always equals good manners. I've seen plenty to prove otherwise.

Isn't that the truth!

We have the perfect solution for this problem. We take four other couples with us, book two couples on either side with us in the middle. We have very pleasant neighbors, and five balconies all opened up to visit. Works great!

Guilty as well ;)

I'm almost becoming immune to the cursing world. We have 2 kids at home, both in college, ages 22 and 19. Between them and their friends, we hear a whole lot more dirty language than we care to. But for them it's just words without the same impact...pity. My neck doesn't clench up quite as much as it once did when I first heard it come out of the older ones mouth.

I do mention to them (lecture) about how filthy language just makes a person look uneducated, like they can't express their true feeling in a more intelligent way. Then, they overhear me slamming the door on my finger/toe and lecture me as well. I explain to them that cursing has it's proper place :D

I agree...I have seen some passengers outright rude to the staff for no reason...these are probable the same people that complain about bad service.

I agree...I have seen some passengers outright rude to the staff for no reason...these are probable the same people that complain about bad service.

A cruise that we took on the Ruby to the Med had a large older population demographic. I have never heard ruder bunch of passengers, they treated the staff like dirt and it was rare to hear please or thank you. It didn't spoil our cruise but it did leave a bad taste and I was ashamed for them, they were all old enough to know way better.

Terry

Archived