Bonaire review

fountain44

Little late posting this but thought I might for other informational purposes. We went to Bonaire in late Novemeber. Give a little background info we went on Princess' Carribean Princess for seven days out of San Juan. The day we arrived in bonaire it was overcast and a little windy.

Bonaire is kind of a desert island and not a whole lot to see. There are some descent shops and bars down on the wharf. But as for the island there really isn't much to do or see. The beaches we visted were rather small and kind of full of trash that day. I would not reccomend this island if this is one that you wanted to hit. From what I saw and heard if you come to this island you may want to get a trip out snorkeling or somewhere else. I would rate this island overall a 6 out of a ten from experience of 4 cruises and seeing over a dozen islands.

I would rate Bonaire as a 10 on the 1-10 scale. But you have to get wet!

It is one of the worlds best snorkeling sites because the coral reefs are a few feet off-shore in shallow water. Most of the rest of the Caribbean require a boat ride to get to a snokle site that isn't half as good as what Bonaire offers right from shore.

You can see more fish and sea life in one place than on any other island in the Caribbean.

RubyPrincess144.jpg

RubyPrincess158.jpg

RubyPrincess2010742.jpg

RubyPrincess502aasmall.jpg

RubyPrincess2010426small.jpg

RubyPrincess2010529small.jpg

Erinke919 I would say wait until you get on the boat to see what type of camera they have we were looking at a camera that went under water for $200. I saw a women one day get a camera a ship for $99. But I would say do you homework before going on the ship.

An underwater camera without a viewfinder can be a real pain. With the glare and/or lighting issues down below, you tend to point and shoot hoping for the best. If you're lucky, you get what you hoped to get. Any recommendations on underwater cameras, reasonable price range, WITH a viewfinder?

Make arrangements to go out with Woodwind Snorkel and Sail. I promise, you won't be disappointed! They are very safety conscious, and even "not great" swimmers can do their trip. They even have prescription glass masks so that you can actually see!:D

Thanks

I used the canon D10. If you click on the link in my signature... you can see my trip report with all the photos I took above and below water with the D10.

You got some great pictures, thanks for sharing! I cannot wait to go to Klein Bonaire! I really wanted to buy the D10, so badly but I didnt sell my other companion camera in time..:( My husband thinks I really dont need 4 cameras right now, so I will probably have to try the el cheapo disposable to get through this trip with...

We have been to Bonaire twice which we loved. We snorkeled with Renee twice and will look forward to snorekling again with her if we go back. We also took a tour of the island and saw a lot of flamingo, the salt beds and the slave huts. It might look like a lot of desert land but it was a raw beauty and we loved the small town and shops. Everyone has their own view of things but, we loved the island and would like to go for a land trip next time.

Paula B

It is one of the worlds best snorkeling sites because the coral reefs are a few feet off-shore in shallow water. Most of the rest of the Caribbean require a boat ride to get to a snokle site that isn't half as good as what Bonaire offers right from shore.

You can see more fish and sea life in one place than on any other island in the Caribbean.

RubyPrincess144.jpg

RubyPrincess158.jpg

RubyPrincess2010742.jpg

nice pics. And thats why I stated I think you need to go on a snorkeling trip or something. The island its self I just cant rate it that high and would pass on it in the future

nice pics. And thats why I stated I think you need to go on a snorkeling trip or something. The island its self I just cant rate it that high and would pass on it in the future

Thanks... I understand your rating and it makes sense if someone is not into water-sports. Its just funny to me because I picked my cruise solely because I always wanted to snorkel from the beach, and Bonaire was always rated as one of the best in the world for big reefs close to the shore (which is actual quite rare).

Very much enjoyed the beautiful pics; checked out the whole album and enjoyed the trip that we will be leaving on Sunday, March 13. We are starting in San Juan, but many of your stops are the same. Thanks for sharing:)

Very much enjoyed the beautiful pics; checked out the whole album and enjoyed the trip that we will be leaving on Sunday, March 13. We are starting in San Juan, but many of your stops are the same. Thanks for sharing:)

• 2 months later...

RubyPrincess2010742.jpg

I would travel to Bonaire, especially after seeing your photos. I'm new at snorkeling and I haven't seen anything as beautiful as what I've seen in your pictures. I've scuba dived twice..Once in St. Thomas and Cozumel, Mexico and didn't see much. Maybe because I was in shock that I was actually scuba diving!!:eek::D But the thrill afterward was exhilarating..I was hyped! I loved it.

Thank you sooo much for sharing your album. Such beautiful pictures and stories! (I fell in love with your love story)

I love your adventurous spirits. You're both perfectly matched.:)

May God bless you with many more years to love, grow and together explore this wonderful world.

I would travel to Bonaire, especially after seeing your photos. Thank you sooo much for sharing your album.

May God bless you with many more years to love, grow and together explore this wonderful world.

Thanks for the kind words :)

Keep an eye-out for cruises that include Bonaire, its a great stop for snorkelers. :D

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

RubyPrincess144.jpg

RubyPrincess158.jpg

RubyPrincess2010742.jpg

I agree with you.

Great photos markstudy! We were in Bonaire 2 years ago and picked this years' itinerary so we could go back. We are not snorkelers but enjoyed the Mangrove boat trip. This time we are doing the glass bottom boat to Klein Bonaire so we should see some good stuff!

Great photos markstudy! We were in Bonaire 2 years ago and picked this years' itinerary so we could go back. We are not snorkelers but enjoyed the Mangrove boat trip. This time we are doing the glass bottom boat to Klein Bonaire so we should see some good stuff!

Whatw can you tell me about the glass bottom boat ? Is it a Princess tour? We are going to Bonaire this Oct.

No, it is a Holland America tour and I do not know much about it but ours goes over to Klein Bonaire which is supposed to be excellent for snorkelling so we should be able to see fish etc from the glass bottom boat. I keep checking your post to see if anyone has posted. Hope someone does!

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

RubyPrincess144.jpg

RubyPrincess158.jpg

RubyPrincess2010742.jpg

Totally agree with the above!

Yes, you do have to GET WET to fully enjoy Bonaire!

Archived