New York Post Cruise Advice Please

Warm Breezes

We are traveling on the Carnival Glory out of NY in July. We will be staying pre-cruise (1 night) and post-cruise (3 nights) at the Embassy Suites Seacaucus (sp??). We will be driving from Michigan and plan on parking at the port. Our cruise returns on Thursday. I have the Statue of Liberty tour booked Friday in the AM with the ferry from NJ. I have the Rockette Experience booked for DD(14), who is a competitive dancer, booked for Saturday AM. We would like to see Times Square, the Empire State Building, and the WTC site. What is the best way for us to get to where we want to go and when would be the best time for us to see the additional places we want to see? Are there any other places we should have on our list to see that are close to where we will be? What restaurants would you recomend for the areas we are travelling to? I appreciate any advise you could give me as we are New York rookies. FYI...It will be myself, DH, DS(17), and DD(14).

Did you know that Embassy Suites offers a package that includes parking for the duration of your cruise plus one way transportation to the Manhattan cruiseport? This might be worth looking into since the port parking is $30/day.

What time are you booked for the SOL on Friday? By going from NJ you may have created a logistical issue for yourselves. If you drive and park at Liberty State Park, then you have to get back there to retrieve your car. That's no problem if you take the boat back there from the SOL, but it's also possible to take the SOL boat back to lower Manhattan to do stuff in NY (i.e. the WTC site). Could you give us more details about your plans for Friday? If you pay to park in Jersey City near Exchange Place, it is possible to take the Warren St. ferry across the channel to the SOL ferry. If you continue on to NYC to explore downtown Manhattan, it is possible to take the Path train back to NJ one stop from the WTC to Exchange Place.

For Saturday the best way to get into NY is by bus - I understand the bus runs right by Embassy Suites - perhaps someone will have those details. The Rockettes, Times Square, and the Empire State are all in midtown Manhattan - you can walk between them.

If you take the bus from Seacaucus, it will bring you to the Port Authority Bus Terminal which is on 42nd and 8th Ave, the heart of Times Square. The Rockettes are at Radio City Music Hall which is 52nd and 6th. While you are there you will be at Rockefeller Center. This is where the Today show is. I don't know if you are interested in getting up very early and standing outside and waving. There is also the NBC Experience Store, which is a tourist thing, you get a tour of NBC, but if you don't want the tour, I just like looking around. They make pictures using technology, so you can have a picture of yourself doing the weather with Al Roker, things like that. Also in Rockefeller Center is The Top of The Rock, which is another observation deck in NYC. From here you can see the Empire State Building. Literally across the street (5th Ave.) is Saint Patricks Cathedral. It is something just to go in and take a peek at the enormity and beauty of it all. When you finish Rockefeller Center, walk down Fifth Avenue towards 34th Street. This is where the Empire State Building is. Also on 34th Street is Macys, which just for the size of it, I am sure your teenage daughter will love. Around the area of Macys are lots of shops appealing to teenagers, such as H&M. After Macys walk back up to 42nd Street. I would walk along 7th Avenue until I reached 42nd, and then up to 8th Ave. Lots of small shops that appeal to teenagers around here. I would stay in Times Square until it is getting dark to see the effects of the lights in the dark.

Then you have an entire whole day for the next day. If your kids liked the movie "Night At The Museum", I would take then to the Museum of Natural History, and then Central Park. But I am not sure if that would interest your kids. Another option would be to take the kids to a Broadway show. There are several shows that appeal to teenagers. I would recommend Wicked, but those tickets are hard to come by and rarely discounted, but they are worth every penny.

Did you know that Embassy Suites offers a package that includes parking for the duration of your cruise plus one way transportation to the Manhattan cruiseport? This might be worth looking into since the port parking is $30/day. I looked into this and found that it would cost me more for the park/cruise package plus transportation back to the hotel than it would for what I already booked a room for plus parking at the port.

What time are you booked for the SOL on Friday? 10 AM By going from NJ you may have created a logistical issue for yourselves. If you drive and park at Liberty State Park, then you have to get back there to retrieve your car. That's no problem if you take the boat back there from the SOL, but it's also possible to take the SOL boat back to lower Manhattan to do stuff in NY (i.e. the WTC site). Could you give us more details about your plans for Friday? The only firm plans we have for Friday are SOL and possibly some site seeing in Long Island. I was able to trace my direct ancestory to one of first settlers on Long Island who purchased the island from the Native Americans. I wanted to check out some historical sites that relate to him if time permitted. If you pay to park in Jersey City near Exchange Place, it is possible to take the Warren St. ferry across the channel to the SOL ferry. If you continue on to NYC to explore downtown Manhattan, it is possible to take the Path train back to NJ one stop from the WTC to Exchange Place.

For Saturday the best way to get into NY is by bus - I understand the bus runs right by Embassy Suites - perhaps someone will have those details. The Rockettes, Times Square, and the Empire State are all in midtown Manhattan - you can walk between them.

We have Thursday after our cruise wide open to do some site seeing. I was thinking we could check out the WTC site then or maybe a museum. Any suggestions on how we should get there. Should we leave our car at the port and catch a taxi?? Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

If you take the bus from Seacaucus, it will bring you to the Port Authority Bus Terminal which is on 42nd and 8th Ave, the heart of Times Square. The Rockettes are at Radio City Music Hall which is 52nd and 6th. While you are there you will be at Rockefeller Center. This is where the Today show is. I don't know if you are interested in getting up very early and standing outside and waving. There is also the NBC Experience Store, which is a tourist thing, you get a tour of NBC, but if you don't want the tour, I just like looking around. They make pictures using technology, so you can have a picture of yourself doing the weather with Al Roker, things like that. Also in Rockefeller Center is The Top of The Rock, which is another observation deck in NYC. From here you can see the Empire State Building. Literally across the street (5th Ave.) is Saint Patricks Cathedral. It is something just to go in and take a peek at the enormity and beauty of it all. When you finish Rockefeller Center, walk down Fifth Avenue towards 34th Street. This is where the Empire State Building is. Also on 34th Street is Macys, which just for the size of it, I am sure your teenage daughter will love. Around the area of Macys are lots of shops appealing to teenagers, such as H&M. After Macys walk back up to 42nd Street. I would walk along 7th Avenue until I reached 42nd, and then up to 8th Ave. Lots of small shops that appeal to teenagers around here. I would stay in Times Square until it is getting dark to see the effects of the lights in the dark.

Then you have an entire whole day for the next day. If your kids liked the movie "Night At The Museum", I would take then to the Museum of Natural History, and then Central Park. But I am not sure if that would interest your kids. Another option would be to take the kids to a Broadway show. There are several shows that appeal to teenagers. I would recommend Wicked, but those tickets are hard to come by and rarely discounted, but they are worth every penny.

Thanks for all the suggestions. DD's Rockette experience begins at 10 AM on Saturday and goes until 2 PM so we will definately be checking out some of recommendations for places around Radio City Music Hall for Saturday afternoon (and possible the Today show beforehand). Any suggestions for restaurants to go to in the areas we will be at? Thanks again for all the help.

Where do you want to go on Long Island? IMO the worst possible time to do this would be a Friday afternoon in July when folks are heading out for a weekend at the beaches. This would be best done on Thursday as soon as you disembark.

Have you ever been to NYC and driven there?

Thursday I would go first to Long Island, come back into the city, pay to park the car, and do whatever until you're too tired to do any more.

On Friday I would drive and pay to park at Exchange Place, walk to the Warren St. ferry to the SOL ferry, do the SOL, take the return ferry to downtown Manhattan and see the WTC, Wall St., Trinity Church and maybe eat at the South Street Seaport. Take Path back from the WTC to Exchange Place and go back to your hotel.

Saturday you would take the bus into Manhattan.

Once you have a plan, we can provide details. Parking will not be cheap, but with 4 people is not really so bad when you add it all up. Sometimes you just have to spend money to do what you want to do in NY.

Where do you want to go on Long Island? The area around the Flatbush Reformed Dutch Church. IMO the worst possible time to do this would be a Friday afternoon in July when folks are heading out for a weekend at the beaches. This would be best done on Thursday as soon as you disembark. Sounds like I would be better off switching my plans around for Thursday and Friday afternoon.

Have you ever been to NYC and driven there? Once 20+ years ago and then it was just a brief drive through. Like I said we are really NYC rookies.

Thursday I would go first to Long Island, come back into the city, pay to park the car, and do whatever until you're too tired to do any more.

On Friday I would drive and pay to park at Exchange Place, walk to the Warren St. ferry to the SOL ferry, do the SOL, take the return ferry to downtown Manhattan and see the WTC, Wall St., Trinity Church and maybe eat at the South Street Seaport. Take Path back from the WTC to Exchange Place and go back to your hotel. Sounds like a good plan.

Saturday you would take the bus into Manhattan.

Once you have a plan, we can provide details. Parking will not be cheap, but with 4 people is not really so bad when you add it all up. Sometimes you just have to spend money to do what you want to do in NY.

Thanks again for all your help. Are there places to go to get times and locations for the ferries, Path, and the bus? Again any suggestions for restaurants or other places to visit are appreciated.

Warren Street Ferry - http://www.libertylandingferry.com/weekday-schedule.aspx It leaves at 25 and 55 minutes past the hour and costs $1.

Parking in the Exchange Place area - you will have to research this. Print out a map of the area. You may have to take whatever is available and walk.

Path - http://www.panynj.gov/path/maps-schedules.html

If you have 10 am SOL tickets, be sure to leave enough time - you will be caught in rush hour for the area. I might be tempted to go the long way around - south on the NJ turnpike and circle back up to exit 14C getting off at Christopher Columbus Blvd for a straight shot down to the Exchange Place area. Perhaps greatam can comment on the best route in the early morning for someone totally unfamiliar with the area.

Hi, the Flatbush Reformed Church is in Brooklyn, which technically is part of Long Island, but it won't interfere with Hamptons traffic. I think driving/parking in Flatbush is as bad as Manhattan, jmo. (But my driving stinks,lol) You might want to consider the LIRR or subway to get there, but I hope Brooklyn experts will check in and help you. Maybe you can figure out how to walk the Brooklyn Bridge and visit the Church.

I'd see about leaving the car parked at the port and take the subway to Brooklyn. The Q and B trains go to Church St. which is 2 or 3 blocks from the church. The subway will take longer, but will be much less stressful than figuring out the driving and then dealing with parking.

Just a bit of info & hopefully will help with your plans as I just came across this:

The Flatbush Reformed Church ?? is in a busy, commercialized "downtown" strips in the borough (county's population of around 2 million people) of Brooklyn, not off any major highway - and it's about a 30 minutes drive after coming across the Brooklyn or Manhattan Bridge from downtown NYC - straight down Flatbush Avenue, around Grand Army Plaza to the corner of Church Avenue (do a maps.google view and you will see a virtual street view of this little, old historic church.) Very, very difficult to find on-street, metered parking around this area - mass transit (subway) is the way to go. LIRR is way too far away at the Brooklyn terminal, which is several miles away and definitely NOT easy or short walking distance from the Brooklyn Bridge. :p

Traffic and all the local streets surrounding this area are heavily congested, as we have a clinic in this area and lots of times, we don't bother driving over there to try to find parking and just take our local service with the voucher - or go straight via subway from home/office.

The Trinity Church is on Church STREET in Manhattan in downtown near the World Trade Center site, however - which I trust isn't being confused with Church AVENUE in Brooklyn, across the East River. :)

Happy Cruising and spending time in NY :cool:

I knew that the church wasn't near the bridge. I was thinking she could walk the bridge, and then take the subway from the bridge to the church. Is this reasonable? According to Hopstop you catch the #2 and then switch to the Q which brings you close to the church. If she was visiting the World Trade Center site, she could do all on one day. WTC---Brooklyn Bridge----Reformed Church.

But at least I was correct about the traffic and parking.:D I know because I need to go to the DOE which is in Brooklyn and it is always a nightmare.

I was thinking she could walk the bridge, and then take the subway from the bridge .... If she was visiting the World Trade Center site, she could do all on one day. WTC---Brooklyn Bridge----Reformed Church.

But at least I was correct about the traffic and parking.:D

;) Okay, I see and that make sense (my Saturday morning coffee hasn't kick in high gear yet, LOL) - the High Street subway station is the closest to Bklyn Bridge and is busy on weekdays, but not so on weekends as it's near the federal courthouses, etc. & "discrete" ** government offices around Cadman Plaza, etc. Avoid the York Street subway station that's closer to the Manhattan Street as when we occassionally go to ** OEM for special briefings, we are advised to use alternative stops if at all possible.

From the foot of the Brooklyn Bridge, it's about 15-20 minutes walk down Adam Street to the Court Street area for the #2 subway, where more NYC subway lines inter-change and its easier to transfer, ask for directions, etc. (even the High Street station can be a bit "creepy" nowadays with automated MetroCard only entrances & unmanned at off hours, not out-of-town visitors friendly ....) :rolleyes:

For going to the "Flatbush" section of Brooklyn to see the church, it's best to use the subway - leave the "wheels" parked in the hotel/garage or whatever for sightseeing purposes. It's sometimes cheaper to take a car service vs. parking it in a garage here in the Apple, and, those traffic agents are now out in force desperately writing up summons to recover the lost city revenue that pay their jobs - after a snowy winter that's not quite over yet. :mad: And, oh, beware of weekend subway track repair works that can result in bus services (slow & crowded) being provided instead, check the NYC MTA website for updated info a week or 10 days before. :cool:

Good luck & welcome to the Big Apple ! :)

Ok, I am starting to rethink this visiting Brooklyn part of the trip. It sounds like it will be too much of a hassle. What if we went to the American Museum of Natural History after we debarked instead? What would be the best way to get there? Should we leave our car parked at the pier and take some other form of transportation there? What about restaurant suggestions? I haven't been given too many suggestions in that area yet. Thanks again for all the help and suggestions.

Ok, I am starting to rethink this visiting Brooklyn part of the trip. It sounds like it will be too much of a hassle. What if we went to the American Museum of Natural History after we debarked instead? What would be the best way to get there? Should we leave our car parked at the pier and take some other form of transportation there? What about restaurant suggestions? I haven't been given too many suggestions in that area yet. Thanks again for all the help and suggestions.

You're supposed to leave the parking lot by 1pm on disembarkation day, and I suppose (I don't know if they strictly enforce this rule) they could charge you $30 for an extra day if you don't, so you might not want to leave your car there.

http://www.amnh.org/ Here is the webpage for the museum. If you are going to have to pay at the pier the extra $30 you might as well drive the short distance to the museum and park in the facility there. It is a safe area. Then when you are through, you can go directly to your hotel in New Jersey. The museum is across the street from Central Park, so you can go there to have a hot dog or other snack from a vendor. There also is a decent cafeteria in the museum. Where John Lennon lived, The Dakota, and Strawberry Fields in Central Park dedicated to his memory is right there also.

http://www.amnh.org/ Here is the webpage for the museum. If you are going to have to pay at the pier the extra $30 you might as well drive the short distance to the museum and park in the facility there. It is a safe area. Then when you are through, you can go directly to your hotel in New Jersey. The museum is across the street from Central Park, so you can go there to have a hot dog or other snack from a vendor. There also is a decent cafeteria in the museum. Where John Lennon lived, The Dakota, and Strawberry Fields in Central Park dedicated to his memory is right there also.

Thanks. That looks like a good plan.

Archived