Internet Access

macpherk

I am trying to understand what is available in terms of accessing the internet on the Allure, and the cost associated of doing so. I was on the NCL Epic in September(my first cruise) and did not even try to send messages, the cost was so high!

So...does bringing my laptop make sense(except for watching videos, etc, that I bring with me), and if not, what is the internet costs/Access.

Thanks for your help!!!

Pricing is available on the website, FAQ's. There is WiFi access in your cabin and we took our Netbook, although it did not fit in the safe.

Wireless Internet Access (Wi-Fi)

There will be six designated *"Hot Spots" which vary from ship to ship.

To use our WI-FI access, you'll need:

A laptop

Windows operating system

802.11b Wireless networking capability

The cost for Wi-Fi access through your own laptop is:

Base rate is $.65 per minute or choose from one of our prepaid packages:

$35 for 60 minutes

$55 for 100 minutes

$75 for 150 minutes

$100 for 250 minutes

$150 for 500 minutes

All prices are subject to change without notice.

The Internet Cafe/Workstation

These stations provide access to e-mail and the Internet, plus direct connections to favorite websites for stock, sports and entertainment updates. You can also send virtual postcards while at sea, and in ports-of-call worldwide. If you don't have an e-mail account, you can also establish one onboard.

The cost is $.65 per minute or you can choose a prepaid package:

$35 for 60 minutes

$55 for 100 minutes

$75 for 150 minutes

$100 for 250 minutes

$150 for 500 minutes

Available onboard all ships.

Prices are subject to change without notice

We brought net books or laptops to download photos every day or so. My son used his laptop to access the internet from the cabin, and we used the internet cafe. The service is very slow - Think dial-up! We did note that on the Allure, there was an RCCL rep in the internet café several hours during the day to trouble shoot. He did help us get a small credit for a “non connection” that was being charged to our account.

Repeat passengers who are Crown and Anchor Society members will receive coupons for free minutes based on their membership status. My husband and I each had 45 minutes, and our son had 30 minutes for free. You must submit the coupon, then log on to get the free minutes

There are usually a lot of comments regarding needing to access the internet or “do work” while on “vacation”. We travel frequently and often our colleagues or clients do not know we are out the country (and we like it that way). The internet allows us the freedom to travel and still be in touch with the business.

I had been wondering too, if it would be worth it to bring my laptop, and the PP who mentioned taking it to load photos frequently just made up my mind for me. You could clear your camera every day by putting the pics on the computer and save having to bring extra memory cards. (OTOH, extra memory cards are tinier and lighter.) Oh well. We'll see!

I don't think I will bring my laptop this trip...looks too expensive and we have too much to do on the ship!

Up to you. We took ours into port and walked around trying to find free WiFi access. A lot of the crew do this as well. Not a biggie, but it's nice if you need to keep in touch with folks at home.

Archived