Cruise Critic Community
saltmom1

Get me excited about my cruise to Bermuda

I booked my cruise last summer. This is a 25th anniversary cruise for DH and myself. I was really excited about it when I booked it, but now ~ not so much. I am actually dreading it coming.

It is not that unusual for this to happen right before the cruise with the stress of getting ready, but not 3 months out. I don't care if I go or not. (BTW, I am not depressed, just not interested in the cruise.)

The reason I picked Bermuda was that was where we honeymooned 25 years ago. Now I have another cruise to the Southern Caribbean that I would much rather go on next winter. LOVE those winter cruises being from New England! The cruise is about the same price but estimating airfare :eek: would almost double the price of the cruise. This will be the last trip for us for a while as I am in school, so only on 1 income.

DH still has his heart set on going to Bermuda. I have tried discussing with him the possibility of not going, but he won't even talk about it.

So PLEASE give me some great reasons for cruising to Bermuda.

Don't tell me I will love it once I am there. It is not that kind of thing.

Not sure what I can say that can get you excited but we are actually celebrating our anniversary on the Dawn this summer in Bermuda too...

Since you have already been there you know how beautiful it is and it has definitely changed so that is something to look forward to...

Not sure what type of work you are in but everyone can use a little R&R every so often so that is somethign to look forward to : )

Is it the cruise part that is not thrilling you or once you get there?

It is once I got there, but I have 2 excursions planned for the first day that I AM excited about.

I gave up my very anticipated Helmet Diving because if scheduling conflicts :mad::mad::mad:.

Boston is my home port. NO FLYING :D

How about a bad day cruising is better than a good day working!;) Just the two of you, kind of romantic after 25 years.;)

If you can't get yourself excited, I doubt there is anything we can say that will get you there. Heck I am excited about a cruise to _________ (fill in the blank).

Kirk

Get a 3 day transportation pass which will give you access to ferry or bus So easy to get around. Go to Swizzle Inn for a famous rum swizzle Stop in St George ( dont think ship docks there anymore) Great old cemetary to mosey about and recognize all the historical names. Elbow Beach is never crowded and if you walk a bit youll have the whole place to yourself. Shops and pubs abound.

Southern Carribean is great but with air fares and all the hassles its nice to leave from close to home

Helmet diving is my #1 pick so anything that conflicts with that would be "bye bye". I'm trying to talk my dh into Bermuda for our 25th anniversary this September (alas, not NCL as the CCL Miracle is much cheaper). Our very first cruise was on the Dawn so that ship holds a very special place in my heart.

How about this.... instead of thinking about the southern caribbean, think about how you get to go on vacation months earlier than you would if you waited til winter... Also, visit the Bermuda ports of call board and look at pictures and other people's reviews. I think Bermuda looks awesome! How about a vow renewal, either on the ship or in Bermuda since you honeymooned there??

Edited by cruisin07family

Congratulations on 25 years of marriage. We are celebrating our 25 as well and booked the gem to Bermuda for July. We are taking the 4 children with us and we all cant wait. Bermuda is beautiful and has so many different things to do. Your state of mind can make or break a vacation. Keep an open mind and expect to have fun and you will.

Two years ago we went to Bermuda and hurricane bill or bob hit. Water had rip tides and we couldnt swim in it, we left Bermuda a day early - extra day on ship was a good trade lol, all our excursions were cancelled, Harbor Nights in Hamilton was cancelled. We got drenched numerous times because of thunderstorm bands before the hurricane. We had one good day in St George! All things considered it was the best vacation we had. We have lots of funny stories. Now we have the chance to go back and see and do all that we missed the first time.

Relax and enjoy being together - Happy 25 Anniversary!!!

It doesn't sound as if this cruise is really what you want. We will be celebrating 35 years of marriage on our cruise to Bermuda in May, and we are really looking forward to all of it.Ifyou really want to go away next winter instead, changing your mind now isn't a crime. You can still cancel out on this cruise for the next couple of weeks before final payment, so you have a little time to think it through. A cruise costs too much money to just go half-heartedly. After the winter we have had here in Massachusetts, no wonder a cruise next winter sounds so good to you. Good luck and whatever you decide will be the right decision.

I booked my cruise last summer. This is a 25th anniversary cruise for DH and myself. I was really excited about it when I booked it, but now ~ not so much. I am actually dreading it coming.

It is not that unusual for this to happen right before the cruise with the stress of getting ready, but not 3 months out. I don't care if I go or not. (BTW, I am not depressed, just not interested in the cruise.)

The reason I picked Bermuda was that was where we honeymooned 25 years ago. Now I have another cruise to the Southern Caribbean that I would much rather go on next winter. LOVE those winter cruises being from New England! The cruise is about the same price but estimating airfare :eek: would almost double the price of the cruise. This will be the last trip for us for a while as I am in school, so only on 1 income.

DH still has his heart set on going to Bermuda. I have tried discussing with him the possibility of not going, but he won't even talk about it.

My problem is kind of the opposite of yours. Every year for the last 5 years dh and I have cruised to Bermuda. This year is also our 25th anniversary. This year with things breaking and needing to be replaced, etc..we still haven't booked. Dh says we have to wait and see how things shake out...I don't know about you, but when I was a kid..maybe..usually meant NO. HAHA:eek: I'm still hopeful..because I remember that feeling when I wake up the 1st morning and go out on the balcony...and there is my beautiful BERMUDA.:D Even after all these times we find new places to go and new things to do and some of our favorite places we've been to 5 times that we go to again. I hope this helps a little...oh crap..it made me miss Bermuda even more.

Our Bermuda cruise last year spoiled us. It's the best of both land and sea vacations.

I'm taking a Bahamas cruise in September, and I'm DREADING the short days in port, having to rush around before hopping on the boat.

With Bermuda, once you get there and clear customs, the island is yours to come and go as you please the whole time you're there! If you want to head back to the ship mid-day and get lunch, you can. If you want to stay out late at Harbor Nights, you can!

Reasons to look forward to your cruise to Bermuda. You will be at a beautiful island with beautiful pink sand beaches. You will meet the most friendly, courteous people that you will most likely ever meet. You will not be hassled or annoyed by street vendors. You will have the chance to enjoy their island cuisine. You can sample the island history and visit a UNESCO World Heritage Site (St George).

SBtS

I'm the same way you are - shortly before our vacations, I just don't want to go. It sounds like what you really want is a Southern Caribbean trip, so it would be hard to get you excited. LOL - I feel like that when I cruise the Caribbean! I like the cruising but just am not fond of the ports! We're doing our first NCL cruise to Bermuda this year with the entire family. Having cruised other lines to the Caribbean, I'm really looking forward to 3 days in the same place, and spending time in a country I can safely wander around in. The pictures I've seen of the beaches and church buildings (I love churches!) have me hoping my DD will be taking lots of pictures. I certainly will, but hers are SO much better! Then, spend the evening on the balcony...and all without flying! Nice!

Helmet diving is my #1 pick so anything that conflicts with that would be "bye bye". I'm trying to talk my dh into Bermuda for our 25th anniversary this September (alas, not NCL as the CCL Miracle is much cheaper). Our very first cruise was on the Dawn so that ship holds a very special place in my heart.

How about this.... instead of thinking about the southern caribbean, think about how you get to go on vacation months earlier than you would if you waited til winter... Also, visit the Bermuda ports of call board and look at pictures and other people's reviews. I think Bermuda looks awesome! How about a vow renewal, either on the ship or in Bermuda since you honeymooned there??

I thought about a vow renewal but since we are going alone, as in no other family. I had also talked to DH about it and he didn't sound too excited. I also think DD is going to do SOMETHING. Our actual anniversary is in Aug but that Bermuda heat in Aug is brutal, plus it;s hurricane season so we decided to go early.

My husband will not do the helmet dive with me and he really shouldn't based on what the site warns of. I really shouldn't ether. But I REALLY wanted to do it.

Great ideas, cruising07family.

I have been to the Bermuda board and thought about posting this thread over there but thought it would get more exposure on this board

My problem is kind of the opposite of yours. Every year for the last 5 years dh and I have cruised to Bermuda. This year is also our 25th anniversary. This year with things breaking and needing to be replaced, etc..we still haven't booked. Dh says we have to wait and see how things shake out...I don't know about you, but when I was a kid..maybe..usually meant NO. HAHA:eek: I'm still hopeful..because I remember that feeling when I wake up the 1st morning and go out on the balcony...and there is my beautiful BERMUDA.:D Even after all these times we find new places to go and new things to do and some of our favorite places we've been to 5 times that we go to again. I hope this helps a little...oh crap..it made me miss Bermuda even more.

What are some of those places, jdarach ? I don't have anything planned after the first day- the carriage ride and the sunset catamaran rum swizzle cruise.

Congratulations on 25 years of marriage. We are celebrating our 25 as well and booked the gem to Bermuda for July. We are taking the 4 children with us and we all cant wait. Bermuda is beautiful and has so many different things to do. Your state of mind can make or break a vacation. Keep an open mind and expect to have fun and you will.

Two years ago we went to Bermuda and hurricane bill or bob hit. Water had rip tides and we couldnt swim in it, we left Bermuda a day early - extra day on ship was a good trade lol, all our excursions were cancelled, Harbor Nights in Hamilton was cancelled. We got drenched numerous times because of thunderstorm bands before the hurricane. We had one good day in St George! All things considered it was the best vacation we had. We have lots of funny stories. Now we have the chance to go back and see and do all that we missed the first time.

Relax and enjoy being together - Happy 25 Anniversary!!!

Thank you geneology and congrats to you on your 25th anniversary !

You must have some exciting and fun stories to tell about your adventure with the hurricane !

My DH still claims he does not like to cruise and that he only goes because I love to cruise...yeah right! Now that being said, part of that is true. He would never plan a cruise himself (although once he is on the ship I have trouble keeping track of him:D) so I appreciate the fact that he really is doing it for me. Just tell yourself you are doing it for your husband and I bet once you are on the ship you will find it's not so bad after all. Maybe when you are done with school you can reward yourself with a cruise to where you want to go instead of where he wants to go! Join your roll call and go to the Meet and Greet...just plan on having fun and try not to think about anything else!

Have a great cruise and Happy Anniversary! We celebrate our 42nd anniversary in May:)!

I totally understand your feelings.

I live in Maine. Like you, I honeymooned in Bermuda and my DH and I have a cruise booked for 9/2012 to go to Bermuda and celebrate our 30th anniversary.

We usually cruise in the fall and in the late winter/early spring to escape the cold. Leaving Maine when it's gorgeous to go anyplace doesn't make much sense...even if it IS to Bermuda BUT, I know I am going to have a blast anyway.

To make the cruise extra special and something to really look forward to, we booked a suite. Since we have never had a suite before, it is something I am really excited about.

If you don't have a suite booked, if you upgrade yourself, THAT may help get you a little more excited about the cruise. :D

My DH still claims he does not like to cruise and that he only goes because I love to cruise...yeah right! Now that being said, part of that is true. He would never plan a cruise himself (although once he is on the ship I have trouble keeping track of him:D) so I appreciate the fact that he really is doing it for me. Just tell yourself you are doing it for your husband and I bet once you are on the ship you will find it's not so bad after all. Maybe when you are done with school you can reward yourself with a cruise to where you want to go instead of where he wants to go! Join your roll call and go to the Meet and Greet...just plan on having fun and try not to think about anything else!

Have a great cruise and Happy Anniversary! We celebrate our 42nd anniversary in May:)!

Congratulations on 42 years of marriage ! He loves to cruise. That's MY fault. I did a cruise with my daughter, when she graduated from high school ( he was unable to go) Six months later a very unplanned cruise sort of just happened and he was hooked ! I am on the Roll Call and there are a lot of locals on this cruise.

I keep telling him that my Southern Caribbean cruise will be my graduation present. My daughter is graduating the same year, but this Christmas she got her graduation gift early. Her car broke down and she needed a new one. She travels 500 miles between school and home and she needed something reliable so my inlaws and us bought her a 2010 car. I think of that as her graduation gift. She will likely graduate either summa cum laude or magna cum laude and she deserves SOMETHING ( she is an only child and only grandchild), so maybe it can be BOTH of our graduation gifts.

We'll have to see how the finances work out.

I totally understand your feelings.

I live in Maine. Like you, I honeymooned in Bermuda and my DH and I have a cruise booked for 9/2012 to go to Bermuda and celebrate our 30th anniversary.

We usually cruise in the fall and in the late winter/early spring to escape the cold. Leaving Maine when it's gorgeous to go anyplace doesn't make much sense...even if it IS to Bermuda BUT, I know I am going to have a blast anyway.

To make the cruise extra special and something to really look forward to, we booked a suite. Since we have never had a suite before, it is something I am really excited about.

If you don't have a suite booked, if you upgrade yourself, THAT may help get you a little more excited about the cruise. :D

I think that is a big part of it,halos. The Cape is nice in June. We usually cruise in Jan.

Unfortunately, our budget only allows for an oceanview and the cruise is sold out, being the second cruise out of drydock for the Dawn. We sailed the Dawn Jan 2010 to the Southern Caribbean and LOVED it. It's a beautiful ship and will even be better after drydock !

I think that is a big part of it,halos. The Cape is nice in June. We usually cruise in Jan.

Unfortunately, our budget only allows for an oceanview and the cruise is sold out, being the second cruise out of drydock for the Dawn. We sailed the Dawn Jan 2010 to the Southern Caribbean and LOVED it. It's a beautiful ship and will even be better after drydock !

I have had two cruises on that ship. Out of all my cruises, she is absolutely my favorite ship. I had my best two cruises on her. :D We just did the 9 day S Caribbean at the end of Jan and I still have extreme PCD. I hated getting off that ship.

What are some of those places, jdarach ? I don't have anything planned after the first day- the carriage ride and the sunset catamaran rum swizzle cruise.

I think one of my favorite things so far was the carriage ride we did in St. George's last year. You get off the ferry and look to the left and there are carriages right there...I will ask dh the name of the awesome guy who took us. We went to places in Bermuda we had never gone to..30 minutes longer than we paid for...he stopped along the way and told us facts about things that grow there..it was like $10 a person...if you have 6 people. It was great..We also went to the Bermuda Underwater Exploration Institute in Hamilton...loved it. We take the ferry everywhere, because you get the most beautiful view of the island..I go shopping in Hamilton while dh stays at the dockyard and does the museum thing..I love the quaint shops in St. George's, too. We've also done the caves..ok..the zoo and aquarium are one price..really enjoyed it...We've swam at just about every beach..breathtaking..we usually have 1 lunch on the island..we've been to 2 restaurants that were great 1 was the Salt Rock Grill and the other was at the dockyard near the Clocktower Mall...will have to ask dh the name...These are only the things I'm thinking about off the top of my head..I have more...haha:eek: