Goodby MERCURY

hancock

I appears that the Mercury is leaving Baltimore at this hour. She is showing a speed of .4knots. She has been moored at Locust Point for the last few days.

(Update)Looks like I may have posted too soon. Now she is standing still. Know Mercury will be leaving soon.

Farewell dear friend. Safe sailing to all who will sail with you in the future. We will miss you!

I appears that the Mercury is leaving Baltimore at this hour. She is showing a speed of .4knots. She has been moored at Locust Point for the last few days.

(Update)Looks like I may have posted too soon. Now she is standing still. Know Mercury will be leaving soon.

Farewell dear friend. Safe sailing to all who will sail with you in the future. We will miss you!

Any idea where her new home will be?

She is going to Germany. The same com, pany that bought Galaxy is

getting Mercury too. TIU (that is the name of the company).

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1368807&highlight=mercury

I thought the German company was TUI.(?). Her new name will be "Mein Schiff". We, too, mourn the loss of Mercury from Celebrity's fleet. We sailed her in '09 & '10 & found her to be a beautiful, gracious, and perfectly-sized ship. The crew was superb. Not sure what ship will be our next choice. Wish we could have taken the last cruise (Feb. 14), so we could have raised a glass to her with fellow passengers.

Annie:)

I thought the German company was TUI.(?). Her new name will be "Mein Schiff". We' date=' too, mourn the loss of Mercury from Celebrity's fleet. We sailed her in '09 & '10 & found her to be a beautiful, gracious, and perfectly-sized ship. The crew was superb. Not sure what ship will be our next choice. Wish we could have taken the last cruise (Feb. 14), so we could have raised a glass to her with fellow passengers.

Annie:)[/quote']

She will be "Mein Schiff II" TUI already has "Mein Schiff I" or is it just "Mein Schiff"

Anyone planing to cruise on the Mein Schiff II?

If you know how to "scan the sea", you can view her future voyages in English, with all ports of call. Hint, the next time anyone will see her in Carb. is next fall.

You can also view the deck plans, was an eye opener for me. Looks more like the Century to me.

Misspelled the title, German isn't my second language, nor my third,....... infinity. LOL

If you know how to "scan the sea", you can view her future voyages in English, with all ports of call. Hint, the next time anyone will see her in Carb. is next fall.

You can also view the deck plans, was an eye opener for me. Looks more like the Century to me.

Misspelled the title, German isn't my second language, nor my third,....... infinity. LOL

I have fond memories of sailing the Galaxy in a SkySuite doing a 12-night LAX-VAN Alaska cruise. I went on the TUI website and did a virtual tour of her now as Mein Schiff and for the most part she is unrecognizable except for the interior structural attributes that they really couldn't change. Her interior decor could best be called 'modern ultra chic' and not what I remember her by. Not to say that it is bad, on the contrary, for the most part she is stunning and quite nice. But not Galaxy either. When Celebrity MERCURY re-emerges as Mein Schiff 2 her external appearance will vaguely be the same but thats where it ends. Her interior decor will be completely altered; what made her what she was as the ship we knew and loved. I also saw some rates for Mein Sciff 2 for this Fall, not too bad, but not enough to warrant me flying to Santo Domingo and making me have conflicting memories of my last (and near perfect) cruise on her this past December as Celebrity MERCURY. I personally will have no interest in cruising her again as the next TUI fleet-mate, but I will be curious enough to go back on their website in May to see what they did to her. I am sure it will be quite a shock. :eek:

She is going to Germany. The same company that bought Galaxy is getting Mercury too...
TUI Cruises is a joint venture of RCCL (Royal Caribbean Cruises Limited) and TUI (Touristik Union International) AG. From discussions I had with several officers on Mercury's last cruise the Marine personnel [including security] of Mein Schiff 1 & 2 are RCCL employees, while the German speaking Hotel side is operated by TUI. I think that the ships are still owned by RCCL. I don't know how the costs and revenue are split between the joint venture partners.

Thom

TUI Cruises is a joint venture of RCCL (Royal Caribbean Cruises Limited) and TUI (Touristik Union International) AG. From discussions I had with several officers on Mercury's last cruise the Marine personnel [including security] of Mein Schiff 1 & 2 are RCCL employees, while the German speaking Hotel side is operated by TUI. I think that the ships are still owned by RCCL. I don't know how the costs and revenue are split between the joint venture partners.

Thom

Yes, I spoke wth a security officer on Merc who said that he had just been on Mein Schiff 1. They needed him on Merc so flew him from Europe (or wherever) to meet Merc.

Let's put it this way -- i don't think anyone is eating lobster tails or drinking martinis or dancing in the disco...

George +

Who IS on her right now besides capt, etc? Are there a bunch of workers still tearing her apart as they go over there? Did they retain some of the dining crew so these people could be fed/served???

You know, as much as I will miss cruising on her, I am a bit happy I will not see her sitting there anymore on my way to work. Got a bit depressing, knowing she was being gutted to be "schiff-ified"

I prefer to remember her as I saw her as she left Baltimore for her final cruise....

mercury110214t.jpg

(click the thumbnail for larger image)

The Century class ships had real style and soul... and the crew on both Galaxy and Mercury were always outstanding.

Archived