Random thoughts from Marina's 3rd voyage

Paulchili

MARINA

It is day 4 and we are sailing toward Cabo from San Diego. The first few days were busy – just trying to get settled in as well as exploring and getting to know Marina.

She is certainly easy on the eye and very stylish. I particularly like the layout and design of all of the dining venues. So far we had a dinner at Polo (up to the usual standards) and will dine in Red Ginger tonight.

The breakfasts at the Terrace Café have been very good with a larger variety of options than were available on the R ships (at least it seems that way). While everything is good, the pastries are exceptional. The service for the one breakfast we had in the MDR was “bumpy”, to say the least. Hopefully it was an exception.

Last night’s production was Con Molto featuring some great vocalists. In fact, in my amateur opinion, they are as good as or better than any I have seen on any other ship – large or small.

Not everything is perfect, however. There are things that IMO could be improved.

The coffees in Baristas are very good but I don’t care for the fact that they are served in small paper cups. Not only do I find it somewhat “tacky” but also impractical as the coffee is too hot to touch through the thin paper cups. I wonder if we’ll see a repeat of the McDonalds 3 million $ suit (LOL). Why not use regular china?

Our verandah cabin is very stylish with lots of dark wood paneling and furniture; so is the bathroom with ample display of marble and a glass shower. All this is in keeping with the rest of the ship. However, disappointingly, neither the cabin nor the bathroom look or feel larger (this was the one thing I was looking forward to on the Marina). In fact, in terms of usable storage space, I find this cabin “smaller” than the R ships. This is largely due to the very strange drawers in the desk that are only marginally useful for storage of clothing as well as the ridiculous, shallow triangular shelves on the side of the desk. As a result of all this we deposited the life preservers permanently into the tub, thus freeing up some precious shelf space.

There is a cluster of 2 electrical outlets and a light switch on the right side of the desk. Unfortunately the 2 electrical plugs are too close to each other to be used simultaneously (especially if you have larger plugs, like those for iPhone/iPad/battery chargers, etc). If the outlets were instead separated by the light switch in the middle (rather than being on the end) then both plugs could be used simultaneously. This, I am sure, can easily be changed on the Riviera (and probably even on the Marina during its first dry dock).

The strategy for using the shower has been aptly described by Don and others. While the glass door is a major improvement over the shower curtain, there is no doubt that this shower is smaller; and while the shower is certainly usable (the rain shower head is particularly nice), it would be even nicer if the shower could be enjoyed in a more conventional manner without invoking “special tricks” and acrobatics. In the end, turning the water on and off for soaping, will likely result in water conservation which is a good thing (and might have been Oceania’s intent in the first place).

Do I like the Marina better than the R ships? I think it is too early to pass that judgment at this point but my first impression is that I prefer the R ships. However, I reserve the right to change my mind laterJ.

More observations to follow as my time (and internet access) will allow.

PS Internet is painfully slooooow. The speed is a little better after 11 PM when most people are in bed.

Thanks for your observations.

It is really a shame they have not been able to improve the Internet and still charge those high rates.

It too will be most interesting to see how many regulars on Oceania will go back to the smaller ships once having tried the Marina.:)

Paul,

Glad to see you posting from onboard. You don't mince words, and your thoughts will be a welcome addition to the discussion among those of us who have been aboard so far. Enjoy the cruise!:) Kay

Agree with the electrical outlet and desk drawers observation. I thought the room size was comfortable and that is from someone who was a PH passenger on the R ships. We found the closet to be poorly placed and hard to access the far end.

The pastries are very good, many people commented on that on our cruise. Though I have to say the cookies are below average just as they were on the R ships. There was only one cookie on our cruise that I would classify as good. I think the reason the cookies are tasteless is they don't use butter in the recipe. Must be using all the butter in the pastries...

The shower is tight and I am small so it must be a real challenge to taller/larger people. I did not go to Barista's but I can say the coffee elsewhere on the ship was not very good, especially at the beginning of the cruise. I also never saw half and half used anywhere. Someone said it came if you ordered room service coffee but I like to travel for my morning coffee. Not big problems, mind you...just an observation.

PAUL,

About the life jackets, can you put them on the closet floor, then they would be out of the way?

JIM

We thought of that but that space is occupied by shoes and laundry bag.

The above are just observations. They do not spoil our cruise.

Maybe some of these observations will result in future changes/improvements - that is the purpose of these comments.

We are in Cabo - beautiful sunny day in the high 70's - using a wi-fi in a cafe.

RG last night was very good - different from most Asian fusion restaurants I've eaten in. Entertainment so far has been excellent.

Agree with the electrical outlet and desk drawers observation. I thought the room size was comfortable and that is from someone who was a PH passenger on the R ships. We found the closet to be poorly placed and hard to access the far end.

an observation.

The room size is comfortable enough, just not larger than the R ships - that is what I was hoping for. Ditto for bathrooms.

I'm surprised to see these comments because I sure thought from the descriptions and earlier comments that the rooms WERE larger.

Well, if you are in an owner's suite on Marina they are ... but not many of us are willing to foot THAT bill.

thanks for keeping us in the loop! Any help with changing the venue for the Trivia yet??? :confused: LuAnn

unfortunately no - it is a major disappointment as we really enjoy trivia and this arrangement is really awkward.

despite that we continue to have a good time:)

I'm surprised to see these comments because I sure thought from the descriptions and earlier comments that the rooms WERE larger.

Well, if you are in an owner's suite on Marina they are ... but not many of us are willing to foot THAT bill.

The actual sq. footage may be larger but they don't feel any larger (esp. the bathroom). We can manage in them just fine (as we did on R ships) but was hoping fo a "palpable" increase in size of both.

Paul,

Is the sq, footage difference mainly in the bathroom? Otherwise where are the extra 68 Sq. ft?

The extra square footage IS almost all in the bathrooms, but remember that slightly more than 18 sq ft of that is is devoted to the bathtub.

All I can say is that if I have the same reaction, we'll be concentrating on Regatta and Nautica!

Although I *am* lusting to try out the new restaurants ... but I don't see why the most popular dishes in Jacques, etc., couldn't be transferred over to the GDR on the "R" ships. If Marina had the 72 hour braised short ribs from the La Reserve menu served on one occasion in Marina's GDR, I don't see why all of the ships couldn't serve them. Not everything, of course.

MQ &TKS,

Thank you for your good wishes – I am sure we’ll have a wonderful cruise..

• Trivia – the good news is that trivia is a lot of fun. It is because it is conducted by the inimitable Leslie Jon with the able assistance from Nolan (assistant CD) and Natalie (social hostess). The three of them compliment each other and play off of each other very well, making it a spontaneously fun event.
  • The tendering in Cabo today was smooth and efficient without any long waits on either end.
  • To be fair to the Internet service, I have had several fairly fast connections as well. I guess it depends on how many people are logged on at once (or even the position of the ship?). This is hard to estimate as the number of people in the internet center is a poor indication of how many people are actually logged on (with all the laptops, wi-fi’s, etc). If you guess right, it can be pretty good.
  • Another great show last night. I think that the entertainment is my favorite Marina experience so far (although Jacque’s is coming up soon J).

We have reconnected with some old friends from prior cruises as well as made a few new ones. At the same time, I see fewer than usual number of familiar faces, both among the passengers and staff (although there are some staff we do recognize). This is in spite of (or maybe because of) the larger number of passengers. On larger ships we often see people toward the end of the cruise that we never encountered during the cruise – just the nature of the beast.

For some reason I have a feeling that the composition of cruisers on this particular cruise is slightly different from our prior O cruises. Obviously, I have no hard facts to back this up or any proof of this – it’s just a feeling. The one thing that stands out to me is the relatively larger number of gentlemen wearing jackets (with or without ties) for dinner in all venues; the ladies are even dressier. It seems a bit more formal than the country club casual dress code I am accustomed to on Oceania. Have no problem with this at all – we dress the way we usually dress on Oceania.

PV today.

unfortunately no - it is a major disappointment as we really enjoy trivia and this arrangement is really awkward.

despite that we continue to have a good time:)

Now I am starting to worry...

Although I'm not so sure we'll get to play much trivia as we're in port all but one day on our itinerary...

But, I somehow missed it earlier...Where DO they hold the trivia?

Paul, thank you so much for posting the notes...We're really looking forward to our Marina cruise ...As you know, for us, at least on this cruise, the cabin size/layout issues aren't important (though they will be on future cruises as we'll, no doubt, be returning to standard balcony cabins), but the public areas/services/amenities are...

It sounds as though the entertainment is improved...I heard one show, 9:30 each night, correct? How are the sight lines in the showroom?

We're really looking forward to Red Ginger...

How was Jacques? (EDIT: Just read you're last post and I guess you haven't been to Jacques yet...let us know after, though) I've read some mixed reviews, but we're optomistic...I don't think I've ever had a bad meal on Oceania...

Trivia is in the Marina Lounge, it has just grown too popular to be held in Martini's.

074307.jpg

The sightlines in the showroom are very very good, but what I liked the best about it is that it "feels" like an intimate space despite its' size.

There is always a show at 9:30, but a second (different) show is sometimes scheduled for 6 or 6:30.

Red Ginger is beyond fabulous, it really exceeded our expectations by a wide margin. The Lobster Pad Thai is absolute HEAVEN. I think it might be the best Asian Lobster dish that I have ever tasted.

Jim/Stan.

We have enjoyed following your posts and thank you for the Oceania suite photos. Our turn soon. Do I remember properly you were headed to Privee one night. If so have you posted on it. Sorry if it's me missing it. Thank you

John

Paulchili...I love hearing that people are tending to dress up a bit more on the new ship..some peoples interpretation of "country club casual"..were really starting to become too casual...imho..

Paulchili...I love hearing that people are tending to dress up a bit more on the new ship..some peoples interpretation of "country club casual"..were really starting to become too casual...imho..

Claudia,

There's the problem...We all have a different opinion on what is "too casual"...

Personally, one of the things I like about Oceania is NOT having to "dress up"...I don't want to schlepp a coat and tie in my suitcase...I don't want to pack "dress shirts"...

I am not going to show up in the dining room in shorts or swim attire or T-Shirts...I don't even wear "Golf Shirts" to dinner...MY interpretation of "Casual" or even "Country Club Casual" includes a nice pair of dockers, a sports shirt--typically a stripe, plaid or pattern, maybe a very nice Hawaiian shirt and my brown suede Merrell slip-ons...It's dignified and proper...but exxtremely comfortable and easy to pack...

I do not want to be expected by anyone to come to dinner any more formal than that...Heck, I don't wear anything more formal than that to the office nowadays...

Now, in December, when I'm on Celebrity, I know I have three nights that I have to put on that danged tuxedo...I do it because it IS called for by that cruise line...but I really don't enjoy it...and I do not think it is necessary...

...and my understanding has always been that Oceania agrees with that sentiment...and that is why they DO NOT have the strict dress code and formal nights...

Claudia,

There's the problem...We all have a different opinion on what is "too casual"...

Personally, one of the things I like about Oceania is NOT having to "dress up"...I don't want to schlepp a coat and tie in my suitcase...I don't want to pack "dress shirts"...

I am not going to show up in the dining room in shorts or swim attire or T-Shirts...I don't even wear "Golf Shirts" to dinner...MY interpretation of "Casual" or even "Country Club Casual" includes a nice pair of dockers, a sports shirt--typically a stripe, plaid or pattern, maybe a very nice Hawaiian shirt and my brown suede Merrell slip-ons...It's dignified and proper...but exxtremely comfortable and easy to pack...

I do not want to be expected by anyone to come to dinner any more formal than that...Heck, I don't wear anything more formal than that to the office nowadays...

Now, in December, when I'm on Celebrity, I know I have three nights that I have to put on that danged tuxedo...I do it because it IS called for by that cruise line...but I really don't enjoy it...and I do not think it is necessary...

...and my understanding has always been that Oceania agrees with that sentiment...and that is why they DO NOT have the strict dress code and formal nights...

Bruin Steve,

I competely agree with you (and so does my husband)! :D

Now I am starting to worry...

Although I'm not so sure we'll get to play much trivia as we're in port all but one day on our itinerary...

But, I somehow missed it earlier...Where DO they hold the trivia?

Paul, thank you so much for posting the notes...We're really looking forward to our Marina cruise ...As you know, for us, at least on this cruise, the cabin size/layout issues aren't important (though they will be on future cruises as we'll, no doubt, be returning to standard balcony cabins), but the public areas/services/amenities are...

It sounds as though the entertainment is improved...I heard one show, 9:30 each night, correct? How are the sight lines in the showroom?

We're really looking forward to Red Ginger...

How was Jacques? (EDIT: Just read you're last post and I guess you haven't been to Jacques yet...let us know after, though) I've read some mixed reviews, but we're optomistic...I don't think I've ever had a bad meal on Oceania...

Jacques should be especially good on our Aug 10th cruise since Jacque will be aboard.:)

Archived