Enough of Explorer

I have to agree with all points made, we are quite fortunate in the UK as we can do a short flight and get to so many different cruises, also sail from the UK to the Baltics. We all love New York though ,so this time we thought we would get the best of both worlds and cruise then stay for 4 nights in the city, cant wait.

Anybody have an idea how long it,s been there?
I was on the Explorer in May 2006 for a 5-day Bermuda cruise. I think we were one of the the first Bayonne sailings??? That was WAY back when the parked cars at the port were being damaged by overspray. Mine being one of them.

Been on the Explorer numerous times since. We like it but are ready for a newer ship.

This concept that a ship that is ten years old is aged, decripit and is like a pig with lipstick on it just doesn't fly. It shows absolutely no perspective on the development of the cruising industry.

In the past some of RCCL best ships were operating when they were well over 20 years old because the company took such good care of them. They had grace and style with features you would not see in todays ships such as full teak promenade decks. Even now some of the original RCCL ships launched in the late 1960's still sail for different owners.

( Hopefully DW is not reading this and thinking of getting rid of me as we have been sailing together for 30+ years and in my view I am still seaworthy ).

I hope that RCI continues its tradition of operating ships which its customers have become comfortable with. However, I fear that the customers

have been spoiled by the "newer is necesarrily better' mentality.

The flip side of having new ships is that they become more expensive for customers because their fares must rise to compensate for the cost of building them. The CD on the Serenade mentioned that it took about 5-6 years of sailing before the ship recovered the cost of building it. How long will it

take for Oasis or Allure to recover its cost is anyone's guess.

At least for the older ships part of their cost has been amortized and and soon become pure cash cows for the cruise line.

As far as our friend from Boston who hopes for a ship to be home ported there, IMHO the New England area is beyond what people from the heavily populated Mid-Atlantic states will drive to.

This will be our 5th sailing on EOS. We have done 2 sailing on her in one year. Last year we sailed on the acutal date of her 10th birthday. Having gone through dry dock and with some added new things, unless we are destined to have another ship stationed out of Bayonne, we will be more than happy to sail on the EOS again. As long as the ship continues to be maintained in good shape and keeps getting some added tweaks, 10 years old is not considered old for a ship.

Many of the ships that were transferred out of US home ports to Europe, Asia and elsewhere (not saying all of them) were older than 10 years. The lines did not feel it was worth the investment to comply with the new stricter safety requirements.

What seems to be at issue is doing a different itinerary.

Also, it is past time that some money was spent on a better port facility in Bayonne. Royal points the finger at the Port Authority and the Port points the finger at royal. Come on guys let's work together and get rid of the tent in favor of a building and direct boarding of the ship, eliminating the bus to the ship, and better traffic flow in and out of the port.

MARAPRINCE

We have sailed on the Explorer twice to Bermuda last year and just love the ship. Have sailed the Freedon and it was nice. Sailed the Oasis in January and it is a lovely ship, but find the Explorer much more enjoyable for us. Yes, she is a bit worn, but so are we. The crew is the best and the ship and the cruisers are some of the nicest folks we have met on any ship. Looking forward to our next cruise on her in November.

Liberty is coming to NJ in May of 2012.

This has been discussed too many times. We love and just sailed Explorer again this past December, but definitely ready for freedom class.

New itineraries are not out yet, but if you notice, both Explorer and Liberty both end their dates in April of 2012.

New itineraries are not out yet, but if you notice, both Explorer and Liberty both end their dates in April of 2012.

*cough*

Have you checked recently? Explorer's schedule until October 2012 has been posted for awhile and it's still going out of Bayonne.

That's not to say that a larger ship isn't also coming to Cape Liberty but Explorer doesn't seem to be going anywhere.

I was on the Explorer in May 2006 for a 5-day Bermuda cruise. I think we were one of the the first Bayonne sailings??? That was WAY back when the parked cars at the port were being damaged by overspray. Mine being one of them.

Been on the Explorer numerous times since. We like it but are ready for a newer ship.

Voyager April 2006 was the first [or second] sailing out of Bayonne, then came Explorer. :)

Good points given by all. Thanks. Well except for the person who called me pathetic and said to move on. Took notice he hasn't sailed on the same ship twice so he cannot know what I'm talking about. Anyhow it's convenient for me to use New York area to keep costs down and I prefer to sail with RCCL. If Occulas or whatever wants to spot me air fare I'll gladly sail somewhere else.

You would think with the size of the market they'd be able to switch ships in less than ten years.

I agree. We've sailed on EOS out of Bayonne about 4Xs.

Am soooo ready for a new ship.

but isn't the height of the new ships make it a problem for cruising under the bridge as you leave Bayonne? Just wondering.

If you are tired of the Explorer send her down here to Norfolk, VA. We're tired of only having Carnival cruises two months out of a year. Feel fortunate that you are in the NY/NJ area with three choices of departure terminals within a "oh my god cab ride"! RCI could save on fuel by not having to cover the extra 400 miles between NY and VA and you get to the Caribbean a day sooner! :D

*cough*

Have you checked recently? Explorer's schedule until October 2012 has been posted for awhile and it's still going out of Bayonne.

That's not to say that a larger ship isn't also coming to Cape Liberty but Explorer doesn't seem to be going anywhere.[/Quote]

Interesting, Bermuda beyond 4/12 does not show pricing on royal website. On another site I use, the cruises are not listed at all. Did anyone try booking Explorer in may 2012? How do you book w/o prices?

Is anyone else out there fed up with the Explorer being in New york area for what seems like forever? I've done so many cruises on that ship when I think of going again I want to vomit. Sure, they had it in for a little face lift but at this point it's like lipstick on a pig. Come on RCCL give us a little change huh. Anybody have an idea how long it,s been there?

It has been reported on a Celebrity thread that Cape Liberty has been sold to the NY/NJ Port Authority and they want to turn it into a commercial shiping terminal. Many believe that RCCL owns the port but they only have a lease. You can view the thread under silhouette will home port in Venice on the celebrity boards. Read the link to the NJ Star Ledger article

[quote name='PhillyTom']I agree. We've sailed on EOS out of Bayonne about 4Xs.
Am soooo ready for a new ship.
but isn't the height of the new ships make it a problem for cruising under the bridge as you leave Bayonne? Just wondering.[/quote]

The Freedom class ships CAN fit under the VZ bridge. They are the same height as Voyager-class, and both Freedom and Liberty were in NJ for their inaugoral events and traveled under the VZ then.

Archived