Stuff to do in Sydney

• 2 months later...

Just booked a flight from Minneapolis to SYD late October for $500 - could not pass that up! Got a short 7 day RCL cruise to Tasmania booked. Then found this site with all of the Sydney suggestions for the pre and post cruise - wow!! I am getting very excited - already!! thanks for all of the great ideas.:D

Just booked a flight from Minneapolis to SYD late October for $500 - could not pass that up! Got a short 7 day RCL cruise to Tasmania booked. Then found this site with all of the Sydney suggestions for the pre and post cruise - wow!! I am getting very excited - already!! thanks for all of the great ideas.:D

That's an awesome airfare!! I wish we could travel in October!

• 4 months later...
Hi All,

I am from Sydney and figured I might just put up some options for people to do when visiting our city

1. Visit Manly on the ferry

2. Walk up to botanic gardens

3. Take the ferry to Darling Harbour

4. walk across the harbour bridge

5. go up Centrepoint tower

6. Check our the older buildings

7. Visit Haigh's Chocolates (you can also do this in Melbourne and Adelaide) it is up George St - you wont regret it

8. Visit The Strand Arcade

9. Get lost in The Rocks

10. Want to see Aussie animals and have 4 hours- Wildlife World at Darling Harbour- excellent display and the biggest wombats I have ever seen.

----that is just 10 (there is heaps more)

Other Sydney-siders what would you add?

No visit to Australia would be complete without a day trip on Sydney Harbour, arguably one of the most beautiful in the world and a mega attraction in it's own right.

Imagine being on the cleanest blue water and seeing the Harbour Bridge and Opera House, eating some great Aussie food and imbibing cold beer and the world's best wine, from Australia of course.

Will beat the buffet on deck 12 - every day in every way.

What photo opportunities you will have - photos that will make all your relatives and friends back home envious of your wonderful holiday downunder.

But a day out on the water can be very expensive option should you choose to opt for a luxury yacht or one of those fancy launches where we see the young and beautifiul gadding about with fake suntans and Moët champagne in hand - but there are cheaper options.

Consider the Manly Ferry - reasonably inexpensive and a great way to see the harbour but no real atmosphere if you want to spend some hours on the water - you also cannot set up your BBQ on the ferry and your wine will be confiscated.

Fortunately, I have been able to locate an inexpensive way for you to have a great day on the water. Great for those on a budget. You can take your own food and drinks to save on costs.

But pick a day when the sun is out and the water is calm.

Ideal for a family of four or two couples.

The unique water picnic tables are in high demand so make your bookings early - see attached photo for more information

image.jpg.2d1f25e2c30ff799b732be150494fea3.jpg

Wow! Glad someone bumped this thread or I might have missed it!

Traveling to Sydney April 2017 and I am super excited for our first visit.

So happy that you all have taken the time to make the list of where to go and what to do. Especially with the links attached.

We will be in Sydney prior to our cruise next month. Staying at the Sydney Harbour Marriott at Circular Quay. Is there shopping nearby where we can buy our toiletries & sundries for the trip? Thanks!

Yes.

Look for a Chemist (pharmacy)

Or Coles, Woolworths or Aldi (supermarkets) the nearest to you is just near Wynyard Station, that I can think of anyway. Avoid anything labelled a Cinvenience store, they charge Wah too much.

Yes.

Look for a Chemist (pharmacy)

Or Coles, Woolworths or Aldi (supermarkets) the nearest to you is just near Wynyard Station, that I can think of anyway. Avoid anything labelled a Cinvenience store, they charge Wah too much.

For generic items like shampoo, soap, shavers etc and basic medical kit items (bandaids, antiseptic creams and panadol / pain relief etc) then a supermarket is your cheapest option. There is a Coles at the top of Wynyard station which is the closest to the OPT, and a bigger Coles on George St about a block past Wynyard.

Priceline is a pharmacy chain that provides all your toiletry needs, plus perfume, makeup, through to orthotic shoes and all your medical needs both over the counter and prescription. There's one on George St just near Wynyard station. You should be able to get pretty well everything you'd need there.

• 3 weeks later...

Best thing to do in Sydney is the Pylon on the Sydney Harbour Bridge it is a 10 minute walk from the OPT where the cruises dock & only costs about $12 AUD. I have lived in Sydney all my life and this is the one thing I recommend to everyone and I love to do every so often.

It involves a few flights of stairs but you should be used to that from the cruise! There is lots of history of Sydney and the most amazing view at the top of the city, botanic gardens, darling harbour, Luna park, the bridge, all the way to manly etc

Such a cheap and easy thing to do so close to the boat dock! A great alternative to climbing the bridge which is $300 but you get the same history and almost a view as high

• 4 weeks later...
Depends on what cuisine you like, what you want to spend etc.

Cafe Sydney is wonderful food, service, view and right in Circular Quay but you'll be paying at least $100 a head for a 2/3 course meal with drinks.

Hi Braliza

Thanks for the recommendation ... looks like a nice place ... made the short list :)

Depends on what cuisine you like, what you want to spend etc.

Cafe Sydney is wonderful food, service, view and right in Circular Quay but you'll be paying at least $100 a head for a 2/3 course meal with drinks.

Hi Braliza

Thanks for the recommendation ... looks like a nice place ... made the short list :)

Cafe Sydney also has a live webcam ..heres the view today - Radiance of the Seas is in town.

http://cafesydney.com/explore-our-venue/live-cam

2j3qzoi.jpg

Hi,

We will be in Sydney for 2 days March 1 2017 post cruise. We are foodies and looking for a great dinner place to celebrate a birthday. Any suggestions for both days?

Thanks

If price isn't part of the equation then I'd recommend Quay which by some restaurant guides may be the best in Australia (Attica in Melbourne is the other that gets a lot of votes). It also has this separate dining area in a kind of a globe where you get views of both the Opera House and Bridge. We were there in March and had a great time.

For the other night we were in Sydney we dined at Rockpool. I thought the food here was actually better than Quay with more of what I think of Australian flavors (hints of Asian with local proteins). My partner had the opposite opinion. No views at this restaurant though...

If price isn't part of the equation then I'd recommend Quay which by some restaurant guides may be the best in Australia (Attica in Melbourne is the other that gets a lot of votes). It also has this separate dining area in a kind of a globe where you get views of both the Opera House and Bridge. We were there in March and had a great time.

For the other night we were in Sydney we dined at Rockpool. I thought the food here was actually better than Quay with more of what I think of Australian flavors (hints of Asian with local proteins). My partner had the opposite opinion. No views at this restaurant though...

Thanks for the recommendations ... menus looks great. On the short list

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

-and for all you Sydney-siders, any suggestions/reviews of the Spice Room at Circular Quay?? I'm hoping to eat there at least once during our upcoming visit.

We're staying at The Grace, if you have suggestions of a different or better Indian food option.

TIA,

Tutu

As a non-Australian, arriving in Sydney with jet lag, we basically slept for most of the rest of the day that we arrived, and the next day, did the Hop-on-hop-off bus (including the section to Bondi Beach) and had lunch in the Sydney tower (cheaper than dinner).

• 9 months later...

This list is awesome! Thanks to all that have contributed to it. We fly into Sydney early morning Monday, March 26 (2018) and set sail on Friday, March 30. So we will have a few days to see the area. This thread has been extremely helpful.

Which is preferable? Wildlife World at Darling Harbour or Featherdale Wildlife Park

Thanks,

Kathy