Another White Pass RR question ...

lanord

There are two possibilities with HAL for the White Pass RR -- White Pass Summitt Scenic Railway (3-3.5 hrs) or Yukon Expedition and White Pass Railway (8 hours). Some members of our group will probably prefer the '3 hour tour', and others may want the full 8 hours. Since these are separate excursions on HAL, would everyone be on the same train if there are two different excursions involved? I guess what I'm getting at is, would everyone be together, until the 3 hour tour folks of our group got off the train 'early' ? We will also be looking into private company White Pass tours as an alternative to HAL. I assume we could do the same kind of thing with a private company -- some go the 1/2 day, and some the whole day?

Just trying to get it all figured out... Thks for your help!

:)

Leigh Ann

Since these are separate excursions on HAL, would everyone be on the same train if there are two different excursions involved? I guess what I'm getting at is, would everyone be together, until the 3 hour tour folks of our group got off the train 'early' ?

No, those are separate trains. Anything you can do with HAL you can also do with independent operators - except their special champagne train trip.

Chilkoot Charters & Tours offers several tours that are excellent. We did them a couple years ago, had a private rail car up and a mini bus back, and it was one of the best excursions I've done.

I am going to look what Chilkoot has to offer. We will probably have 7 of our group wanting to ride the train, but everyone may not want the seven hour version. First, we have to figure out who wants what. :rolleyes:

I am going to look what Chilkoot has to offer. We will probably have 7 of our group wanting to ride the train, but everyone may not want the seven hour version. First, we have to figure out who wants what. :rolleyes:

Great idea to split up. Alaska is such a costly place to visit, you might as well all get to do what you want. We took the longer tour all the way to Carcross. It was an amazing day of beautiful scenery.

We also used Chilkoot Charters for their 7.5 hour Yukon Train/Bus Combo! It was great experience! You can see photos and my review on my blog:

http://moonprincess.com/travel/category/cruises/alaska-2010/

Click on the Skagway link.

Is this your link to your cruise to Alaska? Read it on another thread -- it was awesome from what to pack to what your did, etc.

If this is not the link, than would you kindly repost?

AWESOME INFORMATION -

Many thanks, Colleen

Is this your link to your cruise to Alaska? Read it on another thread -- it was awesome from what to pack to what your did, etc.

If this is not the link, than would you kindly repost?

AWESOME INFORMATION -

Many thanks, Colleen

this is the correct link, Colleen...i've just been looking at her alaska pictures and reading the packing list....great list!!!! Great link!!

We also used Chilkoot Charters for their 7.5 hour Yukon Train/Bus Combo! It was great experience! You can see photos and my review on my blog:

http://moonprincess.com/travel/category/cruises/alaska-2010/

Click on the Skagway link.

We also did the 7.5 hour Yukon Train/Bus tour with Chilkoot Charters. It was fabulous! The bus portion was our group of six and one group of four. It worked out great, and was more relaxing than being part of the big bus tours. I would highly recommend it! :D

We also did the 7.5 hour Yukon Train/Bus tour with Chilkoot Charters. It was fabulous! The bus portion was our group of six and one group of four. It worked out great, and was more relaxing than being part of the big bus tours. I would highly recommend it! :D

That is who we are booking with too! My friend emailed them and they told us to contact them again in late October...we are doing the 15 min dogsled ride thing, as well as all the rest of that particular excursion....

Ok, on this particular excursion...we are doing the train up there, bus back...which side of the train do we need to sit on? Does anyone know? thanks!

That is who we are booking with too! My friend emailed them and they told us to contact them again in late October...we are doing the 15 min dogsled ride thing, as well as all the rest of that particular excursion....

Ok, on this particular excursion...we are doing the train up there, bus back...which side of the train do we need to sit on? Does anyone know? thanks!

Leaving Skagway on the train, sit on the left side but make sure you get up and go outside on the platform while the train is moving!! It's an amazing rush! Once you get to Fraser, sit on the left side/driver's side of the bus.

Leaving Skagway on the train, sit on the left side but make sure you get up and go outside on the platform while the train is moving!! It's an amazing rush! Once you get to Fraser, sit on the left side/driver's side of the bus.

I know I've seen which side to sit on before, but this time I swear I'm writing it down! :rolleyes:

If we're taking the bus up and the train back, would we sit on the right side for for legs?

If you are taking the bus up, I think you still sit on the left side. When you come back down via train, sit on the right side. It's basically up=left, down=right.

Up-left

Down-right

up-left

down-right

Up-left

Down-right

up-left

down-right

i figure if i say this a whole bunch of times, i might actually remember this!:o:p thanks!!

We did the dog cart ride, too. It got a bit dusty as they ran along the trail, but was fun anyway. It is amazing how much the dogs love to pull the dog sleds.

Up-left

Down-right;)

The one thing people fail to point out is only so many people can sit on one side of the train car. In our case, we did share the train car with others. We arrived after they had already boarded. Not everyone in our group could get a seat on the left side. People often comment that Chilkoot gets their own cars. This may be the case most of the time, but it was not the case the day we went. Even if they do get their own car and have a large group, everyone can't sit on the left side. You just do the best you can to get their as early as you can and hope it works out. I felt bad for those on the right side going up because you definitely get a better view if you are on the left going up.

On the way down on the Chilkoot bus, it didn't matter what side you sat on. We were on their smallest mini-bus I believe (13 passenger). Their windows are so huge and the bus is small (one side has a single row of seats), that you can easily see across the aisle, past the other row of seats and through the windows and still get a great view. It is a wonderful tour.

We chose their longer tour to Carcross that includes Bennet Lake. For anyone who has scenery as a priority over the dog sledding, I highly suggest this tour. After Fraser (where the shorter tour ends) the scenery is absolutely breathtaking. We were very glad we chose the longer tour.

We chose their longer tour to Carcross that includes Bennet Lake. For anyone who has scenery as a priority over the dog sledding, I highly suggest this tour. After Fraser (where the shorter tour ends) the scenery is absolutely breathtaking. We were very glad we chose the longer tour.

This is the one we picked, too. I'm glad to hear you thought it was a good choice.

So now I just have to remember...

;)up-left, down-right;)

...unless there's nowhere to sit. I thought I had heard the train and the bus take a different route so it depended on which you were taking in which direction as to where you sit. Does that make sense?

This is the one we picked, too. I'm glad to hear you thought it was a good choice.

So now I just have to remember...

;)up-left, down-right;)

...unless there's nowhere to sit. I thought I had heard the train and the bus take a different route so it depended on which you were taking in which direction as to where you sit. Does that make sense?

Part of the train trip parallels the road, but not the whole trip. The train will take you to some totally different scenery. That is why it is nice to do both if you love scenic tours.

If you get "stuck" on the right side of the train, you can always spend some time outside on the platform. Being on the right side going down is for the train. I didn't find it mattered on the bus ride down which side you were on. Like I said, with the Chilkoot smaller mini-buses and those large windows, you could easily see across and enjoy the scenery.

I had previously read the report on your land/tour part of your cruise several months ago and loved it. I just found this thread where you gave the link to your packing list! This is awesome information. We will be on our cruise this July at almost the exact same time as yours so I am finding it enormously helpful. Most especially the part about what you used and what you didn't. We had been debating the type of rainsuit to buy and your information helps a lot in terms of shopping. Your suggestion for the convertible pants also helps with my concern on not being overweight in the luggage department because they are charging so much these days for luggage. I just bought a hand held luggage scale because last August we got to the airport for our return flight from San Juan and found that when the bags got re-packed one was heavier than the others so there we were at the airport scrambling to re-pack the bags right there in front of a lot of people! But anyways, loved your suggestion for having pants and shorts all in one. I was planning on bringing jeans, very heavy as you say. I just printed your list! Thank YOu.

I had previously read the report on your land/tour part of your cruise several months ago and loved it. I just found this thread where you gave the link to your packing list! This is awesome information. We will be on our cruise this July at almost the exact same time as yours so I am finding it enormously helpful. Most especially the part about what you used and what you didn't. We had been debating the type of rainsuit to buy and your information helps a lot in terms of shopping. Your suggestion for the convertible pants also helps with my concern on not being overweight in the luggage department because they are charging so much these days for luggage. I just bought a hand held luggage scale because last August we got to the airport for our return flight from San Juan and found that when the bags got re-packed one was heavier than the others so there we were at the airport scrambling to re-pack the bags right there in front of a lot of people! But anyways, loved your suggestion for having pants and shorts all in one. I was planning on bringing jeans, very heavy as you say. I just printed your list! Thank YOu.

You are very, very welcome!! Glad I can help others on this board. We got so much great info from the Alaska Board when planning our trip. Glad I can pay it forward!!

Archived