• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Just back from the Millennium,

Mike & Sue

had a wonderful time on our first cruise. Weather was great, ports were fun and interesting. We did not take any planned group excursions and see no need to. Excellent food, service and entertaintment. Definitely would go again. No time or energy to do an in depth review, but would be glad to try to answer any questions from our limited perspective. Had dinner one night in the Olympic which we would rate a B to B+. Clearly the menu and options in the Olympic are confusing. The Concierge Class upgrade well worth it and the balcony absolutely made the cruise in our opinion. Couple rough nights at sea, but we easily adjusted and made it fun!! Back home and kids (young adults) did a great job maintaining the house (relief). We thank you all for the advice pre-trip which was very helpful. Mike and Sue

Glad you had a good time! Would love for you to go into more detail on what you did on your own in the ports?

Also if the Olympic was a B/B+ what would you give the main dinig room?

I'm sure I'll think of more questions soon!

What did we do in ports on our own?

Casa de Campo - took the free cruise shuttle to both Altos de Chavon and the Marina. We found both very interesting and beautiful. This took about 2 hours total, and it was just the kind of easy change of pace from the ship we were looking for. This area is a work in progress, lots of luxury residential and marina construction going on. There is a little market at the pier where we bought some sodas and water to take back on the ship.

San Juan - we easily walked to Old Town and followed (sort of) a Frommers walking tour. Went back on the ship for lunch then back off to do a bit more touring. As we were getting on and off the ship, Puerto Rican rum cos. were offering excellent free drinks (very strong). Also went to Senor Frogs and Hard Rock Cafe for more drinks. Old Town is great if you are interested in seeing old buildings, architecture and restoration, etc.

St. Thomas- cab to Magens Bay for a morning of soaking up the sun and playing in the warm calm waters - excellent and scenic all the way there and back. Back on the ship for lunch and then an afternoon of intense shopping just across from the dock area.

Nassau - cab to Atlantis Paradise Isl. for a tour of the resort. Had a so-so, but expensive lunch there. Beautiful resort that our son had been to and raved about, so we wanted to visit. Then some brief shopping downtown.

More experienced cruisers may be non-plused by our port activities, but we were fine with it as the ship was our main focus of activity and exploration.

Olympic - we ate there on the last nite - Sat. It was busy, but not packed. Mostly we went there out of curiosity, and the controversial comments on this board. The wine pairing menu was confusing and the the waiter was reluctant to allow any substitutions. The extra cost of 27.95 would represent the various wines. Intially our intention was to do the wine pairing but we were not pleased with the 2 main course selections. After many questions about the traditional menu we decided on that and a bottle of wine - 35.00. Actually you can have all 6 or 7 courses on that menu, but it would be impossible to eat that much. Food presentation was excellent, but we thought the caesar salad was too much anchovy taste and the main courses - flambeaued (sp?) prawns and veal saltimbocca (sp?) were somewhat overly simple and slightly bland. Cheeses, lobster bisque and grand manier souffle were fantastic. All in all, way too complicated and pretentious and we now have a clearer undestanding why we stopped dining in such places several years ago.

Main Dining rating - A. extremely good and great service consistently. We had the early seating.

Cruise Director was Stewart Turnbull - excellent. He is full of energy and helped make a good time. He was always popping up in different places. We stopped him to ask a question while coming into Nassau and ended up having a terrific 20 min. conversation about a million different things and it was us that had to politely beg off so we could head into town. On deembarkation day, he was saying goodbye to all and recognized us by name.

WOW! Thanks for the great review. We're on the Millennium this weekend and have reserved the Olympic during the cruise for one of the formal nights. :rolleyes: Interesting to hear what you had to say.

Mostly though I was very interested in your plans for the ports of call. We've been to them all and tend to do as you do......avoid the pre-arranged tours and "roll our own". (For example the Hard Rock in San Juan, Megans Bay and shopping in Charlotte Amalie, etc). Your sailing style sounds a lot like ours. (Signed up for a tour at every port once and won't do that again.) We booked only last month, got Concierge Class for a steal and now can't wait.

Thanks for helping to psych us up.:)

Hi Rick and Anne,

I also was on the Millennium last week. We were a group of 8 and had a wonderful time. We didn't have any pre planned excursions, and loved doing our own exploring.

We ate at the Olympic on Tuesday night. We found the menu selection very straightforward. On the left was the wine tasting menu and on the right was the regular menu. The wine tasting menu has 2 extra courses and wine pairings with it. The portions are smaller and so are the wine glasses. The cost is an extra $27 or so dollars. We brought our own wine, so it was not an issue. There was a special that night, a filet with black truffle sauce. It was excellent. I knew our maitre D' from a past sailing on the Infinity, and he was kind enought to give us a kitchen tour. I also asked for the grand marnier soufflle instead of the chocolate.

Everyone at our table was impressed with the food, the service and the gracious tone of the evening.

We had a wonderful week, loved the ship, the crew, the martinis, and the food. We all booked another cruise onboard on the Constellation next Feb.

Hope you enjoy.

Mari

Thanks for the information. Sounds like you had a great time. We are doing the same cruise in a month. Great to hear Stewart is aboard. Sailed with him as ACD on the Mercury and Summit.

Your cruise sounds a lot like what we have planned. Some good old fashioned relaxation. Nothing realing overly taxing.

Back home and kids (young adults) did a great job maintaining the house (relief). We thank you all for the advice pre-trip which was very helpful. Mike and Sue

I cannot imagine the pleasure of coming home to a house that has not been trashed! The stepkids really just do not get it and I just got home from a perfect week on Serenade and came home to a mess, including my own room which was also trashed. Locks on my door from now on.

Congratulations on raising your kids properly.

Does anyone know which nights on the Millenium cruise out of FLL to Casa de Campo, PR, USVI, and Bahamas are the formal nights? I made reservations at the Olumpic the last night but am not sure that is right night to go to that restaurant. Any help on this would be much appreciated!!

Archived