Grand Turk Nathans Golf Carts

swimgirl1

Nathan gives you a map but it is not the best:(

When we arrived at Grand Turk the information booth was closed.

When we returned at the end of the day it was open (no one there) but they did have a map brochure. I hope this helps. It has a lot of good information on it with phone numbers etc.

GrandTurkmap.jpg

GrandTurkInforguide.jpg

GrandTurkinfo.jpg

Edited by reno3

Renting a golf cart sounds fun, and I think that I would like to do that. Does anyone know how much it costs to rent one for the day?

I can't remember if it was $80.00 or $85.00.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
please do! We have them reserved for Thanksgiving week. Can you also tell me what the age limit is to drive? We have driven them on Little Gasparilla Island and my 8 and 13 year olds were allowed to take the wheel.

do you need a driver license to rent a cart?

Just wanted to reassure anyone that is nervous about renting thru Nathan on Grand Turk.

I had a group on the Carnival Liberty in March (2010) and we emailed Nathan to reserve 6 carts for us. I emailed Nathan my credit card number and info.

When we arrived and found location of carts, you will sign charge receipt.

We had a small issue with incorrect amount but Nathan is GOOD and an honorable man. We received our credit on our charge account.

The cart experience is a blast. We stopped at many locations and beaches along the way. Reading the map is an experience in itself but it made the adventure more fun. We stopped at a nearby gas station on the way back to the port to refill gas tanks with amount we used. The carts worked great and everyone agreed it was the best way to see alot of the beautiful island. It is gorgous and scenic.

All in all, we had a fantastic time and would love to go back and do it again. Nathan and his employee's are very respectable and honest.:D

Jan

We were able to walk off the ship just after docking, go straight to Nathan and rent a cart with no reservation. I'm sure it helped we were the only ship in port. It was $80 for the whole day. You were required to return the cart 1/2 full of gas or pay $10. His map isn't the greatest but the island is so small there is no way to get real lost. We wandered around dodging horses, cows, donkeys and ocassional "piles"left behind. We did a lot of back tracking through several neigborhoods. People would wave and smile knowing we were mixed up tourists. We had a blast and saw everything we wanted to see. To us this was much better than a tour bus or cab tour. Having the ability to stop when we wanted and where we wanted to take pictures was priceless.

• 3 weeks later...

We had a great experience as well. No reservation - I was too nervous to email my CC info, but we walked off the ship and got a Jeep with no problem.

With the Jeeps, it's 1/2 a tank or $15, so gas is a little more with those. Just a note - the $15 is probably cheaper for most of you. We put $18 in and only got 3 gallons. We wouldn't have stopped at the gas station, but we got the Jeep with less than 1/4 a tank and didn't want to get stuck around the island.

We had no issues with our Jeep - it was a blast! The guys took the top off for us and we were off. I got a map from Fodor's that helped as well, more than the one he gave. It listed more of the places I wanted to go.

Can't figure out how to edit my reply, but could someone please tell me how much to rent the Jeeps?

And also, if we did decide to rent a golf cart, what would we do with it when we decide to go to the beach or in the pool? Just do our driving around first, return the golf cart and then enjoy the water? Or is there a place to park them?

Can't figure out how to edit my reply, but could someone please tell me how much to rent the Jeeps?

And also, if we did decide to rent a golf cart, what would we do with it when we decide to go to the beach or in the pool? Just do our driving around first, return the golf cart and then enjoy the water? Or is there a place to park them?

I think the jeeps are $85.00 and you bring it back with a 1/2 tank of gas or pay $15.00 when you return it. As for what to do with it when you go to the beach and pool you just park it and take the key with you.

Does anyone have a recommendation as to Jeep versus golf cart? We have checked into reserving them and Nathan says they are the same price.

Is there an insurance issue? I read somewhere (don't know if it was this thread or another) that it can be a mess if you are in an accident in a jeep or car etc etc. Also seems though that there isn't much traffic on the island. My DH have kids ages 8 and 10 and will be travelling with 2 other groups of 3 (2 adults, 1 teen in each). Just seeing if anyone has an opinion on the matter!

Does anyone have a recommendation as to Jeep versus golf cart? We have checked into reserving them and Nathan says they are the same price.

Is there an insurance issue? I read somewhere (don't know if it was this thread or another) that it can be a mess if you are in an accident in a jeep or car etc etc. Also seems though that there isn't much traffic on the island. My DH have kids ages 8 and 10 and will be travelling with 2 other groups of 3 (2 adults, 1 teen in each). Just seeing if anyone has an opinion on the matter!

We rented a golf cart from Nathan in April.

At the time I did not know he had jeeps. I don't think it would have meade difference to us. With the jeep you have to climb in and out of the back.

The golf cart you just step off the back if sitting in the back. I have a bad back so I would not have been able to climb in and out of the jeep and my DS and DH are 6 feet tall and I don't think they would have liked climbing in and out also. As for insurance issues between the both I don't know. There is not a lot of traffic and with the golf cart if a car pulls up behind you you just pull to the side and let them pass you.

DSCN0601.jpg

DSCN0543.jpg?t=1304186242

• 2 weeks later...

I saw the map on post #29...great! I did a copy/paste to a word doc.

Last year we grabbed a cab to Bohio Dive Resort, which I see is about half-way up the map from the cruise port...didn't seem like that long of a drive.

I'd like to see some sights on the island and still spend a couple of hours at Jacks.

How long would it take, say, to get to the Lighthouse? via golf cart.

Hi, My husband and I and 2 friends also rented the golfcart and really appreciated the map and information. If you CLICK ON THE MESSAGE # UP IN THE UPPER RIGHT CORNER OF THE MESSAGE YOU CAN PRINT OFF A COPY OF THE MAP FOR YOURSELF. I just did it and it worked perfectly.

Sharon

I just want to say that I used this thread to find information on what to do in Grand Turk. I called Nathans and reserved a cart for the day we were in port. I was treated very nice buy the person on the other end of the phone, my reservation was waiting for me when I arrived, and the whole cart rental went smooth as butter.

Now, I am also inclined to say that it was a total waste of money too. I, along with my wife and 2 children rode that thing around for a few hours, and saw NOTHING but poverty. (I know it's to be expected) I thought Grand Turk was the worst island I have ever visited in the Caribbean. There is simply NOTHING to do there.

With that said, I hope everyone else is treated as we were, which was pleasantly.

I just want to say that I used this thread to find information on what to do in Grand Turk. I called Nathans and reserved a cart for the day we were in port. I was treated very nice buy the person on the other end of the phone, my reservation was waiting for me when I arrived, and the whole cart rental went smooth as butter.

Now, I am also inclined to say that it was a total waste of money too. I, along with my wife and 2 children rode that thing around for a few hours, and saw NOTHING but poverty. (I know it's to be expected) I thought Grand Turk was the worst island I have ever visited in the Caribbean. There is simply NOTHING to do there.

With that said, I hope everyone else is treated as we were, which was pleasantly.

360-Thanks! I had also been wondering if it is worth the $80+gas for a few hours. Not so much concerned about the poverty but just the simple fact of the sighseeing aspect of it...not much there. I know that much of the island is still recovering from a hurricane as well. No big deal and it sounds fun..zipping around on a cart, but not sure I want to spend the $$ to do it. We may just pass and hang at the beach especially since we pull into port at 7am.

I have to say - we rented golf carts from Nathan a few years back and are planning on doing it again next year! Yes, the island is poverty stricken! However, we had a blast! We drove all over the island and met a lot of nice people. We stopped at a local bar and had a drink and a snack and were treated like royalty! The people there really appreciate you going there and spending your money with local businesses. We found a lot of nooks and crannies and took some great pics.

We traveled with my 2 sons and a friend of theres and I was glad they got to see how those people were living. Kind of taught them not to take what you have for granted! Good lesson for the kids to see that!

I'd rather spend my money on the golf carts and in local shops on the island than at Margaritaville for the day!

Planning on finding Jack's Shack this time around! In my opinion - it's worth the $80!