POLL- Concierge Programme

OrpingtonT

How likely are to to cruise with Regent after April, 2012?  

144 members have voted

1. 1. How likely are to to cruise with Regent after April, 2012?

• Not at all likely, it's a deal breaker.
    • Probably not.
    • Probably will.
    • Very likely, it makes no difference

I don't like the chnage either; but what can I do? I'm not going to cancel my November, 2012 Transatlantic, which I booked before Concierge Class was announced, in the lowest available category. The cost to upgrade to an E isn't worth it.

I do think everyone should have an equal shot at specialty restaurant reservations.

Thankfully, this does not take effect until 2012. You will be fine on "our" 2012 Transatlantic in November:)

Okay -- I am an IDIOT. The moment I hit "Submit Reply" I noticed an email from very close friends. By the time I was finished responding, it was too late to edit.

There is nothing else I can say about that except that November, 2012 is definitely after April 2012. Hopefully, posters on CruiseCritic can convince Regent to rethink this horrible downgrade before 2012 even occurs.

This restaurant thing should be put in perspective.

First, everyone is guaranteed one reservation in each specialty restaurant available. It might not be the exact day, time or table that one desires, but let's put to rest this hogwash about not being able to get a reservation. You have a guarantee.

Next, not everyone is able to book at the same moment, so there will always be some ahead of others, and the spots that you want could be gone, even without a priority system.

If you have mastered the system or have some special pull that you are always able to be first, and you always book category F or lower, then under this new system, you do, indeed, run the risk of being second or worse. If this is important to you, there is no doubt you should be leaving Regent.

Fortunately, there are lots of evenings and lots of time slots and lots of tables, and even more fortunately, not everyone is of the same mind about which of those evenings or time slots are ideal. In other words, the chances are that no matter when you book, there will be something available that will suit. In fact, the one that you consider perfect may be the one that every other passenger avoids. The odds are in your favor -- every evening and every time slot has multiple tables available, and the chances are that not enough people with priority will suck all those up.

But, let's say that the unlikely happens -- your spouse's birthday is on day 3 of the cruise, you want a table for two to celebrate, the ideal time for you is 8 PM, you're in category F, and even though you are willing to spend hours on the computer to get in at the earliest possible moment, or set your phone to automatically redial, all those folks who were priority entitled by that horrible blood-sucking management have taken every available table for two at 8 PM on the 3rd day of the cruise.

Guess what -- they hold back some reservations for those who wait until they are aboard to book. You have another shot at it! But wait -- those same people have priority boarding! They're going to be boarding before you and rush to the maitre'd to reserve that very spot you need, or your entire cruise will be ruined and you'll be forced to go to some other cruise line!

I don't know how to figure the long odds on something like that happening, but I suppose it could happen. In that case, try appealing to the F & B manager -- this is Regent, not a mass market line, and my sincere guess is that he will work something out for you if it's that important.

And, I got through all of the above without mentioning the obvious already present class system -- that butlers are able to accomplish things with reservations the "lower" class cannot.

This restaurant thing should be put in perspective.

First, everyone is guaranteed one reservation in each specialty restaurant available. It might not be the exact day, time or table that one desires, but let's put to rest this hogwash about not being able to get a reservation. You have a guarantee.

Next, not everyone is able to book at the same moment, so there will always be some ahead of others, and the spots that you want could be gone, even without a priority system.

If you have mastered the system or have some special pull that you are always able to be first, and you always book category F or lower, then under this new system, you do, indeed, run the risk of being second or worse. If this is important to you, there is no doubt you should be leaving Regent.

Fortunately, there are lots of evenings and lots of time slots and lots of tables, and even more fortunately, not everyone is of the same mind about which of those evenings or time slots are ideal. In other words, the chances are that no matter when you book, there will be something available that will suit. In fact, the one that you consider perfect may be the one that every other passenger avoids. The odds are in your favor -- every evening and every time slot has multiple tables available, and the chances are that not enough people with priority will suck all those up.

But, let's say that the unlikely happens -- your spouse's birthday is on day 3 of the cruise, you want a table for two to celebrate, the ideal time for you is 8 PM, you're in category F, and even though you are willing to spend hours on the computer to get in at the earliest possible moment, or set your phone to automatically redial, all those folks who were priority entitled by that horrible blood-sucking management have taken every available table for two at 8 PM on the 3rd day of the cruise.

Guess what -- they hold back some reservations for those who wait until they are aboard to book. You have another shot at it! But wait -- those same people have priority boarding! They're going to be boarding before you and rush to the maitre'd to reserve that very spot you need, or your entire cruise will be ruined and you'll be forced to go to some other cruise line!

I don't know how to figure the long odds on something like that happening, but I suppose it could happen. In that case, try appealing to the F & B manager -- this is Regent, not a mass market line, and my sincere guess is that he will work something out for you if it's that important.

And, I got through all of the above without mentioning the obvious already present class system -- that butlers are able to accomplish things with reservations the "lower" class cannot.

Don,

You are a sweetie and I totally respect you. However (you knew there was a 'however' in there someplace:-) you are a long time Oceania loyalist and are fairly new to Regent. So, let me give you my side (that holds no more or less importance than anyone elses).

Regent is suppose to be a luxury cruise line. Some passengers have been sailing multiple times per year since the inception of Regent/Radisson and have spent hundreds of thousands of dollars. These same people are now being told that they must board at 3:00 p.m. and take whatever is available after the "upper suites" have made their choices? How would you feel?

In the real world, as I am sure you are aware. . . . . there is something called "grandfathering". My DH and I reeive retirement health benefits from his former employer even though people hired during the past 10-15 years do not. The company respects and recognizes the commitment of their long term employees.

IMO, there is absolutely no reason why Regent cannot grandfather those loyal customers who are gold and above. They should be entitled to early boarding and early dining reservations. This is not a huge deal, but, could save the reputation and customers of Regent.

Is this really too much to ask?

Don,

You may be 100% correct and I hope you are but, who says you will still have the guaranteed seating at each restaurant. Regent lately has been making changes that effect people who have already booked and could eliminate that as well. And, what about the people who made reservations for cruises post April 2012 who based their reservations on the rules in place when they booked and now they've been changed without any recourse to the passenger.

If Regent can change rules after people book under a different set of rules, they can then change anything at any time even after we are into the more than $200 penalty phase.

It would seem that Regent knew this change was coming before they opened bookings for April 2012 and on so why didn't Regent make these changes public prior to opening bookings??

Even now, as best I can tell, the new concierage program is not shown on the Regent website so people are still booking and unaware that what they have been promised on the website and within Regent brochures is, in some cases is no longer true.

This certainly sounds like false advertising and in some locations is against the law. This gaffe by Regent may be enough in itself to cause them to at least move the implementation of these new policies to 2013 post existing reservations and hopefully have management rethink this change in total.

Wonder what would happen if people already booked post March 2012 demanded a full refund??

And, to take it a step further. Where is the announcement of this alleged change from Regent? Our TA is not even aware of it. It has been stated by one poster who is anonymous. Based on input from my TA, I question the whole thing!

Again....I am amazed at how people get excited about a meal or meal time.

Get on the ship and relax...isn't that what it's all about.

What is all this hysteria about being able to book in advance. As I mentioned before, we have many times been lucky to get into the alternative restaurants without a reservation because many people book and then don't cancel if they don't appear. Instead of railing at the ship, why not try teach better social manners for those passengers who aren't aware.

And, to take it a step further. Where is the announcement of this alleged change from Regent? Our TA is not even aware of it. It has been stated by one poster who is anonymous. Based on input from my TA, I question the whole thing!

TC2,

Just Google "Regent Seven Seas Concierge Program." and you'll see plenty of information about the program.

Dave

Again....I am amazed at how people get excited about a meal or meal time.

Get on the ship and relax...isn't that what it's all about.

What is all this hysteria about being able to book in advance. As I mentioned before, we have many times been lucky to get into the alternative restaurants without a reservation because many people book and then don't cancel if they don't appear. Instead of railing at the ship, why not try teach better social manners for those passengers who aren't aware.

Well Resoponder,

I guess if you put a non-refundable deposit on a fully loaded Cadillac and when you went to pick it up they gave you a Chevy Aveo and charged you the same price it wouldn't upset you. Especially after you found out that GM had decided to close down Cadillac before you ordered your Cadillac and put down your deposit.

I know, quite a difference but, the same principal. Enjoy your Korean chevy.

TC2,

Just Google "Regent Seven Seas Concierge Program." and you'll see plenty of information about the program.

Dave

Dave: Thanks once again. I was taken aback when my my TA said that it had not been announced yet. They (and I) are apparently wrong.:)

Responder: You are certainly entitled to your opinion. From the perspective of many long-time Regent customers, it is about far more than dining reservations. Rallydave gave a good example. Not sure if you have invested a quarter of a million dollars into Regent cruises as many people I know have done. . . . but, with that type of loyalty, this new policy is a slap in the face. How dare they treat customers in this manner:mad:

TC, I am the "anonymous" poster of the news about Concierge Class. My information was based on an e-mail that I received directly from Regent.

Yes -- sorry, couldn't think of your screen name. A person in my TA's office thought that there was a leak at Regent because the information had not been sent out to them yet. What are your thoughts regarding this policy?

Looks like the "likelys" are starting to pass the "unlikelys". Quick, those who think the sky is falling, vote! :D

Jackie, thinking that those who have spent a quarter of a million dollars on Regent should preserve some privilege, while railing against that privilege based on how much money one spends on a cabin, is not going to work.

People say that everyone should be treated fairly and equally no matter what their 'status' but in the same breath say they expect preferential treatment exactly because of their 'status'. I prefer to focus on having a great time relaxing with old and new friends and dinner reservations come a LONG way down my list of priorities.

Dave: Thanks once again. I was taken aback when my my TA said that it had not been announced yet. They (and I) are apparently wrong.:)

Responder: You are certainly entitled to your opinion. From the perspective of many long-time Regent customers, it is about far more than dining reservations. Rallydave gave a good example. Not sure if you have invested a quarter of a million dollars into Regent cruises as many people I know have done. . . . but, with that type of loyalty, this new policy is a slap in the face. How dare they treat customers in this manner:mad:

I still don't understand the rage....

Next week we are going on Regent cruise #7 and in Nov we have long since been booked on #8. I don't think we have spent a quarter of a million dollars as you have referenced, but so what.

If Regent as well as other luxury cruise lines don't effect change and fresh ideas from time to time, they will be left in the wake. Those long time customers won't be around forever.

As I peruse these boards, I find this same attitude prevails with the other long time luxury cruisers...look at Crystal for example.

Unless we enter an era of Shangra La where everyone lives for 150 years, those million dollar cruisers won't be around and the current generation doesn't have a lot of relativity to ours. For example just look at their music...dress...lack of reading...unending need to expose themselves in the Facebook world and how could they possibly know what's going on when their heads are connected to their IPhones during every waking moment...even while driving their cars.

Mind you, I am not offering a mass indictment of the younger generation, but trying to create an awareness of today's reality.

Sure, those of us who need the constant recognition to survive and who are adamantly opposed to change even before they have experienced it won't even begin to agree with my thoughts. Technology is advancing so quickly that one has to run just to stand still.

This is such a subjective thing. I've said it before I think, but I'll say it again. The first time on Radisson, we were treated like "kings and queens". I loved that. I expected to feel intimidated (never having cruised before at all), by all the glamour, the pomp and circumstance. I was pleasantly surprised that this was handled very gracefully, and everyone was made to feel special. I don't want that to go away.

But then again, it's not a big deal in the grand scheme of things. I may very well find O in my future, but I guess Prestige doesn't much care.

TC - I was upset when I first heard about it but after thinking about it found that it no longer matters to me. There are several luxury cruise lines out there and if I don't like what Regent is offering in 2012 I will switch to another line. At the moment I doubt that Regent's policy will have much affect on me.

TC - I was upset when I first heard about it but after thinking about it found that it no longer matters to me. There are several luxury cruise lines out there and if I don't like what Regent is offering in 2012 I will switch to another line. At the moment I doubt that Regent's policy will have much affect on me.

Threechicks....

Music to my ears...The last thing on earth I want is to be treated like a King....;)

People who don't object to priority reservations or not getting the ame number of reservations one is used to are usually those who don't mind eating at 6 or 6:30PM when it's much easier to get a table. If you prefer to eat at 7:30 or 8 it's much harder to get a table so the guaranteed reservation is useless.

Really! Strange, we just love the luxury, and the way we're made to feel special. This is unique for us, since when we do other travel, we usually stay in modest hotels and B&B's. To each his own!

For myself, I find that it's nice to be catered to -- for a while. After about two weeks I want to hole up, return to my unmade bed after breakfast for some reading ... and I find the pampering to be, will you understand me if I say, overly helpful. Just for a day, though! But sometimes I want to be able to sit in a public space without being offered service every 10 minutes*, or to walk that last three paces to my table without someone stopping me to offer to carry my plate the rest of the way!!!!!:)

But for what it's worth -- any time someone "sirs" me, I sir them right back. It's a deal I made with myself when I was 12 years old and a gray-haired man attending to a food buffet said "pardon me, sir" or something like that, and I was uncomfortable and vowed to remedy the balance. I have kept that deal to this day (40 years). Every pool waiter has gotten a "sir" right back. They don't seem to mind! (The only problem is when a woman sirs me; what do I say then? "Ma'am" seems a little much if she's young, and "miss" I don't think will work! Any suggestions?)

* -- I realize that the answer to that problem is to accept a drink from the first person who asks and then not finish it. It must hurt them a little bit inside to see a guest with nothing in front of them! For what it's worth, I understand that there are many who would spit bullets if they weren't treated this way....:)!

For myself, I find that it's nice to be catered to -- for a while. After about two weeks I want to hole up and cook my own scrambled eggs and I find the pampering to be, will you understand me if I say, overly helpful.

Yes, well, we've never been lucky enough to cruise longer than 14 days, so there you go.

But for what it's worth -- any time someone "sirs" me, I sir them right back. ... (The only problem is when a woman sirs me; what do I say then? "Ma'am" seems a little much if she's young, and "miss" I don't think will work! Any suggestions?)

Funny. My friend Jim does that onboard as well. He makes a big joke of it, and all the staff end up devoted to him. As for women, "Madame", pronounced the French way, with the accent on the second syllable, said in a grand way, should do it for any age.

Like Wendy, we have never sailed for more than 14 days. If we did not want to be spoiled, pampered and fussed over, we would sail on a non-luxury cruise line and would probably save lots of $$$. When you work your whole life to be able to enjoy this level of service, it is appreciated very much!

Archived