Dress Code

gkgk123ca

Seabourn passengers are not illiterate - just properly spell out the attire expectation in the Herald and they will comply.

For gents, you must pack a smart blazer or two, and if you really want to shine, bring a tux or dark suit.

I am disappointed that I got such a blatantly incorrect dress code response from the head office, but mistakes are made in life. Once I boarded, I have had a marvelous time.

Porto Venere today was a true gem and we won trivia.

Cheers,

johnny

Club party night was elegant casual. All gents wore blazers, perhaps 20% wore a tie. Ladies all looked great. This cruise was very port-intensive (every day, except Marina Day off Elba), so it seemed a bit more casual than in the past ... perhaps since we were all worn out by dinnertime.

MUCH less formal than a Christmas or New Year's cruise!

Thanks Johnny ~ I thought perhaps your Club night would not be too dressy ~ I miss Club nights in the Observation Lounges when this evening was special and the dress was formal. Also, not only the guest with the most days was honored but Captain would present red roses to other ladies ~ One Caribbean sailing Captain and Jan Stearman presented my Mother with a dozen red roses for simply being the oldest aboard ~a mere 91 years young.

Hope your flight home was pleasant:p

MB

Pinkie

Rex

Yes, Jan is still sailing regularly on the larger ships. I believe she was aboard the Odyssey recently. Jan has been trying to retire ~Dan, her husband, as you know, played the saxaphone in the old Seabourn band ~when they revised the band, Dan no longer had a job. But he sails with Jan quite often. They are a lovely couple ~

Martita B.

Rex

Yes, Jan is still sailing regularly on the larger ships. I believe she was aboard the Odyssey recently. Jan has been trying to retire ~Dan, her husband, as you know, played the saxaphone in the old Seabourn band ~when they revised the band, Dan no longer had a job. But he sails with Jan quite often. They are a lovely couple ~

Martita B.

Martita.

Many thanks for this, yes quite agree she is a superb CD, yes when we were on Sojourn her husband was with her. Hope that someday our paths will cross again, before she retires. LOL!!!

Rex

• 3 weeks later...
Rex

Martita B.

Jan was the excellent CD on our recent Majestic Fjords and North Cape cruise on Pride. She told me she will be on Pride until October 2011. Dan was on board for a few days and added to a very impressive Blues and Jazz Night in the Club one evening.

• 2 weeks later...

I am a huge fan of formal nights and noticed on our next Seabourn 13 night cruise in December that there is only 1 Formal night scheduled. Is this correct and why the change. Are most people comfortable with this less formal dress code. It seems like such a shame to only have to dress up for one night and perhaps not worth packing even one long gown and tuxedo.

Your input and opinions would be greatly appreciated as it has been quite a while since I have been on Seabourn having mostly sailed Silversea which this same itinerary would have at least 3 Formal nights.

Thank You

Cindy

Cinbeach - I have been saying for a while, as have others, that it is not worth taking formal togs for one formal night, and it should be at least two. Or none.

I think most old SB fans (I don't mean age, just those who have cruised SB for some time) like formal nights, but SB are trying to attract a younger crowd, and this accounts for the less formal approach. I believe it may also depend on where you are cruising - in the Caribbean probably formal is less usual than other parts of the world.

On the upcoming Nov. Quest TA crossing our group has decided to add 2 more formal evenings as we enjoy formal nights. As the crossing is 13 days only 1 formal night was scheduled ~usually a TA has 3 formal evenings. During the voyage we'll decide which evenings we'd like to dine in formal wear.

Martita B.

It would appear that 90 % of people on Cruise Critic like formal nights, but as over 90% of passengers do not read cruise critic they will assume on the Quest T/A in November there is only ONE formal night and that is purely optional ,so they will not bother to bring formal wear.:D

It would appear that 90 % of people on Cruise Critic like formal nights, but as over 90% of passengers do not read cruise critic they will assume on the Quest T/A in November there is only ONE formal night and that is purely optional ,so they will not bother to bring formal wear.:D

Not necessarily. This subject has been debated for so long, and with so little illumination, that many ccers simply choose not to comment. What is certainly true is that it would appear that the older you are, the more likely you are to enjoy a formal night. It ahould be noted that anyone can dress in formal clothes whenever they wish, and as often as they wish. It is merely the mandate that has been removed with the word "optional." As my wife has often pointed out to me, no one becomes more intelligent or more charming by virtue of what they wear.

Just off the Quest and I saw about five tuxedos on the formal optional night and they were all older gentlemen. All the men looked great in sport jackets and ties. Many cocktail dresses for women but certainly no gowns. I'm afraid formal night is a thing of the past and my sense is that the great majority of passengers like it like that.

It's all about the sense of occasion. If you had an invitation to dinner at the White House or Buckingham Palace, would you turn up in a sports jacket and no tie ? Highly unlikely. A ball at the Grand Hotel Du Cap Ferrat? Of course not. In reality there are few queens on board, even fewer royals, and many many passengers, over the summer season, are on 7 day cruises - having a relaxing break. It isn't the stuff of formal evening wear. However, for those on a Grand world tour, a maiden voyage, sailing over the New Year, and so forth, a formal night or two certainly enhances the experience. Many people like to get dressed up. Perhaps it is an older generation thing now, but what goes round, comes round. When I was a young man in the late 1960s and early 1970s dressing up was fun and we all did it (although in a very unconventional way). I would look laughable now in my Carnaby Street floral jacket, velvet flares and frilly sleeved shirts, but I still like dressing up. Younger people in their 30s or 40s seem to have a pathological dislike for dressiness, but I expect things will change over the next few generations. I must say the casual, but smart (sometimes) jacketed but tie-less male country club meets Ralph Lauren look in all the Seabourn promo material is starting to look very boring and conventional and almost a dress code in itself. Social classlessness is a very good thing but a lack of classy style is not.

But my wife tells me in a suprised way that I actually manage to look rather attractive when togged out in my new white DJ ....

Well, I'm certainly not going to argue with your wife.However, I should point out that when the White House sends out an invitation it explicitly denotes the level of dress--black tie, or not. No options allowed. Even at the White House, if you see a male walking round wearing a tux, you can't be quite sure whether he is a guest or a waiter. You can only be certain when you are seated, and he is serving. On style--or perhaps costume-- there are myriad views and reactions. Every once and a while we go to a black tie dinner party. By the time the sorbet appears., the jackets are off, and by the time the dessert comes, ties have been loosened.What this proves I'm not sure, except perhaps that most of us are more comfotable in less formal clothes (maybe?) regardless of how we look to others.

On language: reading an English mystery --Bloodline, by Mark Billingham-- which includes this line. "...two girls from Midlands who were on the lash." Ever eager to improve my english--err, my knowledge of your version of our shared language--can you enlighten me as to the meaning of "lash"?

PS. If you like noir, Bloodline is a tension-filled read.

'On the lash' means going out to pubs and bars to get seriously drunk. Origins obscure, but thinking about it, I guess the term comes from the phrase 'lashing out' - meaning spending big and reckless (e.g. I lashed out $20000 on my last Seabourn cruise). There is also a phrase 'lashings of' meaning a more or less exuberant excess ( e.g. we had roast beef with yorkshire pudding and lashings of gravy). To go on the lash means to go out with the intention of consuming a lot of alcohol, regardless of cost.

However this has little to do with dress codes.

Well sorry to disgree with you about it being a thing of the past. On our August cruise there were two black tie nights and I would estimate that easily over half of the men had on tuxedos. A few sported white dinner jackets and most of the rest had on suits or dark sport coats with ties. There were only a few men in light sportcoats or sans ties and they did stand out. I wore a long gown one evening and a very dressy cocktail dress the other evening. While most women did not wear long gowns I was far from the only one wearing one.