If you booked a suite in the past

StingRaysfan

Did you end up at a table for 2 or 4 in the MDR???

Sounds like a dumb question maybe IDK. We like early dining and having the same server etc. On our last cruise DH and I were in an OS... I absolutely expected to be at a large table with different people to meet. Honestly though I was hoping and wishing for a table for two, and even thought about requesting one when we got on board, but didn't because I forgot with all the excitement of being on board and sail away.

Lo and behold we had a booth with just the two of us. My aunt, uncle and cousin had their own table and were in a suite on their cruise, and a couple we became friends with on our cruise were also in a suite and had their own table for two...

So if you were in a suite what's your experience with dinner seating??? Do you think it makes a difference when the Maitre'd makes the seating chart???

Not that I mind meeting new people, but I'm kinda introverted and dinner time is a time to unwind with the hubby... We're in an Ocean Suite again and I'm hoping we can duplicate our table for two (without causing a hassle for the maitre'd by requesting it)???

I never thought about that.. Makes me wonder too, our upcoming cruise we have a os with kids across hall I am sure we will sit together(lol) but i wonder if the other family we requested to have dinner with( they are in interior somewhere else) would still be seated with us?? I would think so we did request it right??

sorry I reall didt answer your ???... but it just made me think!!

I wouldn't have thought of it either if I didn't have all the comparisons with people I know...

Thats what I thought Kenmo... but I was doing some thinking on it and some math and wondering... figured I'd poll here to see if anyone has had a similar experience.

Before anytime dining we had an oceanview on Victory and had a table for two. On Sensation we had a suite and did not.

Like Ken said no rhyme or reason to it.

We now do anytime dining so we can have a table for two and if we like the wait staff we request them on subsequent nights.

Type of cabin has no bearing on MDR seating.

If I want something in particular, I just see the MD on embark day.

Is that how we get window seat?? and do you tip then to get it?? how much to tip to get what you ask for?

Ok.. not to change my original subject... (we can't change our dining to anytime now anyway)

but since this thread has some attention now....

We LOVE Carnival's MDR food. I haven't had a meal I didn't like. and everytime I read a review on here (balanced or not), if someone criticizes the MDR food I'm in shock. I'm obviously not a very good statistician given my original post... but it seems when there is criticism about the food being cold or the service being bad and the servers being understaffed, the reviewer did anytime dining. Thats one of the reasons we didn't book it this time.

I read a LOT and I don't post that much... so needless to say I look into this stuff a lot. Maybe too much. LOL

You don't tip the Maitre d' when you ask him for a specific table or any other favor. In fact, it is rude to do so. The appropriate time is to give him an envelope on the last night at dinner.

our last cruise was a cat 12 suite on the inspiration. was 3 of us. they gave a table for just the 3 of us/ one seat left open, so we invited a woman alone to come sit with us.. have to say the tables with 10-12 people looked like alot of fun

Is that how we get window seat?? and do you tip then to get it?? how much to tip to get what you ask for?

You can ask for a window seat. You may or may not get it...lots of pax want a window seat. LOL!

Besides, depending on the time of year and time you eat, it's dark or getting dark. Nothing to see.

If the MD helps you out, you can tip what you feel is right...in his envelope on the last night.

We were in a OS on our cruise last year on the Paradise. The first night in the MDR they sat us at a table for 4 with another couple. We were a little shocked by this (it was our first cruise, so we didn't realize that it was the norm). But, we made the best of it making conversation with the other couple. It was very apparent the other couple was extremely uncomfortable. Soon after they were seated the guy got up and the girl followed a few minutes later. We never saw them again. Every night after that they sat us just the two of us. Maybe it was to spare us the embarrassment of being ditched again.. lol ;)

You can ask for a window seat. You may or may not get it...lots of pax want a window seat. LOL!

Besides, depending on the time of year and time you eat, it's dark or getting dark. Nothing to see.

If the MD helps you out, you can tip what you feel is right...in his envelope on the last night.

Thanks..good to knowI didnt even think about the time we are dining( we have late dining) so i guess it doesnt really matter..lol

I never thought about that.. Makes me wonder too, our upcoming cruise we have a os with kids across hall I am sure we will sit together(lol) but i wonder if the other family we requested to have dinner with( they are in interior somewhere else) would still be seated with us?? I would think so we did request it right??

I don't think anyone answered your question yet. You have to request that your reservations be linked if you want to be seated together. We've done this on a couple of cruises with friends and never had a problem.

I don't think anyone answered your question yet. You have to request that your reservations be linked if you want to be seated together. We've done this on a couple of cruises with friends and never had a problem.

Thanks I believe we did do that... so we should be fine!

You don't tip the Maitre d' when you ask him for a specific table or any other favor. In fact, it is rude to do so.

Where is that written? We've cruised with large groups on our last couple of trips, and needed the help of the Maitre d' to keep us all together. On both occasions, after doing a great job of helping us, he did not seem offended by the token of my gratitude that I unobtrusively slipped to him.

Kevin C

Archived