First Regent Cruise, First TA

Hi:

We're two well-travelled 70-year olds that just had a WOW of a cruise on the TA from FL to Barcelona on the Mariner. It was our first cruise on Regent, my first TA, and my only cruise where I had more than 1 sea-day in a row. We liked it so much that we signed up for the 2012 TA from Monte Carlo to Rio.

I spent a year reading posts on Cruise Critic before the TA so I knew a lot but the cruise exceeded my high expectations. Another Thread gives a lot of details from others but I wanted to provide a "newbie's" perspective.

The ship's size and layout was terrific! I never felt crowded even though the boat was full.. I'm an exercise nut (recent heart attack) and loved the gym which had all the cardio and core equipment that I "needed." We liked the specialty restaurants but we think Compass Rose is as nicely decorated and the food as good. We had a great dinner at Verandah (French Bistro night) - we never would have eaten dinner at such a venue on any other of our cruises! Not a bad seat in the theater even for the popular shows. There were more activities than we could even think of doing.

The crew was delightful. They must hire only people with great smiles.

The thing that we enjoyed the most was our fellow travelers. We moved around and met a lot of them. I was told that about 500 of the 700 passangers had sailed before with Regent. Everyone (OK almost everone) was fun (the others were "interesting"). Time flew by.

Our next adventure is a river cruise in Russia. I hope that Regent hasn't spoiled us too much that we don't enjoy it. Have started dreaming about the 2012 TA.

Jim C

We live in Washington DC also and our first TA will be the Monte Carlo to Rio cruise. I think that will be our 13th Regent cruise. We were supposed to do a TA this November from Barcelona to FLL, but it was canceled. Interestingly, a number of our cruising friends are also doing a Russian River cruise this year. Perhaps we'll meet next year. In the interim, feel free to drop me a line at dreps@comcast.net.

Jim~ I hope you and Mary have a great time in Russia! Give us a wave when you are there because although I can't see Russia from my house I hear there are others here who can ;-)

ps working on the boys so that Myley and I can do the same TA. You might have to put up with us a second time.

Tonya

Jim,

What a great review! Thanks for taking the time to post your experiences. We are on our first Regent (Mariner) cruise in July, so it sounds like we will have a lovely time too!

Happy future cruising to you both.

Thanks!!:)

How nice to hear such a glowing report! We haven't done a TA yet, but I hope we will some day; so far we've only had 3 seadays at a time, max. I admit the MCC to Rio looks divine, we loved Rio when we were there on Voyager just over a year ago.

Wendy, we would love to see you on the MCC to Rio cruise. You would find the Mariner quite interesting:-)

Jim, thanks for taking the time to give us your thoughts.

How nice to hear such a glowing report! We haven't done a TA yet, but I hope we will some day; so far we've only had 3 seadays at a time, max. I admit the MCC to Rio looks divine, we loved Rio when we were there on Voyager just over a year ago.

I have always thought that TA stood for travel agent.. when used in this context it is not so.. what does it stand for .. PLEASE

We are two well-travelled Australians and are booked on the November 2012 Monte Carlo to Buenos Aires. After reading your report on your last trip we are looking forward even more to our first TA. We look forward to meeting you on the 2012 trip.:)

Hi:

We're two well-travelled 70-year olds that just had a WOW of a cruise on the TA from FL to Barcelona on the Mariner. It was our first cruise on Regent, my first TA, and my only cruise where I had more than 1 sea-day in a row. We liked it so much that we signed up for the 2012 TA from Monte Carlo to Rio.

I spent a year reading posts on Cruise Critic before the TA so I knew a lot but the cruise exceeded my high expectations. Another Thread gives a lot of details from others but I wanted to provide a "newbie's" perspective.

The ship's size and layout was terrific! I never felt crowded even though the boat was full.. I'm an exercise nut (recent heart attack) and loved the gym which had all the cardio and core equipment that I "needed." We liked the specialty restaurants but we think Compass Rose is as nicely decorated and the food as good. We had a great dinner at Verandah (French Bistro night) - we never would have eaten dinner at such a venue on any other of our cruises! Not a bad seat in the theater even for the popular shows. There were more activities than we could even think of doing.

The crew was delightful. They must hire only people with great smiles.

The thing that we enjoyed the most was our fellow travelers. We moved around and met a lot of them. I was told that about 500 of the 700 passangers had sailed before with Regent. Everyone (OK almost everone) was fun (the others were "interesting"). Time flew by.

Our next adventure is a river cruise in Russia. I hope that Regent hasn't spoiled us too much that we don't enjoy it. Have started dreaming about the 2012 TA.

Jim C

We live in Washington DC also and our first TA will be the Monte Carlo to Rio cruise. I think that will be our 13th Regent cruise. We were supposed to do a TA this November from Barcelona to FLL, but it was canceled. Interestingly, a number of our cruising friends are also doing a Russian River cruise this year. Perhaps we'll meet next year. In the interim, feel free to drop me a line at dreps@comcast.net.

We don't see you on the roll call for the Monte Carlo to Rio cruise at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1370804&page=2 . Please join the roll call. We, too, were on the cancelled TA, and haven't yet booked a replacement vacation. Maybe Hawaii.

As for the main post, we're certainly glad to see such a glowing review.

So glad you had such a great time, Jim C - and it whets my appetite since we will be doing the same cruise next year. I love ocean crossings, so many relaxing sea days with a chance to learn a lot about interesting subjects from the on-board lecturers! We have done several of these cruises and are at the point where for us, even on a port-intensive cruise, the "ship is the destination". We rarely go on shore and we create our own "sea days"!

Hope your Russian river cruise goes well. Friends of ours who have done that raved about it - but of course the amenities and cuisine on river boats isn't quite (normally anyway) at Regent standards!

Archived