Women Captains.

irishjim

Are there any women captains on any cruise lines and if not ,why not

I have never seen any on any cruise I have been on this also includes the

Navy?I know there are female pilots.Would you sail or fly with them,I would in a heartbeat:cool:

Jim.

I believe RCCL had a female Captain. There have been female ship commanders in the Navy, although none with the rank of Captain, that I have heard of. (Smaller naval vessels can have lower ranking officers in charge, although they are referred to as Captain, denoting one who is in charge of a ship.)

A family friend's daughter is a Captain on a cargo ship.

Edit: an Internet search found this interview with the RCCL Captain:

http://www.**************.com/royal-caribbean-international/22453-worlds-first-female-cruise-ship-captain.html

Oooops- that is a competing Cruise board.

Here is a story on the first US female ship's Captain:

http://www.usatoday.com/life/people/2009-03-06-mollykool-obit_N.htm

I have been on many flights with all female crews and it never bothered me. They must meet the same qualifications as a man and probably even more so. I personally know a few female airline pilots who fly the huge jets and I would feel perfectly safe on any of their flights. Men are now flight attendants--does that make anyone not want to be served on a flight by them?

Diane

HAL has some women navigation officers. One hopes they will progress through the ranks and if qualified, they will eventually be Master. If not qualified, they, of course, should not be promoted forward.

I can't imagine there is a glass ceiling in the cruise industry :rolleyes:.... after all they have ONE master of a vessel who appears to be qualified...clearly among the female population there just isn't anymore women worthy of promotion.... Holy Moly:rolleyes:

In all fairness, do we have any idea how many women actually went to any of the Navigation Colleges? Do we know how many even applied?

I don't have a clue the answer. Does anyone know if there are actually many women interested in the position?

I've had a female Captain on a regional airline flight. It didn't feel any different than one commanded by a man. In 1993 Lieutenant Colonel Eileen Collins became the first woman NASA Shuttle commander, and in 2007 Colonel Pamela Melroy became the second.

It was just two years ago that HAL named Marcella Himmelrich to be HM on the Oosterdam, and I am sure one day there will be a woman HAL Master. That would be fine by me. :)

In all fairness, do we have any idea how many women actually went to any of the Navigation Colleges? Do we know how many even applied?

I don't have a clue the answer. Does anyone know if there are actually many women interested in the position?

I have no idea but I am thinking more than " ONE ".

I have no idea but I am thinking more than " ONE ".

I am ALL for equality and would never dream of a qualified person no matter their gender, race etc not getting the job they've earned but I truly wouldn't begin to guess how many women have actually sought (or are currently seeking) to be Master of a cruise ship. It is just not something in my sphere of knowledge. I have no clue if more than one successfully completed Navigation College.

I do know HAL has some female navigation officers so I can't say anything about them not affording that career path.

Royal Caribbean has one female captain and I believe Seabourn also has one. Jtl513 beat me to the punch on Eileen Collins who commanded the fist Space Shuttle mission after the Columbia accident.

RCI actually has two female captains; here's one:

femalecaptainnews.jpg

Capt. Karin Stahre Janson (Sweden) - Monarch of the Seas

And here's the second! More power to these two ladies!

captnliz.jpg

Capt. Lis Lauritzen (Denmark) - Jewel of the Seas

RCI actually has two female captains; here's one:

femalecaptainnews.jpg

Capt. Karin Stahre Janson (Sweden) - Monarch of the Seas

And here's the second! More power to these two ladies!

captnliz.jpg

Capt. Lis Lauritzen (Denmark) - Jewel of the Seas

It would seem ladies like to become Captains of cruise vessels after all.:)

I am ALL for equality and would never dream of a qualified person no matter their gender, race etc not getting the job they've earned but I truly wouldn't begin to guess how many women have actually sought (or are currently seeking) to be Master of a cruise ship. It is just not something in my sphere of knowledge. I have no clue if more than one successfully completed Navigation College.

I do know HAL has some female navigation officers so I can't say anything about them not affording that career path.

COLLEYBERRY::

It would seem ladies like to become Captains of cruise vessels after all.

Interesting thread. My 'sphere of knowledge' has been enriched. Thanks, Copper. :)

Are there any women captains on any cruise lines and if not ,why not

I have never seen any on any cruise I have been on this also includes the

Navy?I know there are female pilots.Would you sail or fly with them,I would in a heartbeat:cool:

Jim.

Royal Carribean's Monarch of the Seas had a female Captain 2 years ago. I think she said there were a total of 2.

My 2 cents worth on this subject:

In the US, there are 7 Merchant Marine academies:

Maine Maritime Academy, (my alma mater),

Massachusetts Maritime Academy,

New York Maritime Academy,

Texas Maritime Academy,

California Maritime Academy,

Great Lakes Maritime Academy, (Michigan),

and King's Point.

King's Point is the federal maritime academy and cadets are taken by appointment of their state representatives or senators. The others are state academies with more open enrollment.

Maine Maritime Academy graduated the first female officer in 1973, (there about, I don't remember the exact year.)

Since that first, all of the academies have graduated a number of women, both as deck officers and engineers. Sticking with the deck side, there are any number of female Captains in the US Merchant Marine.

Of course, this discussion really pertains to women in the foreign Merchant Marine industry since the vast majority of cruise ships are foreign flag ships.

Assuming that women have been entering foreign Merchant Marine academies on a par similar to the US, there should be a solid representation of female officers on the high seas, both as deck officers and engineers.

From my perspective, if each cruise line had one or two female Captains, that would seem to be a proper ratio to the Merchant Marine industry as a whole. The Merchant Marine industry is not for everyone. The attrition rate at Merchant Marine academies is high, with as many male drop outs as female drop outs. These academies are difficult and demanding to get through and rightly so. Once one has successfully graduated an academy, they will find any number of opportunities in the industry, from deep sea shipping to piloting in specific waters, to opportunities ashore. A lot of officers, male and female, will stay at sea long enough to raise their license to Captain and then move on to pursue careers as pilots, etc, which allow them to command a high salary as well as remain in one area.

As a whole, there are definitely women at all levels in the Merchant Marine industry, including Captains. Hopefully, there will be even more female cruise ship Captains...and hopefully I will be able to shake the hand of one some day soon! ;);)

Last year Copper10-8, posted a message that Catherine Williams had been appointed as chief officer on the Veendam.

During our trans pacific crossing September/October, Catherine was working on board the Volendam. We spoke with her on several occasions, when asked , she told DH that it would take about 8 years to gain the rank of Captain.

I've had a female Captain on a regional airline flight. It didn't feel any different than one commanded by a man. In 1993 Lieutenant Colonel Eileen Collins became the first woman NASA Shuttle commander, and in 2007 Colonel Pamela Melroy became the second.

It was just two years ago that HAL named Marcella Himmelrich to be HM on the Oosterdam, and I am sure one day there will be a woman HAL Master. That would be fine by me. :)

Well, well, well. Lucky us. We got her just as she came on board. the very BEST Hotel Manager I have ever seen. She was extremely client oriented and very good. We were very impressed with her.

So impressed in fact, that we made a note on her survey about her.

Not often I name a hotel manager in a survey;) If she is still on the Oesterdam, that is probably one of the reasons why it's getting the rave reviews. :D

Archived