That WILD and CRAZY upsell fairy!

StingRaysfan

I also have never had an up sell call, I was just wondering has anyone ever gotten on board knowing there were many cabins available and asked for a free upgrade! What happened? We are cruising on June 23 and there are maybe 70 cabins still available, what are our chances. :p

I would say slim to none as they will have a sell online or something and those rooms will be sold by the time you sail

• 1 month later...

We are sailing on the Legend, June 19th - originally we had booked an extended balcony for hubby and I, and an inside for daughter and friend. We then upgraded our cabin to an Ocean Suite and left the girls where they were. On Thursday I happened to be home for the day when the phone rang - upsell fairy - he offered us a grand suite for $800 - we took it - you see we have been in turmoil since January - my dad took ill and consequently passed on March 6th - and my mother had to go to a nursing home because her Alzheimer's was just off the wall. It's been stressful and almost unbelievable as to what we have been through for the last 5 months. When fairy called, I said yes, I wanted to thank hubby for ALL of his wonderful support and understanding - we need to be pampered and have always wanted a grand suite but would never spend the money - so Carnival offered me the ultimate surprise for my hubby - couldn't have come at a better time.

I was just wondering has anyone ever gotten on board knowing there were many cabins available and asked for a free upgrade!
Doesn't happen. Carnival sails full.

I had been on 19 CCL cruises before I got my first call in '09. It was for the Owner's Suite on the Ecstasy for NYE. They wanted an add'l. $1000. We decided against it since it was just a 4 day cruise. Had it been a 7 dayer - I would have snatched it up just to get the opportunity to stay in the Owner's Suite. I received another call in 6 months and we took the deal from balcony cabin to Junior Suite for an additional $200 on the Conquest. I am now (patiently waiting) for my third call, since I have the Dream booked for 7/2. hahaha. I'm not holding my breath; but I'm liking the pattern.

We have the PVP place a note on the reservation to NOT call. We book specific cabins for a reason, so please do not waste my time.

Our first cruise was back in August and we got the upsell call 3 days before we sailed. We didn't take it because we had a certain budget set out for the vacation and it would have eaten too much into our funds. We are 10 days out now and still haven't had a call. DH and I have been talking about the fairy this week, wondering if we will get a call.

My Alaska cruise they called about six weeks out. We went from an Aft-Balcony to a GS. My parents did the same and got the one next door. Two other cruises they called a few weeks out. One for the Owner's Suite on the Fascination. We were in an Extended Balcony GS and turned it down flat. The other was our Miracle cruise in October. They offered us the GS, but we were in the Deck 4 VS Suite. Not a chance I was taking that one!

Do you book through Carnival/PVP or TA?

Do you book through Carnival/PVP or TA?

I mainly book directly through Carnival. I don't mess with a PVP and just talk to whoever answers. I have done a couple with a TA who is a friend of mine. The upsell calls all came from cabins I booked on my own.

We are sailing on the Legend, June 19th - originally we had booked an extended balcony for hubby and I, and an inside for daughter and friend. We then upgraded our cabin to an Ocean Suite and left the girls where they were. On Thursday I happened to be home for the day when the phone rang - upsell fairy - he offered us a grand suite for $800 - we took it - you see we have been in turmoil since January - my dad took ill and consequently passed on March 6th - and my mother had to go to a nursing home because her Alzheimer's was just off the wall. It's been stressful and almost unbelievable as to what we have been through for the last 5 months. When fairy called, I said yes, I wanted to thank hubby for ALL of his wonderful support and understanding - we need to be pampered and have always wanted a grand suite but would never spend the money - so Carnival offered me the ultimate surprise for my hubby - couldn't have come at a better time.

I just wanted you to know that, although we obviously don't know each other, i will be praying for your and your family. This Jan my mother, of whom i am very close to, was diagnose with a very severe form of stage four brain cancer, the prognosis by the doctors were not good. Since then she has undergone brain surgery which competely removed the tumor, and she went through her chemotherapy and radiation therapy very well. However, from january to about a month ago , she was living with me and my wife full time. My wife took a leave of abscence form work so she could take care of mom full time, what a blessing. Does this have anything to do with the upsell fairy? No. But...I've been on this forum longer than i have been married, and i feel that we are all connected through our passion for cruising, and sometimes other things connect us. You and your family, including your mother, will be in our thoughts and prayers.

And to answer the OP...never had a call, never had an offer, always sailed in what we booked. Oh well...luckily we are not picky. Lol

since I booked with a TA will the call have to come from my TA? If so I can forget it :cool:

If I see something better on the Carnival site and want to actually pay to move up without the call would they let me?

Sailing on the Spirit to Alaska next week in a regular balcony on the Panorama deck. Got the call yesterday asking if we wanted a GS for $400 pp. We declined and from what I can tell our sailing looks pretty full but I'm happy with where we're at.

I mainly book directly through Carnival. I don't mess with a PVP and just talk to whoever answers. I have done a couple with a TA who is a friend of mine. The upsell calls all came from cabins I booked on my own.

That's amazing :)

I've never gotten that call...yet.

There's always hope. :D

It's really rough when you are left to take care of parents - God Bless... my mom seems to be perfectly content in her own little world - although most of the times she doesn't know me, I know she is not in pain, and is not grieving the passing of my dad - I look at this as a blessing as they were together 60 years, they married when she was 15.

We are looking forward to our cruise with much anticipation, I know mom is safe and all of the nursing home staff tell us to GO - enjoy ourselves, and we shall...

We sail May 22, four in a balcony room. Up sell man called yesterday May 18th. They offered us a suite for $1000.00 MORE!!!! No thanks!!!!!!

Up sell man said he was targeting parties of four or more! This will be the second cruise for three of us and 1st for one.

Called 3 times in about 10 sailing on ccl, about 4 weeks out. We always book a balcony on lido, been offered a suite but never a good deal.. to me anyway.

Never understood the term “ upsell fairy”..

It like going in to buy a new auto, you settle on the vehicle, the color , the options and the price.

Then you go to the “business manager” who will try to sell you anything or everything he can.

“ oh goodie , I get to hear someone sales pitch!”

Nothing “fairy” about it… to me anyway

We went on our first Carnival cruise last summer (7 night Southern Caribbean on the Victory). We got a call from the upsell fairy 2 days before our cruise (it left from Puerto Rico and we were already there). We had an inside room on a low level and got upgraded to a balcony on the Panorama deck for $300. I have no idea why they called us, but we are glad they did! The only downfall is that we are now hooked on balconies, and had to have one for our upcoming cruise on the Legend!

We sail May 22, four in a balcony room. Up sell man called yesterday May 18th. They offered us a suite for $1000.00 MORE!!!! No thanks!!!!!!

Up sell man said he was targeting parties of four or more! This will be the second cruise for three of us and 1st for one.

$250 per person doesn't seem bad to go to a suite, depending on how your booked balcony room is configured. On a 7 night cruise, it's $35/day. OR did you mean $1k per person? That would be too obnoxious.

Archived