Celebrity Kids Program

cruisebunny32

Was wondering if anyone could let us know their experiences with the kids program on the fall NE/Canada cruise on the Constellation. We are debating on taking our 6 y/o and 2 1/2 year old with us on the cruise this October. Our guess is that there are not too many kids on board.

this thread is still going on! I am so glad that everyone has such great things to say about the programs on all of the celebrity ships. I have heard the comparison of Disney as well! I also had a friend go on Norweigen this past fall, and they had the kids in an inside cabin! That is just insane. Anyways....keep it going!

We just returned from a cruise on the Zenith two weeks ago with our 5 year old son. He absolutely LOVED the children's program. He quickly made friends with another 5 year old boy and two 4 year olds and they all played together nicely.

The Children's Room is located at the very rear of the ship on the 5th deck (European deck). It was not a very large room compared to what I saw posted for other ships but it was adequate. They had air hockey, a small pool table, video games, a TV/DVD player for movies, small tables and chairs for arts and crafts, and coloring etc. They also had mats and pillows if the children got tired during the pajama party (from 10pm to 1am).

The children had dinner at the Windsurf Cafe. I signed my son into the dinner program 3 nights and he ate with us in the formal dining room 4 nights. Children's dinners were 1) pizza 2) chicken nuggets 3)grilled cheese. They also had fruit and served snacks around 9 pm of fruit or brownies or ice cream.

The activities were things like Treasure Hunts, playing pirate or alien. They had a Sponge Bob night too. They got T-shirts and made pirate hats and swords and got their faces painted. On the nights he ate with the kids we would check in to ask if he wanted to come with us and he never did so we signed him into the pajama party and then we were free to go to the shows. This was an enormous treat for us as we don't usually do this at home. The staff will ask you where you are headed in case they need to contact you.

My son is used to being with adults and on the nights he ate with us in the dining room he did very well (aside from the usual 5 year old squirmming :) ) They did offer a children's menu in the dinning room for dinner and the waiters were wonderful with him. They brought him special desserts, did magic tricks for him, and made him animals out of dinner napkins. We had a great group at our table and they doted on my son too.

We did not sign him into the program on shore days as we wanted him to see Bermuda with us. We went to the beach, the Acquarium and zoo and took horse and buggy rides in both Hamilton and St. George and did some shopping.

I had not been on a cruise for over 20 years (I actually met my husband on that cruise :D ) and I did not know what to expect as far as children go. I found it to be a wonderful family vacation. Perfect. There was something for everyone and everyone left happy. In fact, my son announced that he wanted to stay on the ship for another 80 years!! Mom kinda felt the same way :D .

What kind of stuff is on the children's menu?

We are trying to encourage our children to try new things, they are 7 & 9. So we thought we would have them order what ever they like at breakfast and lunch. At dinner we would like them to look at the full menun, and then if they absolutely can't find any thing they like, then go to the children's menu.

Just curious if the children's menu is the usual grill cheese, hamburgers and chicken nuggets or if they get a little fancier.

My son at 5 years old is a pretty good eater and we encourage him to experiment.

The first night we stuck with the familiar "hot dog" and fries but on other nights he had the salmon which he loved, an upscale Macaroni and cheese, and a pork cutlet. He tried all the soups and loved the asparagus soup the best (I admit we told him it was turtle soup...it was green :D ). They also had fruit cups and salads on the menu for kids. My son loves fruit so that was an easy appetizer. He had vanilla ice cream for dessert most nights (with sprinkles of course ;) )

Were the salmon, pork cutlet and soup off the kids or regular menu.

It all sound wonderful. I think the nice thing about the cruise is that if a child is willingto try new things there is no pressure or them to eat it if they don't care for it, they can just order something else instead.

On our recent cruise aboard Summit in Alaska, Michael, our fantastic waiter brought my son and daughter (ages 13 and 10 respectively) both the children's and regular menus at dinner. They were able to mix & match from both menus in crafting their dinner courses.

We encouraged the children to try new things, and they really enjoyed the soups, beef and fish choices. My daughter also tried a number of new salad dressings.

For breakfast we usually just did the breakfast buffet - they loved the omelets and made to order waffles. Also the fruit choices were great!

My son cruised on Zenith and Century when he was about 8 and 9. He had a great time and loved the fun factory. I thought the fun factory was nicer and more elaborate on the Century. He's cruised on Carnival and Royal Caribbean and loves all the cruise lines. He was definitely more pampered on Century; he was treated like a little prince. When I press him on his favorite cruise line he really doesnt have a preference. I think it depends on what friends he makes on the cruise. I can't imagine any kid not loving a cruise. It took me forty years before my first cruise and he's 11 and has been on 6.

Choirmom and others that have been on the Summit Alaska, how is the Kids program for that cruise? Our sail date is next week, and we're going with a 9 3/4 year old :) and a 15 year old. I don't think the 15yo will want to participate in it much, but I know the 10yr will want to.

Can anyone let me know more about the Kids program on Summit Alaska cruise? Feel free to be as detailed as possible.

This is my first post and this is a great thread.

Thanks,

mogirl

Can anyone tell me about the Celebrity European cruise programs for kids. I've heard they're loaded with "older folks". So much so, we actually cancelled our trip with our 8 year old daughter for this summer on the Millie to the Med. until we found out more info. On the other hand, we heard that in the summer months, the Celebrity European cruise ships are loaded with kids. What's the real story???

Thanks.

We sailed on the 14 night cruise to the Norwegian Fjords last summer on the constellation. Took our then 9 yr. old and 5 yr. old with us. Both absolutely loved the kids program. In fact, they were mad at us for actually booking them to go on tours with us, they would have preferred to participate in the kid's program instead. They also chose to eat with the fun factory group for most dinners once they discovered that option. My 10 yr. old is harder to please and he too, loved the fun factory activities and I was sure he would be bored. There were plenty of kids on that ship, it was summer and so lots of 40ish parents with kids. It was a great cruise and I wouldn't hesitate to do another with the kids. Hope that helped!

• 2 weeks later...

Bravjd - we are currently booked on the Grand Princess for Xmas but are re-thinking that one. So, I have reservations on hold now for the Constellation at Xmas as few triples pop up and I grabbed one when I could Did you make your decision? Mine is based on whether or not my then 12 year old will enjoy himself. We're leaning this way and I have to put down a deposit by midnight tomorrow or risk losing my triple.

travellady,

as you know from my post on your other thread we cruised with our 14 year old - he makes friends easily but still checks out the youth programs on every cruise we have ever taken - he absolutely loved what Celebrity did - met lots of kids and had a blast

MamaQuack

We just cruised on the Millie in the Med last month and there was a broad age range on kids on board. Most of the cruisers were American with representation for many other parts of the world. This was our 3rd Celebrity cruise and my 8 year old daughter loved the kids program. Good feedback on Century and the Mercury too. With the Med itinerary, most families are off the ship exploring during the days, so I think the area was pretty quiet then. But once we were back on the ship my daughter rushed to see all of her new friends in the club. We have always included her in our regular dinner seating and order off the regular menu. Dressing up on formal nights is always much anticipated. I think that kids need to have time to be kids, but also need to be exposed to regular dinners. My daughter has always enjoyed the dinners and Celebrity is good at matching up table mates. Though this time, the youngest at our table was 16, our daughter participated in the conversations and had an older "kid" to look up to. The Celebrity counselors did a great job and got to know the kids and their parents quickly. You can go in a check up on your child at any time. The muster station bands are issued at boarding and required for all children under the age of 12. When signed in at the Fun Factory, the kids receive a wrist band for the age group they are in. We're on Princess for our next cruise and I'm anxious to see if their program is as good as Celebrity's.

You are right Gaile, kids need to be kids sometimes and work off all their energy with their peers. But it's also nice to expose them to other things and my 5 year old has learned good manners and how to be polite by dining with us in nice restaruants and while on the cruise he dined with us a few nights in the main dining room. I think a Celebrity cruise offers just the right balance of both. :)

Ok, I have a question. I'm on Millie in the Med next summer with my kids (6, 10, 12) as well as my siblings and their spouses that don't have kids. We've booked late seating dinner as that's the preference of my sibs. I'm very happy to oblige and will figure out how to handle the kids once onboard. They may very well want to join us at that late time, but I'm curious as to my options. Perhaps someone has already figured this out.

I notice some have mentioned kids dinner, but that's at 6pm. Does that run late as well? I guess I'm asking for comments from anyone who has brought kids on Celebrity and chose late seating. Thanks in advance.

If you are worried they will be too tired to wait or too hungry you can always order room service earlier for them. Or get sushi or go to the casual restauarant and let them pick from the buffet. But, they may surprise you and want to make the late seating. We had late seating in April and there were many kids there, but it was in the Carribean and no jet lag/time change had to be factored in. I will say this, at least from our experience with our son, once they make friends in the youth group they cannot wait to get away from you and go to the nightly activities.

Ok, I have a question. I'm on Millie in the Med next summer with my kids (6, 10, 12) as well as my siblings and their spouses that don't have kids. We've booked late seating dinner as that's the preference of my sibs. I'm very happy to oblige and will figure out how to handle the kids once onboard. They may very well want to join us at that late time, but I'm curious as to my options. Perhaps someone has already figured this out.

I notice some have mentioned kids dinner, but that's at 6pm. Does that run late as well? I guess I'm asking for comments from anyone who has brought kids on Celebrity and chose late seating. Thanks in advance.

Hi RickYak - My DW started this thread back in March, and I can tell you that our son (4 at the time) ate with us every night at late seating and we had no problems at all. He did have dinner one night with the Kids Program while DW and I went to Ocean Liners. I think we paid $6 and hour (don't quote me on that fee), and it was only for two hours. He could have stayed later, but by the time we got back he was the only one left and we figured we would give the counselors a break/early night. He had a blast. He passed up beach time, and he loves the beach and ocean, to be with his new friends in the Fun Factory. We always take late seating, and we even have a little tux for our son. We are going back on the Constellation in March, and he can't wait to get back to the Fun Factory.

Thanks for the replies. I think the real beauty here is that the options are there and they can do what they choose. I will encourage them to do exactly that. It's their vacation too.

Parrothead: where's Deptford? I'm in Bergen County.