Help!!! Sea legs still hanging around 6 days later, Will this feeling pass ever?!

seahowIrun

I have had this for 11 days now and it's driving me crazy. Big time anxiety that I have MdDS. I was wondering if the OP has gotten any better? I'm a 28 year old male and this was my first cruise. I've been to the doctor and taken all the normal sea sick remedies. I did use the scop patch while I was on board and had zero problems until about 8 hours after I got off the ship. 4 days of fun seems like a steep price to pay for my sanity after. Any updates on this that could give me some peace of mind would be awesome!

I have found that anxiety about it makes things worse. Continue taking meclizine or bonine (same thing) for a few more days. If that doesn't work, see the doctor- as you can see from other posts in this thread, it could be an inner ear problem.

The longest I had this was about 7-10 days after a short 3 day cruise. The seas were very rocky, however, which is probably why it lasted so long. My last cruise was 5 days, but the seas were so flat that I didn't have any problems afterwards.

I have found that anxiety about it makes things worse. Continue taking meclizine or bonine (same thing) for a few more days. If that doesn't work, see the doctor- as you can see from other posts in this thread, it could be an inner ear problem.

The longest I had this was about 7-10 days after a short 3 day cruise. The seas were very rocky, however, which is probably why it lasted so long. My last cruise was 5 days, but the seas were so flat that I didn't have any problems afterwards.

Don't let it get you down, I promise it will pass in a couple more days, sometimes I have it for up to 7-8 days after returning.

Mimgan

Guys thank you for the quick replies! I have been to the doctor twice. The first time he prescribed antivert which I took for a few days, but it just made me drowsy with no real positive effect so I stopped taking it. He also gave me these exercises to do with head movement but those have had no real effect either. The second time he gave me some nose spray and a decongestant to see if maybe I had something going on there, but it has not helped. I just made an appt. for the ear nose throat doctor, but wont be able to get in until Jan 3rd. I don't feel the sensation as much when I'm sitting still or laying down. I feel it most when walking or standing, especially in the shower. It's definitely not as bad as it could be, but it's something I can always notice and it never leaves my mind. It's just a feeling that my balance is slightly off. I know you guys say it is normal, but it seems that most people are better within a week and I'm on day 12 now. Just really having a lot of anxiety about it to the point where its hard to sleep or relax. I just read these horror stories of people living with it permanently and I'm in disbelief. I apologize for the long post, just hoping I'm not alone. Thanks for any insight.

Guys thank you for the quick replies! I have been to the doctor twice. The first time he prescribed antivert which I took for a few days, but it just made me drowsy with no real positive effect so I stopped taking it. He also gave me these exercises to do with head movement but those have had no real effect either. The second time he gave me some nose spray and a decongestant to see if maybe I had something going on there, but it has not helped. I just made an appt. for the ear nose throat doctor, but wont be able to get in until Jan 3rd. I don't feel the sensation as much when I'm sitting still or laying down. I feel it most when walking or standing, especially in the shower. It's definitely not as bad as it could be, but it's something I can always notice and it never leaves my mind. It's just a feeling that my balance is slightly off. I know you guys say it is normal, but it seems that most people are better within a week and I'm on day 12 now. Just really having a lot of anxiety about it to the point where its hard to sleep or relax. I just read these horror stories of people living with it permanently and I'm in disbelief. I apologize for the long post, just hoping I'm not alone. Thanks for any insight.

The fact that it's subsiding means it is getting better and it *will* go away. Again, try to relax as much as you can as I have found anxiety makes vertigo worse (I have had other types of vertigo which makes me very susceptible to these types of things.) Anxiety can set it off all over again or make it worse.

Wow. Had no idea this could be so troublesome for so long! The first morning of my first cruise I couldn't understand why I felt so woosy - I didn't think I had drank THAT much :) Later cruises I used an acupressure wristband (don't like the drugs, too sleepy with them plus the rocking) no problems. This last cruise I didn't feel woosy at all on the ship and didn't use anything, but now for a few days afterward I have. Glad to find out I am not too weird.

the good side to post cruise wobblies is that you can lie in bed at night and be rocked

to sleep just like on the ship. I remember after my first cruise suddenly having to brace

myself in the shower, not having a clue why it was moving. I thought we were having

an earthquake till I mentioned it to my husband and he laughed his head off.

It will pass, but try the decongestant route or a little Bonine...

Thanks for the support guys. I'm on day 13 now and I still have the off balance sensation. It hasn't really seemed to get better at all. I've tried decongestant, I'm on clarinex right now and every other remedy mentioned on these boards. I go up and down with my positivity quite frequently throughout the day. Sometimes in the evening I will feel as if it's subsiding slightly only to wake up with the same symptoms all over again. I'm wondering if anyone out there has experienced this for this long and if so, did it ever go away?

Here is a very recent thread on the same subject.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=28887617#post28887617

I posted in this thread as well. I have had it last anywhere from 3 days to 3 months. There is no finite time line as it varies greatly from person to person. Like the poster above stated, if it remains bothersome, see your doctor. But please, don't worry yourself silly over it. More than likely, it will continue to lessen until it is gone completely.

Above is someone who has had it up to 3 months before. I think it's extremely rare for it to last indefinitely.

Archived