Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sammynobrains

Casa de Campo - Catalina Island Shore Excursion

We took this shore excursion with Celebrity last month, and thoroughly enjoyed it. It was $24pp.

We walked a short distance down the pier and boarded a ferry that probably held 100-150 people. We sat and waited quite a while for everyone to board. The ferry ride was about 45-50 minutes.

When they dropped us off, they said to be back on the ferry at 5pm. It gave us about 3 hours at the beach. We were greeted on the dock by Dominican dancers in traditional dress, and were offered a free pina colada or rum punch, virgin or fully loaded.

There were plenty of beach attendants available to set up beach chairs (free) and to bring drinks (not free). Someone said that the people who ran the ferry had a cooler with free soft drinks and water, but we just played lazy paid $2 for each water/soft drink.

There was already two ferries there from the Costa cruise ship, so the beach was crowded. But it was beautiful nonetheless. The further you walked, the less crowded it was.

There was a pavilion with loud music and a P.A. system; whatever they were doing sounded like fun, but it was our first day on the cruise, and we in relaxation mode, so we didn't stray too far from our lounge chairs. The vendors were pretty aggressive if you ventured towards their huts (and one even approached me on the beach to visit his hut), but otherwise, they left you alone. The rest rooms were close to the dock, up a bunch of stairs. There was no food service, so be sure to eat before you go. I think the excursion from Costa included lunch, but it looked like they were cleaning up by the time we arrived.

We did venture from our lounges to do some snorkeling. It was suprisingly good over by the cliff. As you're coming off the dock, look to the right, and you'll see where I mean. When we first got in the water, visibility was poor, and there was a lot of debris in the water, but once you swim out past the floating platform, the snorkeling was quite good.

Our one problem with the excursion was timing. We got back on the ferry at 5pm, and it was 5:50 by the time we were back on the ship. We had early seating dinner at 6:00 pm, and it was a mad rush to get showered and changed for dinner. :( This is not a private island with tenders every few minutes. There is only one ferry there and one ferry back.

Other than that, it was a terrific day. Our tablemates were all disappointed with this port, so I'm glad we took this excursion and made the right choice. I highly recommend this excursion.