arizona memorial uss missouri

hvm57

We have booked a excursion to the arizona memorial and the uss missouri and we have some questions. We are form The Netherlands so we don't know "the drill" there.

What is the best way to visit? By excursion or on our own with a taxi?

I read that you can't have handbags, camerabags etc. inside the memorial. What about only your videocamera? Or are there lockers?

Thankx for answerring. I hope my English is good enough.

We have booked a excursion to the arizona memorial and the uss missouri and we have some questions. We are form The Netherlands so we don't know "the drill" there.

What is the best way to visit? By excursion or on our own with a taxi?

I read that you can't have handbags, camerabags etc. inside the memorial. What about only your videocamera? Or are there lockers?

Thankx for answerring. I hope my English is good enough.

Whether you choose to go with an excursion company or by yourself it really doesn't matter. Either way is done very easily. Depending on where you will be coming from as to whether taking a taxi will be worth your money or not. You do want to be there as early as possible to get your tickets as they are on a 1st come, 1st serve basis. The later you come not only will you have to wait around longer before you can take the shuttle to the memorial but you also take the chance of them running out of tickets.

You can take in cameras but not the cases with them. I've read previously that there are lockers but I did not have a need for one so I didn't pay attention to whether they had them or not.

BTW your English was perfect!:)

Your English is wonderful - very clear and easy to understand.:)

When I was doing my initial planning (about a year ago) we though we would be staying in Waikiki and not have a rental car. For us, I thought that taking a tour through Robert's Tours was the easiest way to go. I have heard very good reviews about their longer Stars & Stripes Tour, especially. Hotel Pick up and drop off and the ability to leave personal possessions on a secured bus felt good to me.

Since then we changed our plans to stay at Turtle Bay Resort on the North Shore and will have a rental car, so we will do Pearl Harbor on our own. We leave in less than 5 days. I will report how it goes when we return!

We took a tour with Robert's - the Stars and Stripes tour. It was a good day.

I remember seeing lockers or a place to leave your gear that was on the right hand side of the entrance as you were heading in to Pearl Harbour.

Yes, there is a place where you leave your things, I don't know if they were lockers or not, I can't remember. I gave them my purse, without my money or credit cards, anything valuable I took out and put in my pants pocket. But they only have room for so much, so if it is full, I don't know what happens. But as people retrieve their belongings, that frees up space.

• 2 weeks later...

We did the Roberts tour (gorabbitgo) it was around $35 pp. We did it in the middle of our b2b and had the driver drop us off near Iolani Palace which is within walking distance of the cruise pier.

But as someone mentioned it's a good way to secure your belongings and luggage if you decide to do the tour on disembarkation day.

Did the tour on our own and am cruising in Oct and again expect to do tour on own,. We will take a taxi from the cruise pier to Pearl Harbor and get there as early as possible. After the tour we will hop the bus to Waikiki, a nice trip and you get to see some of Oahu, where we will meet up with the rest of our people. There are lockers to put your stuff in, snack bars, etc. The Missouri is at the same place if you want to visit that also.

• 2 weeks later...

You can catch the local public bus a couple of blocks from the Aloha Tower, which will take you to the Pearl Harbor Memorial site. It's about one block from the bus stop to the gate. Two bus lines will get you there, the 42 line and one other. The 42 is a "local" bus, stopping often; while the other is more direct. http://www.thebus.org/

The Arizona Memorial tour is free, first come first served. Unless it's a special weekend, such as Memorial Day, there is no problem getting a time. It might be an hour or two wait. The movie, shuttle boat and walk onto the memorial takes about an hour total.

There are charges for going on the rest of the venues (Bowfin, USS Missouri, and Air Museum). We did the Bowfin, Arizona and Air Museum using the bus. We much have left the Golden Princess around 9:00 or 9:30 AM, round trip on the bus, the above tours, returning back to the Golden about 3:45 PM or so. Tiring day. If you are a senior (65+) the bus is $1 each way.........have your ID because they actually check it.

http://www.pearlharbormemorial.com/?...FRRigwodzWwBtA

Our personal feelings about the various venues are that the Arizona was OK, but we wouldn't do it again. We (particulary I) enjoyed the Bowfin, which is located right at the Arizona theater/main gate site.......i.e. no bus or boat ride. The Air Museum was not all the great for me, as I've been to much more interesting ones elsewhere. We did not do the Missouri as I've been given a private tour if its sister ship New Jersey in the past. Trying to do all of the venues on one day would not be enjoyable, although many people try to do it.

We returned a couple of weeks ago from our cruise and 4 night (total) stay in Oahu. On day 2 of our pre-cruise stay we went to Pearl Harbor. We saw the Arizona Memorial, the Bowfin and the Missouri. We went on our own since we had a rental car. We stayed on the North Shore pre-cruise. I had unexpected surgery twice about three weeks before we left, so I was a bit handicapped from that. However we had an enjoyable day. I wrote an extensive review of our entire trip (it is still in progress). If you would like to learn more about our day at Pearl Harbor only go to Post #20 for that part of the review.

One correction to the above post is that there is no charge for the Pacific Aviation Museum. The poster was correct that there is a charge for the Bowfin and the Missouri.

Mahalo.

Archived