Spirit 2/27/05 Review: Day Five

cruisingfromMN

Day Five: Our last day at sea finds us so completely relaxed and rested. We know the reality of “real life” is quickly approaching and that our time on the lovely Spirit is coming to an end. Both of us are feeling a bit melancholy but we are determined to enjoy every minute of our last full day and we quickly shake off the feeling. We joke with one another about which one of us will be making the coffee when we get home, who will clean up after us, who will make the bed and provide us with fresh towels every day. We decide that cruising in this style was an incredible experience and there’s no doubt about it, we are now spoiled in wanting every cruise to be in this type of luxury and elegance!

We have always enjoyed sea days and are looking forward to relaxing by the pool, eating, reading, sleeping and we have made a mental list of “must do” or “must have” one more time. I am still hoping to find that special item in the jewelry store. We decide having lunch in Windows would be nice, one more Pina Colada, one more soft pretzel and so on quickly fills the list. Plus, we have scheduled an appointment with Duncan Fauche, the Port and Cruise Consultant to check on booking a future cruise. We get our day underway and it is a gorgeous one with incredibly blue skies.

Our meeting with Duncan is at 10:00 and we don’t quite know what to expect. We have always booked direct but have wondered about the advantages there might be to doing it on-board and we actually have two objectives. The first one, we are already booked on the Star this summer to Alaska but would like to know about changing the reservation to a Penthouse. Curiosity also has us wondering if Duncan has a lower price on our booked AF-Mini Suite and all week long we have heard about automatic on-board credits. Second, we would like to re-book the Spirit for next year. While we appreciate Duncan’s time, there is not much information he can provide about the Star because he can’t access our reservations. We inquire about a Penthouse and are told that there aren’t any that sleep 4, despite my certainty that an AB does. Later I am able to confirm this with Claudio, our Concierge but it is too late to meet again with Duncan. Duncan does inform us in writing of the per-person rate for an AF, as well as the on-board credit amount. Since he can’t access our reservation by name, he tells us to contact him by email when we get home and to provide our reservation number. Because we met with him on-board, he would be able to honor the price and on-board credit. This seems really fair and we are beginning to feel good that minimally, we will have an on-board credit. Sadly for us, the Spirit is sailing out of New York next year which does not appeal so we decide to wait on any future bookings outside of the Star this summer.

Lunch quickly approaches; how can we be hungry but somehow we always manage to fit more in. As promised, we go to Windows and are seated at what we now call “our table”. DH is having trouble finding something on the menu that appeals to him and when he orders a hamburger, our waiter says, “please, may I suggest something else” with which DH agrees. The waiter’s choice turns out to be a good one of creamy macaroni and cheese with sausage. A very unique combination, quite good but it doesn’t scream “order me” when you read it on the menu. I select the Mahi Mahi, served with pineapple, mandarin oranges and rice which was very good. In fact so good, I took a picture of it.

It is now time for reading and relaxation at the pool which can be very challenging given the college kids. As suspected, there is no room and the noise level is not the atmosphere we are looking for. We proceed to the back of the ship to the kid’s pool area and find two chairs, a pina colada, and a beer for DH. Settling in for the afternoon, we try to take in every minute and every ounce of sun (within reason)… after all, Minnesota is just a day away.

Eventually a brisk ocean breeze rises up which was a bit chilly but it was about the same time that we said, enough sun. We decide to go to the Crew and Passenger Talent Show. The Crew show was ummm… amusing and well, we give them credit for trying. The Passenger Talent Show had two singers, one of which was very good who won. The other while not as good, did a nice tribute to his wife in celebration of their anniversary.

The Jewelry Store was still on my list. As the day wears on, we are getting through the mental to do list we prepared in the morning but DH was thinking a nap on the balcony would be good. We depart ways I think for the first time all week. He wishes me good luck on my shopping and I tell him our daughter’s favorite bedtime tuck-in wishes of “don’t miss me while you sleep” and “take me with you in your dreams”. I walk, no just about run, ever so hopeful that the promised new shipment would have Blue Topaz earrings. I am greeted by the same friendly woman who says “we have some new ones, but I’m not sure they’re what you’re looking for”. She brings them out and I am thrilled. They are beautiful, but more than twice the price of earlier ones we had looked at and considered to be in our range! I ask her to hold them and as I need DH to help decide whether we should really spend that much. Going back to the room, my heart is beating fast because I love them so much. I feel like a kid at Christmas with a lot of anticipation and hope for what is under the tree.

Finding DH peacefully sleeping, not on the balcony but fully sacked out in bed, I head to the balcony to read but I am so mesmerized by the sun beating off the ocean that not much reading was done. I too start feeling sleepy but instead of joining DH, I decide to use the whirlpool one last time. Imagine, a beautiful afternoon; the whirlpool has one very large picture window over it and a smaller one on the side that opens and looks out on the balcony. I open up the window for fresh air, keep the blinds up, after all who can see in (we’re sailing), fill the tub with French Bubble Bath and there I stay for an hour or so of reading and watching the ocean go by. Talk about relaxing, talk about heaven on earth, talk about one of those life experiences that has you saying “is this me” and “I don’t want this moment to end“. No pressures of everyday life, no place to go, no telephone, no email, and just thinking of it, brings back the calm and peace that I experienced that afternoon.

The afternoon is quickly ending and we are not certain where we would like to dine but we do know that we want to see the evening show. We call Claudio for some dinner recommendations which he suggests TaiPan. He promptly calls back to confirm 9:30 reservations for the Teppanyaki Room. We have never been there but decide it is time to give it a try. Before leaving for the evening, we ask Claudio to join us in our room for appetizers and drink. He accepts, visits with us for a short while, declines the offer of assorted cheeses and drink but we are able to tell him how special he made our cruise, which was our intent of inviting him in.

Since dinner is late, the 7:30 show is on our schedule but not before showing DH the earrings. As promised, the sales clerk held them for me and I immediately put them on. They looked beautiful with my evening wear. I had intentionally saved one outfit that perfectly matches Blue Topaz in hopes that we would find something. My DH agrees that we should buy them and while I am standing perfectly still, inside my body I am dancing with joy, excitement and so much appreciation for the gift from this wonderful man when he says “I think you should get the pendant to go with it”. It brings tears to my eyes just recalling this moment. The sales woman places the pendant on my neck while DH charges it to our on-board account. Off to the show we go as I proudly wear my new jewelry.

As mentioned in a previous installment of my day by day review, we did not care for the first show presented by the NCL Production Company. However, this show was very good and much improved over the other. The energy level that was displayed by singers and dancers never ended and we were very impressed. As typical for NCL, many crew members and Officers come on stage at the end of the production, do a very nice tribute and of course sing “The Norwegian Way”. After five cruises, we still are not tired of this tradition and every time, it brings tears to my eyes and a flood of emotion. I hold my DH’s hand knowing we are a sleep away from leaving the Spirit.

We arrive to the Teppanyaki Room a bit hesitant as this is typically not our style of food, but we are still anxious to see what it is all about. We are joined by a lovely family and unfortunately, a college couple that seemed to arrive with a drink or two beyond the rest of us. They promptly order a bottle of wine, while the rest of us exchanged the knowing glance of, they’ve had too much already. The chef begins his show and while o.k., it was not extremely impressive for us. We thought the side dishes were average, and our steak was overdone. The dessert of either Green Tea or Coconut Ice Cream had us dreaming of the decadent desserts found at any of the main restaurants. Keep in mind, that many others really enjoy this Specialty Restaurant and we could have been impacted by the close proximity to the college kids and that generally, this type of food is not something we look for. We leave not necessarily disappointed, but glad that we tried it and feeling that we will not go back on a future sailing, much preferring LeBistro, Maxim‘s and the Main Restaurants.

The evening is over. We quietly walk back to our room, hand in hand, knowing we are returning to the Penthouse, this time to pack to go home.

I send you thanks again from the distant shores of Scotland, it was a pleasure reading your five instalments of your wonderful cruise.If my wife and I enjoy our Panana Canal cruise as much as you and DH did on the Spirit. then we are in for 17 days of BLISSSSS :);)

You write so well, and I've enjoyed every installment. My favorite part of Day 5 was the romantic way your husband adorned you with a complete set of beautiful topaz jewelry! I know it looked gorgeous on you!

My experience in the jewelry shop was a little different. As I was gazing at the glittering pieces, I heard my husband say, "When I count to three, the spell will be broken. . . 1. . . 2 . . . 3. . ." The spell was broken with both of us laughing.

Well, you accomplished many things, cruisinfromMN. The CC Meeting happened because of you. Debate about the behavior of the college students was enriched by your input on another thread. Most importantly, you presented five personalized reviews that brought this cruise to life for your readers.

Thank you!:)

:) Well, you have done it again cruisingfromMN!!!!! Are you a romance writer??? You write SO WELL!!! I felt like I was transported to a tropical beach, with the Palm Tree's swaying, I could imagine my DH and I walking hand-in-hand, on a white beach, ah........ the mood of this installment was PURE ROMANCE!!! If you are not a writer, you MUST seriously consider a career change!!!!!

I will continue to look forward to your reviews on future cruises. I have been enchanted by all your daily reviews, I want to wish you and your DH MANY MORE romantic, lovely cruises......:)

Suesan:):):)

I enjoyed your series of reviews so much. I also think you could write stories for a career. Sounds like you and your husband are very romantic. Hope your next cruise is great, and please write another review when you get back!

Suesan Jean, you crack me up!:D After every one of these lovely, peaceful, installments I find "Are you a writer!?? You are so good!!" :D And yer right of course, MN is a terrific writer!

MN, I am so glad your DH bought you that jewelry ... he sounds like he's a gem himself. I wish you both MUCH happiness!

I want more review from you--dun't stop! I feel so lonely now!:(

Could you send me Duncan's E-mail address, we booked a cruise on the Jewel with him on this last sailing and need to ask him a question about it. My E-mail address is OPSOUTH@AOL.COM We also really enjoyed Claudio as our Concierge, he is very good at what he does, but then again I don't think NCL has too many bad concierges.

Archived