Rescheduling a MDR time?

Hi-

We have a main seating (6pm) on the Freedom coming up and we are happy about that since we have a large group traveling with us (we thought it would be hard to do My Time Dining with a big group).

One of the days, when we are in St. Thomas, we are taking a ship-sponsored excursion that does not return until 6:30pm. I understand that we can do other dinner options that night but I saw on a posting of a recent Compass that it was the "Surf Dinner" that night. Is that the Lobster Night??? We really did not want to miss that!

I wanted to see if it is possible to ask for a later seating for that night only? Will they accomodate a one time only change like that if we try to reserve it in advance?

Thanks for any ideas...

Hi-

We have a main seating (6pm) on the Freedom coming up and we are happy about that since we have a large group traveling with us (we thought it would be hard to do My Time Dining with a big group).

One of the days, when we are in St. Thomas, we are taking a ship-sponsored excursion that does not return until 6:30pm. I understand that we can do other dinner options that night but I saw on a posting of a recent Compass that it was the "Surf Dinner" that night. Is that the Lobster Night??? We really did not want to miss that!

I wanted to see if it is possible to ask for a later seating for that night only? Will they accomodate a one time only change like that if we try to reserve it in advance?

Thanks for any ideas...

You can certainly ask and the worst that can happen is that they will say no. If both seatings are full, however, it might be difficult if not impossible for them to accommodate you. Your situation is one of the reasons we prefer My Time Dining. We have done MTD with a group as large as a dozen and have experienced few problems. Occasionally we have split into smaller groups according to our particular preferred schedules. On those occasions when we all ate together (occupying two tables close to one another) we usually made an advance reservation to make it easier on the wait staff and ourselves.:)

Perhaps the lobster will also be available in the Windjammer but I am not sure of that. Ask and see what happens.:)

BTW, if you are looking for cold water, New England lobster, be prepared to be disappointed. What is served as lobster on most ships, except when they are sailing in New England or Canada, is a pale imitation of the real thing and IMHO you are not missing much if you miss the meal. ;)

Hi-

Thanks for any ideas...

NO WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You should know better. You wouldn't get to the dining room until at least an hr late. Not acceptable!!

Your waiter would have to basically ignore the other people that showed up on time to wait on your group.

If you don't plan to go to the windjammer, change to MTD

NO WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You should know better. You wouldn't get to the dining room until at least an hr late. Not acceptable!!

If you re-read the OP's post, you will see that they are asking if they could go to second seating on that particular night, not if it is okay to arrive at first seating an hour or more late.:)

If you re-read the OP's post, you will see that they are asking if they could go to second seating on that particular night, not if it is okay to arrive at first seating an hour or more late.:)

I saw it. They want to be seated "later". Not necessarily late seating

I saw it. They want to be seated "later". Not necessarily late seating

Clearly you and I read "a later seating" differently. I chose to give them the benefit of the doubt and believe that they were referring to late seating.:rolleyes:

It's vacation and a little flexibility seems reasonable. Perhaps they can eat in the MTD dining room for that one night.

RCI could accommodate them without the whole dining plan crashing around them. It is after all a ships excursion that has them getting back after their scheduled dining time.

The poster isn't asking for anything unreasonable.

It's vacation and a little flexibility seems reasonable. Perhaps they can eat in the MTD dining room for that one night.

That cannot be done because tips for the entire party for the entire cruise must be prepaid in order to accomodate those who choose My Time Dining.

The only option I see is eating in an alternate venue that evening. I honestly can't see that they (especially a large group) would be accomodated at the Second Seating by a wait team who aren't serving them for the entire week. It's not fair to that wait team as far as tips and service go.

Also agreed that if this is the lobster night, you aren't missing anything. :p You can arrive back at 6:30 pm, freshen up, and then all meet in the Windjammer for dinner. It is a lovely and casual atmosphere at night. I'm sure you will enjoy it. :)

Your waiter would have to basically ignore the other people that showed up on time to wait on your group.

Wow - people like you are the reason I rarely post to these boards. Please read my post and the title of it before you jump down people's throats!

The title was "rescheduling a MDR time" and in my post I mentioned that I wanted to see if I could schedule that kind of change in advance - not show up late for my reservation.

To the other helpful people, thank you. I was planning to notify our server that we would not be there that night. It never even crossed my mind to show up late for our seating because basically by the time we got back on board and got ready after a day at the beach, we probably wouldn't make it there until the late seating started anyway.

We have a group of 14 and so we thought that MTD was a bad idea for our group. In our group, 8 of us are children so we wanted the 6pm seating so we could do the "My Family Time Dining" where the AO counselors come and get the kids from the dining room after 45 minutes and take them to the kids club.

I just wondered if anyone has done that and I have now learned to save my questions for the RCI employees...

Archived