MSC Opera vs X - A 'JMO' Review

tuggers

It's my understanding that MSC will never make reservations or give out quotes. They are leaving all that to the ta's. Saves them having to put in a real call center.

If anyone has specific questions, I will gladly answer them. I think this is a great alternative to X and in time, may be even better. They are working very hard to put things in place that Americans want.

BTW, on another thread, people have been talking about the High Tea that is done one day on X ships. The other days it's at the buffet. On Opera, they serve a High Tea each day in one of the lounges. Much more intimate feel than the buffet and pastries on the order of the X informal tea. Plus you are served everything. It was great fun!

Just remember, everything is not going to be perfect, (if you decide to book Opera) it's still a work in progress. What you are going to get is a fun time. You can join in with the funky Animation Team and whoop it up a little or you can sit quietly by the pool and read a book. There are not 1,000 things to do on the dailies, just one column. They don't try to keep you running all day.

Some things they did have that I enjoyed were a small show by the singers and dancers on sailaway, NO annuoncements, no shopping talks, no sell, sell,

sometimes you have to go looking for people to buy things (like a cd from a performer), $4 Bloody Marys's, Cosmo's and LI Iced Tea's all cruise long, no extra added to bar bills (if a drink is $4, thats what you charge is, they tell you they have added in 10% but you never see it, no art auctions (saved me money!).

If you are a self suficient person and can make things fun on your own, this is for you. If you're bored not going to a class or demo, then it may not be for you. Like I said, you should never be bored, just look for the Animation Team and go where they are for the 'fun' trivia, dance classes, scavenger hunts, sing offs, etc. You just arent's going to see a list, ice carving at 11, pictionary @ 11:15, cooking with wine 11:30. Afternoon movies and the Animation Team are it! I loved it! Total relaxation!

Gail,

He is 90% convinced (actually it was HIS idea)! Guess I'll have to do something really special to get him moving! Seems to have some dumb idea about booking this far in advance! Should be a great cruise and can't imagine him missing it (threatened to do an all girls)!

Donna - I'm on this one too! You should come join us. MSC's single prices are awesome!

I had my TA get a price on a double for some friends of mine and I think it was $616pp. inside and $786 for outside. If that's not exact it's close.

Terri

Here are the prices I promised last night (sorry they are late, just got back from Jax!):

rates:

Inside double: $611/person

Oceanview double: $786/person

Balcony double: $1,036

Oceanview single: $1,056

Including all port charges and taxes :)

These are for the 1/14/06 cruise! Terri and I are on (Terri I started a roll call, go sign on) for sure. Who wants to join us? It'll be a ball!

Gail

Ok, you two, looks like I am really going to have to put on the heat here!

Terri, Your boss is going to murder you if you keep running off on vacation! Glad you got that extra day for Rome before you booked this one!

Let the games begin!

Donna,

Isn't he ready to go just because I'LL BE THERE? LOL! It's a cheap deposit for Opera so just DO IT!!!!

Terri,

I didn't know you got an extra day! I've lost one...my ff miles only worked for 10/14 getting in the 15th (and I fly in to Venice so have to get to Rome from there!) Oh well, it'll all work out! Maybe!

Here's the itinerary for the Opera cruise:

Sat Fort Lauderdale, Florida 04:00 PM

Sun at Sea

Mon San Juan, Puerto Rico 05:00 PM 11:00 PM

Tue St. Maarten, Netherlands Antilles 09:00AM 03:00 PM

Wed La Romana, Dominican Republic 10:00AM 11:00 PM

Thu Cayo Levantado, Dominican Republic 08:00AM 03:00PM

Fri At Sea

Sat Fort Lauderdale, Florida 07:00 AM

Cayo Levantado is MSC's private island. We'd love to have you join us!

Terri

HI Gail,

Do you think Kevin and I would like the O? It sounds really nice. We were looking for another cruise for next year, but didn't know what to do. It sounds reasonable and with buying the new house, I need reasonable :).

I enjoyed the review. Kevin sends his love.

Cya,

Jeff

One thing I noticed on another thread is that they have a wine package for $91 where you get a bottle of wine each evening with dinner. I don't know what the wines are, but sounds like a good deal to me! Gail, do you remember anything about that?

Ger and i are now booked with you on 1/14. Can't wait to meet you all!

Linda

They are a prescribed set of whites, reds and sparkling, plus bottled water for $91. Frankly, I had the 'house wine' for lunch a couple of times, $7.50 for a pitcher, and I thought it was pretty decent. Certainly the price was right. And then there were the 250ml bottles you could only get at one pool bar. They were $4.25 for a red or a white. I drank some of those, too!

Lots of options for wine on this ship!

So glad you are joining us! Let's PARTY! 8_11_3.gif

I would have to go look up the name, but we were on the Opera 02/5-12 and had a banquette along the entry way of the upper restaurant. Surprise! It was great. We often waited a moment or two til many had been seated, then took our places. We had Achilles as our waiter and Mayma (sp?) as assistant. they could not do enough for us especially our veggie DD and her DH.

Most fun was the fashion show as the groups exited. This is European and it shows. Lot's of show!! The men even had a flair seldom seen on "local" cruises. But the women had a range of style. One older woman had platinum hair, white, well-draped long gown ,fitted at her tiny waist and enough jewelry to give bling a whole new expression. And it suited her. The pool was equally fashionable. The languages and cultural nuances just added a flair and attitude to the sense of being much further away from home.

A commercial for the Aroma Coffee Bar. Comfortable, delicious coffees, "shaken" tea and very pleasant service. Our DD etc. discovered this one and claimed it daily.

For the first time ever, we went to the shows nearly every night. Nothing replaces Costa's Toga Party but the range from a classical Italian Tenor, to laser and smoke was beyond expectations.

BTW, safe behind the mirror?...never knew about that. Ah well the family gems stayed home anyway.

Have a wonderful time, whenever you go. Give Roatan a hug. I love that place.

Blessings,

G.

Gail, Terri,

How did you book it? Through Amber? Let me see if Kevin can get the time off. I wanted to do the TransAtlantic but he has only 1 week left after this upcoming cruise in April. I will let you know.

Have a great weekend!!!

Luv ya

Jeff

MMMMMMMMM.....COSMO'S.... DROOL DROOL DROOL!!!! Homer Simpson has his donuts. :D. 4 dollar Cosmo's.....The good vodka right??? Grey Goose??

Whoa..lost it there for a sec :D. We would love to see you guys again.

I have to get more info from Amber

Have a great weekend. It's supposed to POUR here tonight and tommorow.

Jeff

Archived