Cruise Critic Community
bonniecharlie

winter in spain

Hi has anyone spent a winter in Spain either an Hotel/villa or appartment

if so could you please give me your opinion on it, not sure wether to save summer holiday money, and do this for a change, like thousands of others I hate the cold

Not personally, but I've known quite a lot of people who have, and they do this every year to keep out of the cold. My neighbour said it was worth it for the savings on their heating bill alone!- they used to take an apartment in a complex, so they could feed themselves, but have company on an evening.

It's so easy to fly back from Spain if you need to, that it seems a sensible thing to do. Do you know anyone who has a villa out there, because sometimes they can't rent in the winter, and might charge a low fee.

Have fun!

Jo.

I've spent chunks of winter in Mediterranean Spain, & stax of short winter breaks.

The whole of Spain is "out of season", and many resorts esp the new purpose-built ones like Salou or Rosas are totally dead & depressing.

Whilst you'll get away from freezing temperatures, weather on the Costa Brava is often chilly, grey, wet. It gets better the further south-west you go.

From many years of wintering in Spain I've learned that the only part well worth a number of weeks in the winter is the Costa del Sol. Some of the fringe parts are dead, but the main area - Nerja to Marbella - still has plenty of life, with many many more places open than closed. Lots of ex-pats and Brits who rent out in the summer & stay there in the winter. And most days you can lunch on the terrace. You'll not get sunburnt & you'll not want to swim in the sea or unheated pool, but most of the time its very pleasant, spring-like. For those reasons it's more expensive in winter than other costas, but still cheap, and long-term deals are plentiful - not generally thro T/As but direct with owners via small-ads such as Dalton's Weekly.

Car-hire is cheap, driving & parking so much easier than summer.

And lots of places to visit - Granada, Ronda, Gib, Tangiers, Tarifa, Jerez, Cadiz, even Seville are possible on a day-trip. By car or coach-trip. And slip over the border to the Algarve for a couple of days.

So if you're gonna consider a full winter, IMHO you should stick to Costa del Sol, mebbe the southern (Tarifa) end of Costa de la Luz.

If you don't know the area, mebbe try out a winter week or so to sus the weather, the atmosphere & the geography. You don't want to commit to months of potential misery. :eek:

John Bull :)

Edited by John Bull

We live year round on the Northern Costa Blanca equidistant from Valencia and Alicante some 10km from the coast. We are geared for year round living with heatpump and oil fired central heating and a log burning fire place (+solar hot water!) The winters are usually lovely in terms of sunshine etc and a sweater generally suffices but we have two rainy seasons when it can rain heavily for days at a time and it can be quite miserable unless you have your home around you. I would agree that, for what you have in mind, the Costa Del Sol is the better option (or Morrocco?)

Thank you for your well informed replies, it is food for thought, we have been married for 57yrs so this will make our conversations more interesting

Hi

We lived in Spain ( Murcia region ) for over two years. The winters are a lot warmer than the UK with more sun. A lot of ex-pats went back to the UK over Christmas which the Urbanisation very quiet. Our last Christmas Day there was very sunny and warm and after the Big dinner with friends we went down to the Beach to relax. Bit diferent to the UK.

However there is a big drop in temperatures ie during the day 20c night 5c so a 15 degree drop. In the Uk +5c to -5c. Therfore you need to ensure that your home is set up for year round occupation cool in Summer, Warm in winter.

We lived in marbella, Spain for 15 years. There can be good weather in winter, have known 21C at Xmas. However, the norm has been lots of rain with the average about 12C to 15C. The houses aren't built for the cold, we had gas CH and two fireplaces and it could still be chilly. Morrocco isn't warm either.

When we lived in Spain we always took a holiday to Florida and the Caribbean in Jan and if I could I would have stayed there until April:)

My parents live in Spain-near Torrevejeca (Costa Blanca) and we have visited them in January. They were wrapped up with heavy coats as they thought it was freezing. We were in lightweight clothes as we thought it was a pleasant temperature. We have also had a weeks holiday in Benidorm in February & were in shorts & t-shirts whilst the locals were in furs- even went swimming in the sea.

It's all relative.

My parents live in Spain-near Torrevejeca (Costa Blanca) and we have visited them in January. They were wrapped up with heavy coats as they thought it was freezing. We were in lightweight clothes as we thought it was a pleasant temperature. We have also had a weeks holiday in Benidorm in February & were in shorts & t-shirts whilst the locals were in furs- even went swimming in the sea.

It's all relative.

How true. When the locals are in coats and boots, the tourists are in light weight clothes.

I remember snow on boxing day 1970 in Malta! It settled for about 20 minutes and the local village kids couldn't believe their eyes. We were soon back to sunny normal though!

Spain is a beautiful place and have incredible beauty and environment. I love this place in winters Spain does get snow. But its not so cold and some area there remains warmer like north and south regions. So it will be great vacations for you in winter in Spain.