Puerto Vallarta Malecon closes for reconstruction

SeaVee

Apart from the recontruction of the Malecon (hopefully it will be as nice as before and not too modern), it seems also some contructions are going on around the Tunel.

Expect delay in traffic if you go to/from old town.

Thanks for posting this. I will be there next week. I assume the beach is still open?

The beach along malecon wasnot nice for swimming and had no facilities.

However the beaches at Playa los Muertos and at the hotelzone etc. are open as usual.

Hello everyone from sunny Puerto Vallarta. I think it is important to keep cruiser's updated on the Malecon! First, to the above poster regarding the "tunnel" construction. Hasn't started yet.

It's very important to note - the businesses along the Malecon are all OPEN!!! You can still walk "down the malecon" but not actually ON the Malecon but on the other side of the street (sidewalk) that runs in front of the actual businesses. Many of the larger businesses have opened their "back doors" which are on the street one block up from their front entrances on the Malecon. We here, really want to support the downtown businesses during this "construction time"!! Do not think they are closed - because they aren't.

Work is to be finished by the end of September-beginning of October.

Inconvenient? A bit messy? Yes! But in the end, it's going to be great. This is mainly being done as Vallarta prepares for the PanAmerican games - to be held in Guadalajara but 4 events to be held here in Puerto Vallarta. There's loads of controversy here as to whether re-doing the Malecon is a good or bad thing. Regardless, it's already been started but work is moving along quickly and again, in the end, will be beautiful (as seen in the architectual drawings).

Be sure and go up and down the side streets (that run east - west goes into the ocean!) along the Malecon. So many great shops!

In the southside of Vallarta, the street Basillo Badillo (wonderful area!!) the construction is finished on the new, wider sidewalks which makes for excellent strolling!! New, larger planters which are being planted with bouganvilla by our local Garden club look beautiful!

We love our cruise ship tourists!!! Welcome!!!

• 2 weeks later...

We just got back last week from yet another trip to Puerto Vallarta. Yes the ocean side of the Malecon is closed (due to open again in Oct and they are certainly working hard to make this happen).

We walked up a bit on the store side and then strolled up to the church and surrounding area which are alive and well.

Basillo Badillo construction is indeed finished and we LOVED the final result.

The Malecon going into the southside has a lot more action, our condo at Plaza Mar has the very best balcony viewing spot now :)

Cheeky Monkey owner has opened a new restaurant on Los Muertos beach called the Sea Monkey (has the $1.00 icy cold beer and Margs) and wooza :) Sea Monkey quickly became everyone's favourite beach front hang out...great food, drink (I tried almost all the drinks on the really expensive drink menu..$2.00 :) and YUM)

Great place to spend the day on the beach :)

We just got back last week from yet another trip to Puerto Vallarta. Yes the ocean side of the Malecon is closed (due to open again in Oct and they are certainly working hard to make this happen).

We walked up a bit on the store side and then strolled up to the church and surrounding area which are alive and well.

Basillo Badillo construction is indeed finished and we LOVED the final result.

The Malecon going into the southside has a lot more action, our condo at Plaza Mar has the very best balcony viewing spot now :)

Cheeky Monkey owner has opened a new restaurant on Los Muertos beach called the Sea Monkey (has the $1.00 icy cold beer and Margs) and wooza :) Sea Monkey quickly became everyone's favourite beach front hang out...great food, drink (I tried almost all the drinks on the really expensive drink menu..$2.00 :) and YUM)

Great place to spend the day on the beach :)

We saw the Sea Monkey when we were there and they were just finishing the painting and didn't have the kitchen open, yet. I thought someone was trying to cash in on the popularity of the Cheeky Monkey until I saw Troy and Cris and others. What a great bunch of people !!!!!

You are pretty loose paying double for your drinks !!!!:D:D

Thanks for the update !

We saw the Sea Monkey when we were there and they were just finishing the painting and didn't have the kitchen open, yet. I thought someone was trying to cash in on the popularity of the Cheeky Monkey until I saw Troy and Cris and others. What a great bunch of people !!!!!

You are pretty loose paying double for your drinks !!!!:D:D

Thanks for the update !

You are most welcomed :)

Troy and crew just rock ...next vist in Oct I want to try his mom's restaurant A Taste of Italy right next to the Plaza Mar condo we rent. Supposed to be really good as well

LOL Mr.Qt was made aware, way back when, that I am an expensive date :D:D

Just got back from PV...The Cheeky Monkey was temporarily closed due to the construction on the Malecon...they had a sign that referred us to try the Sea Monkey, their new restaurant. Went to the Sea Monkey and loved it! They have tables both inside the "open-air" restaurant, as well as lovely dressed tables under individual palapas (thatch umbrellas) right on the sand. The margaritas were only 1 US Dollar...and the best we had on the whole trip. Better than other places that cost more. The service was wonderful...the location was the best! Will definitely go back to the Sea Monkey...next time for their Breakfast Menu!

We haven't been to PV since our honeymoon in (gulp) 1990:eek: Heading there 7/31 on CCL Splendor. Tell us more about PV, if I'm correct, we stay in "Crystal Vallarta"? Is it still there? How close are the Cheeky and Sea Monkey to where the ships dock?

Thanks in advance:)

Can't wait to see PV again!

Krystal is walking distance from the cruise-terminal.

To get to Cheekey Monkey or old town in general you need either a cab or bus to get there.

We haven't been to PV since our honeymoon in (gulp) 1990:eek: Heading there 7/31 on CCL Splendor. Tell us more about PV, if I'm correct, we stay in "Crystal Vallarta"? Is it still there? How close are the Cheeky and Sea Monkey to where the ships dock?

Thanks in advance:)

Can't wait to see PV again!

Take the blue and white bus for 6.5 pesos or just over 50 cents to the malecon (about 4miles). The Cheeky Monkey is across from the Ladders statue and the Sea Monkey is a little way past the river on the malecon. Good food, Good cheap drinks, and Great people !!!!:D:D

I can't imagine how bad the traffic is with now only one way in and out of the downtown and old town core via the tunnel road. If your out by the cruise port or the hotel zone.

We were there for a short trip May 21-29 and we were shocked by how good it was. I was totally expecting a gong show, that said, we flew in at 7 (so mad at Alaskan Airlines:mad:) and then drove through from Nuevo to Southside May 25 at 2 then drove out to the airport around the same time on the 29th.

I am sure traffic is bad during rush hour but we had no problems and actually it only took 30 mins from Dreams Villamagna (Nuevo) to the Southside. Drive back to the airport from the southside only took about 15 mins.

Cruise port and hotel zone were easy.

• 2 weeks later...
Here is a link to a slide presentation showing what the Malecon re-construction project is supposed to look like when completed -

Enjoy!

Nice! Glad to see that all of that amazing public art is staying. I especially love In Search of Reason by Sergio Bustamante; I could see it in one of the slides.

• 3 weeks later...

I am very pleased that the Malecon is coming along and looks great. We are in PV for two days in October on the Oosterdam and looking forward to the extended time.

JCH

Two Blocks of the New Malecon are re-open...here's a link to an article w/ photo:

http://www.banderasnews.com/1107/nb-maleconstreetsopen2.htm

Looks great! Although, I thought it was fab before. I'm very happy that it was still open when I sailed with my niece there the first week of May. She had such a great time taking pictures along the beachside of the Malecon.

Archived