"LIVE" from Allure of the Seas / May 22, 2011

Hi Mr. Radio!

I will try to do my best in English, since I am from Puerto Rico...so I hope that you excuse any language mistakes. ;)

Your photos are awesome! Thanks for letting us share your great Allure experience with all of us!! I am sure that everyone in this thread appreciates inmensely your effort and that you take time from your vacation to give us an idea of what to expect from our next cruise (ours will be the Oasis, July 9).

I am looking forward to see what you have to tell us about Cozumel today! We booked Nachi Cocum for that port....have you heard any reviews on this?

I have to tell you that with everyone of your posts and photos I get more and more excited!! Can't wait my time to GO! :rolleyes:

Keep enjoying the rest of your cruise (and posting :D)!!!!!!!!!

We did Nachi Cocum on our May 8-15th cruise. It was great! Nice and relaxing. The food and the drinks were plentiful throughout the day. The place was clean and the service was outstanding. I would not hesitate to go there again. We also did the snorkeling excursion at the resort. The glass-bottom boat took us to two stops at the reef. This was also a great add-on to the Nachi Cocum beach day.

We did Nachi Cocum on our May 8-15th cruise. It was great! Nice and relaxing. The food and the drinks were plentiful throughout the day. The place was clean and the service was outstanding. I would not hesitate to go there again. We also did the snorkeling excursion at the resort. The glass-bottom boat took us to two stops at the reef. This was also a great add-on to the Nachi Cocum beach day.

Thank you for your review of nachi Cocom, we havew reservations for this June. Do you remember how long the cab ride was and the cost?

Thank you for your review of nachi Cocom, we havew reservations for this June. Do you remember how long the cab ride was and the cost?

I believe the cab was $15 there and $15 back. It was about 10-15mins drive.

We went with our two daughters (ages 14 and 10). The water and sand were beautiful. The beach wasn't crowded and it definitely felt like a private getaway.

They take your picture when you first arrive...they print it and try to sell it to you for $12...then after you say no...they drop the price in half, later on. I didn't care for it so I didn't buy it.

You get assigned a waiter, who basically takes care of you all day..including lunch.

I believe the cab was $15 there and $15 back. It was about 10-15mins drive.

We went with our two daughters (ages 14 and 10). The water and sand were beautiful. The beach wasn't crowded and it definitely felt like a private getaway.

They take your picture when you first arrive...they print it and try to sell it to you for $12...then after you say no...they drop the price in half, later on. I didn't care for it so I didn't buy it.

You get assigned a waiter, who basically takes care of you all day..including lunch.

Again, many thanks!!! How much did you tip your attendant/waiter???

Radio, how was your meal at Rita's? Do they make a good margarita?

paul I went to rita's with a group of 20. The food is not too bad; they give u a lot. two people can eat an order of fajitas. I don't drink; but members in my group who ordered Margaritas said they were very good.

The curvature seen in this picture is caused by the very wide angle lens used. It's generally considered to be an undesirable effect of the wider-angle lenses required to capture a broad landscape.

The fact that you don't see this in your pictures is probably because your lenses are not designed for the wide angles needed for such a view.

Generally, the very low focal length (wide angle) lenses get more expensive the "wider" they get, especially with good quality lenses.

I know Radio uses a couple different cameras, but I don't recall which models they are off the top of my head, nor would we know which one he used for this shot, until he tells us. :)

Theron

Although Theron's explanation is technically correct, the real answer is if you are standing on one of Allure's upper decks and because the ship is so large, you are seeing the curvature of the Earth. It is very similar to the pictures you see from space. When you are on the world's largest cruise ship, everything else seems smaller.

Im a newbie on the forums. But I would like to thank you for all the pics and updates. I have been cruising with you! I just have to decide where to go and what ship. From reading this review and seeing all the pics Im ready go now! Again thanks for taking the time to do this. I for one really appreciate it.

paul I went to rita's with a group of 20. The food is not too bad; they give u a lot. two people can eat an order of fajitas. I don't drink; but members in my group who ordered Margaritas said they were very good.

Nice. Thanks!

Again, many thanks!!! How much did you tip your attendant/waiter???

When we went back in 2008, we loved it.

I tipped the guys bringing the drinks to us on the beach $10 when we first got there. I dunno if it helped or not, but my beer was never empty or warm. DW's drinks were handled the same way (rum punch and margaritas).

At lunch, we ate under the covered dining area and I think we left another $8 at the table when were done.

Food was great, drinks were great and the entire "resort" was just really nice. There were some vendors trying to get us to go parasailing or rent wave runners, but a simple no and a smile was all it took.

Water was nice and the beach had some "rough" spots. Not a lot of snorkelling to see right by the beach either.

Although Theron's explanation is technically correct, the real answer is if you are standing on one of Allure's upper decks and because the ship is so large, you are seeing the curvature of the Earth. It is very similar to the pictures you see from space. When you are on the world's largest cruise ship, everything else seems smaller.

Well... According to wiki, the overall height of Allure is 236 feet above the waterline. That puts her upper (accessible) decks somewhere around 180-200 feet, or about the same as an 18 to 20 story building. It's probably hard to tell if you can see the curvature of the earth at that height, since most buildings that tall are not in an area with an unencumbered view of the horizon, like you have on the ocean.

I'm just not sure the curvature of the earth plays a significant role at 200 feet.

Theron

ETA: Ignore the "Best" answer, but the next one down posted by "bw022" is pretty good.

ETA(2): I'm cruising soon, maybe I'll try an experiment with a straight edge and a camera... could prove interesting!

Edited by TPKeller
Added link to Yahoo Answers

The curvature seen is caused by the curvature of the camera lens. From a spot 150 meters above the surface the horizon would be 44 kilometers away. At that distance the downward displacement is only .39 degrees or about .8millimeters using a straight edge aligned with the horizon. This would not be discernible by the naked eye.

It was only used as a passenger pool for the Belly Flop competition. They were very serious about advising all participants not to use any type of sun lotion, or sun block while in the Aquatheater Pool.

Radio

;);)

Hmmm..... That's kind of strange.

Thanks for responding despite being on a cruise. :)

For the person who asked about paved sidewalks at Labadee...I am trying to remember as my mom was in a wheelchair when we were there. We were able to get to the cabana area and mostly everyplace else. There was part of the cabana area without sidewalks (kind of a pain, as it cut off WC access to the food-I suggested that they put sidewalks that far-it was a pretty short distance that would have to be paved...)

Also, most other areas were accessible however there was also another part that had sidewalks on each side, (left and right..) but if you were on one side, you kind of had to walk a long way to get to the other side....I am trying to explain this but I can't...) Let me try an example: say you are on one side of a street and want to cross...there isn't a crosswalk in the middle, so you have to double back to your starting point to cross...does that make sense???

try looking at this....it may help:

http://www.youtube.com/user/cruisermeg?feature=mhee#p/u/3/75rOI5qcllc

[radio: not trying to step on your toes;):p:D!)

I just LOVE how you can see the curve of the planet! :wink:

Ha ha, Thanks. . .It also helps to have a .45 HD Wide Angle 52mm Lens. . . .

I use this for EVERY image I take. . .

Radio

;);)

Edited by Radio

When we went back in 2008, we loved it.

I tipped the guys bringing the drinks to us on the beach $10 when we first got there. I dunno if it helped or not, but my beer was never empty or warm. DW's drinks were handled the same way (rum punch and margaritas).

At lunch, we ate under the covered dining area and I think we left another $8 at the table when were done.

Food was great, drinks were great and the entire "resort" was just really nice. There were some vendors trying to get us to go parasailing or rent wave runners, but a simple no and a smile was all it took.

Water was nice and the beach had some "rough" spots. Not a lot of snorkelling to see right by the beach either.

Awesome, thanks for the additional information! We are looking forward to jet skiing there! Am I right they will also serve you lunch on the beach? (Or is that another island, different place Im thinking about?)

Edited by CruiseDivaNJ

I just LOVE how you can see the curve of the planet! :wink:

Ha ha, Thanks. . .It also helps to have a .45 HD Wide Angle 52mm Lens. . . .

I use this for EVERY image I take. . .

Radio

;);)

I must learn how to USE all the options on my camera, I love your pictures! I have less than a month now.. lol So many options, so little time,lol.

Edited by CruiseDivaNJ

W4.JPG

Wow Radio! your photos were great! Thanks for posting the ATS picture. 8th deck balcony is a lot larger than 9th deck. I am wondering about the living space? Some of the suite pictures I found on this board look like a really tight space . Especially the bath room. Should I keep this suite or switch it to two OS? Do they still have a soot problem on the balconies? Can you please check it for me Radio? You take such a great pictures, I felt like I am crusing with you. Thanks for your review and pictures :)

The best feature about the ATS is the balcony. HUGE with outstanding views. We only had two people in this cabin and it was fine. Much more room than we needed. It's great for a family. I have photos in my link below of the ATS that we had on the Oasis. Also in that link is a video of the balcony of the ATS. :) The ATS are unique to only two ships in the fleet. I think that they should be tried at least once.

Edited by cruisingator2

Hello everyone. . . Welcome to Cozumel. I had a great time here at Cozumel (Like I usually do) We decided to head up to Chankanaab Park for the day. The cost is very reasonable $21, and it includes a lot. Swimming, Snorkeling (equip rental avail but you can bring your own), A Great Sea Lion Show, Manatee and Dolphin Exhibition (You are not in the water with them. . .That is an extra fee),Chankanaab Lagoon, Chankanaab Reef, Exotic Gardens, Beach Chairs, Huts. Hammocks, Kids playground. Swimming pool.

I have been to a few other beaches in Cozumel, and they have been very nice. . .but Chankanaab seems to fit the bill for me as it includes a lot, and you can spend your day there. We ate at the La Laguna Grill, and the food was very nice.

I think that other Cruise passengers may have heard of the park, because we saw 100’s of RCI, and CCL beach towels there. I know that many of them were there for the many Dolphin Discovery excursions that are offered.

Before heading back to the terminal, I stopped at the El Cid, La Ceiba resort to check to see if they still offered a Day Pass there. They still offer one for $75, that includes all you can eat or drink, and full use of the Pool and (small beach). It also includes snorkeling, and Unlimited Internet. . .Nice. They also offer a smaller package for $15, that includes a $10 voucher for food or drinks, pool and beach plus the Internet package. The resort is just next to the Terminal and is nice for someone who doesn’t want have to take a cab anywhere.

I wasn’t able to go to Rita’s Cantina last night. . It was Fiesta Night, and I was too late to reserve a spot . So tonight I will be visiting there, and I have heard many good things about it !

Here are a few pics from today. . .I took almost 200 pics today, but will post just a few of how I spent my day !

Thanks for all of the nice comments, and thank for tuning in !

Radio

Welcome to Cozumel. . .

F9.JPG

The sun is shining brightly on Allure of the Seas today.

F15.JPG

The shops here at the International Pier are very happy that Allure is here today.

F21A.JPG

There are plenty of places for a Car Rental on the Pier property

F43.JPG

The ½ Senor Frogs was attracting a lot of passengers. . .

F42.JPG

Ok. . Let’s see. . . Chankanaab Nature Park. . . $10 for the short trip. Nice. . .

F20.JPG

Edited by Radio