Cruise Critic Community
island visitor

Fantasy leaving from Charleston SC

Was wondering if anyone has been on the Fantasy that leaves from Charleston SC? I know it is an old ship because we went on it for our very first cruise in 1995. Have been on several since and on the newer and bigger ships and was wondering how the ship looked. Past experience proves that smaller ships can also provide great cruises. We were interested in this particular cruise because of being able to drive to the port at Charleston and wanted to just getaway in November.

We just got back on Wednesday from Bermuda on the Fantasy. We had a wonderful time and I thought the ship was great. I have never been on a Carnival ship so the only thing I have to compare with was Norweigen Majesty a few years ago. My daughter was we us and she has been on another Carnival cruise ship a few years ago and said the Fantasy was in very good shape for its age. They have remodeled her a couple of years ago and I think she looks good for an older ship. The crew went out of their way to make sure you had everything you need and were so friendly. The food was above average and the shows were entertaining. Wish we would have been in Bermuda a day longer. The reason we went was because of Charleston being only 3 1/2 hours from home. Makes it an easy trip.

Thanks to the crew Fantasy should be in the same shape as the day you debarked ;)

She looked just fine a few months bk .

We just got back on Wednesday from Bermuda on the Fantasy. We had a wonderful time and I thought the ship was great. I have never been on a Carnival ship so the only thing I have to compare with was Norweigen Majesty a few years ago. My daughter was we us and she has been on another Carnival cruise ship a few years ago and said the Fantasy was in very good shape for its age. They have remodeled her a couple of years ago and I think she looks good for an older ship. The crew went out of their way to make sure you had everything you need and were so friendly. The food was above average and the shows were entertaining. Wish we would have been in Bermuda a day longer. The reason we went was because of Charleston being only 3 1/2 hours from home. Makes it an easy trip.

So many times you hear that on the smaller ships the service and food is better. Could be.....we have not been on a bad cruise yet, some are better than others but overall we have a great times cruising. Good to know that she ship still looks good. Thanks for your reply!

I had not been on a fantasy class ship since 1997 until last November. The Fantasy was great in every way. Would go back on her in a heartbeat.

Edited by cuyahoga11

Thanks to the crew Fantasy should be in the same shape as the day you debarked ;)

She looked just fine a few months bk .

Thanks......that sounds great!!

I had not been on a fantasy class ship since 1997 until last November. The Fantasy was great in every way. Would go back on her in a heartbeat.

Good to hear. What did you think about the port at Charleston? Did you park there. We will probably be coming from Myrtle Beach and would want to park at the port.

Parking is easy...you can drop your luggage off early (9:30) and drive around a while if you want--you will be close to the Market downtown-or you can park about 11 am. You just follow the signs and the policemen through a gate--pay either cash or credit card--then you will be directed to park--they use empty warehouses for parking. You walk outside and get on a shuttle to the terminal-maybe 5 minutes...have your carry ons checked, etc and go have a wonderful time!

Good to hear. What did you think about the port at Charleston? Did you park there. We will probably be coming from Myrtle Beach and would want to park at the port.

We also drove from my daughters in MB but we went the night before and left the car at the motel and took a shuttle to the port.

We were on it too, everything was smooth and well, better than last year. Ship may be old but in great shape. The staff is unbelievable, always there for you and doing whatever you want. Check out the guy on the Lido deck doing Bloody Marys from 8 till 12. If you are friendly he will give a high test BM and the next day do it with Grey Goose. All for $4.25 w/o gratuities. Okay, I did tip him five bucks.....

Was wondering if anyone has been on the Fantasy that leaves from Charleston SC? I know it is an old ship because we went on it for our very first cruise in 1995. Have been on several since and on the newer and bigger ships and was wondering how the ship looked. Past experience proves that smaller ships can also provide great cruises. We were interested in this particular cruise because of being able to drive to the port at Charleston and wanted to just getaway in November.

I have not cruised in almost 30 years and I don't have anything to compare it to, but I just got off the Fantasy a couple weeks ago. I found nothing wrong with this ship. It might be old, but the facelift she received appeared to me to be totally fine. It was a perfect size with just the right amount of entertainment, food etc. Definitely worth it especially if you are choosing Charleston because the port is closer to you.

Our family had 2 grand suite rooms and one interior. I don't have pictures of the interior room but will be updating the gallery soon.

If you would like to see a few interior shots of her, click the url (or copy and paste in your browser)

http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/17258179_rB9hkW

Parking was so easy. $90 for the 6 days we were gone but if you have handicapp parking it is free,.

I am trying to talk my husband into going again this fall. I reallly loved it.

We have sailed 5 times on the Carnival Fantasy and have also been on 3 other Fantasy Class ships. Our last cruise on her was a little over 1 year ago, but I doubt if the ship has changed a lot. We like her decor the best of all 4 of that class that we sailed. I am sure you will have a great time. Risa Barnes, the CD, runs a very tight and good operation.

Does anyone know if we get dropped off, do we drop off our luggage and then go directly to terminal or do we have to be dropped off at the parking facilities?

Does anyone know if we get dropped off, do we drop off our luggage and then go directly to terminal or do we have to be dropped off at the parking facilities?

We drove through the line and showed our boarding pass then on to drop the luggage then on to park and they take you by little bus to the terminal across the stree. I think it took all of 30 minutes to park and be on the ship. We arrived Charleston around 11:30 and were eating lunch by 12:15. Very efficent operation.

We are sailing on the Fantasy next month. What is the latest time we can arrive at the port and check in. We want to spend some time in Charleston before boarding. Thanks :)

We are sailing on the Fantasy next month. What is the latest time we can arrive at the port and check in. We want to spend some time in Charleston before boarding. Thanks :)

Not sure how late but I do know we had a muster drill at 3:30. and sail right after that. I wouldn't want to push it to late. I did see some come on board around 2:30. But I am not sure how long the line gets later in the day.

Seven of us girlfriends sailed on Fantasy out of Charleston last October and had a blast! The ship was in good shape, and everthing was in good order. We had interior cabins (actually outer with porthole) and had plenty of room. We used handicapped parking and drove right up to parking deck, but there are shuttles available. Embarkation is very smooth, and we were on deck with umbrella drink in no time! Had such a good time that 4 of us are doing it again this fall! This time we are going down the day before and staying in a hotel; where we can park the car for free. We just want to have some extra time in Charleston before we leave. Our friends who did not park in handicapped paid $50-75 (not sure which) for our 5 day cruise.

I have not cruised in almost 30 years and I don't have anything to compare it to, but I just got off the Fantasy a couple weeks ago. I found nothing wrong with this ship. It might be old, but the facelift she received appeared to me to be totally fine. It was a perfect size with just the right amount of entertainment, food etc. Definitely worth it especially if you are choosing Charleston because the port is closer to you.

Our family had 2 grand suite rooms and one interior. I don't have pictures of the interior room but will be updating the gallery soon.

If you would like to see a few interior shots of her, click the url (or copy and paste in your browser)

http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/17258179_rB9hkW

Thanks for the tour, excitingly waiting for out cruise in a few days!:)

My sister and her husband just got home from Fantasy - Bermuda and had a blast. They didn't have any problem with the ship and enjoyed every minute of everything. I am seriously thinking about going on Fantasy again this summer to HMC, GT, and Nassau. I don't care if it is an old ship or not, but the last time I went on was very nice and I didn't have any problems. The embarkation process was very smooth when I went last October. I drove to Charleston and got there a little early and waited a little while before they opened the gate. I arrived at the line around 12:15 or so, everything was very quick and smooth. I was pleased and got on the ship around 1:30 p.m.

I am especially interested in what you did during your time in Bermuda. Another review said all the stores in Hamilton were closed Sunday. We want to take a sightseeing tour but would like some shopping too. Please help with details! Thanks.

The entire embarkation process is different from any port I've been to and a little confusing, but certainly doable. Parking is the most expensive (@$20 per day, unless they've changed it), however, unlike other ports, if you have a handicap placard or tag, you park free!

They may make you prove the handicapped person is in the vehicle, but that was OK with me as it saved me $140 parking fee for the 7-dayer my wfie and I went on last year. BTW, the Fantasy, which we've sailed numerous times, is still in great shape and I wouldn't hesitate to take her out again.

Charlietown is a great city and be sure to get in early enought ot visit the historic district. You'll be glad you did!

Happy Sails. :)

We sailed on Fantasy out of Charleston last June. (Cant believe it has been almost a year since we cruised :()

We had a great time and the ship looked fantastic. There is a picture heavy review in my signature if you are interested in more details.

I was on the Fantasy a month ago. I drove down and stayed overnight and had a shuttle to the ship.

I liked the ship because of its size, and I found it in relatively good order.

I may yet cruise again on the Fantasy out of Charleston, but my expectations will be very - VERY - low next time, because I had poor service at almost every level, and I found the food mediocre at best. I'm far from a food snob, and I appreciate hard working staff, but to say I was disappointed is an understatement.

However, the ship itself was not responsible for service or food, and I did like it.