Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kiwi_cruiser

Any one been to Dravuni Island??

We have been to Dravuni Island before, back in 2008 and its once of my favourite islands to visit.

For those who have been to Dravuni island before, did you explore the islands?, if so any tips/ help on how to explore the island, get around it??, as the last time there, I tried to get to a water hole or something like that, but I did not have much luck.

And Is there anything not to miss at Dravuni island?

Hi Kiwicruiser,

Dravuni island is one of the gems of the South Pacific.

We were on Dravuni earlier this year. The swimming and snorkelling is good and very safe. The beach to the right (when coming ashore) of the pontoon is easily accessible. The better snorkelling is toward the point.

The locals provide boat trips around the island for a price. I think it was $20AU. There are stalls with all sorts of items for sale. There is a island cultural group who put on a very good show for the cruise passengers. The people are very welcoming. A visit to the school is an interesting thing to do. The language of education is English and the teacher is always very pleased to receive useful gifts of materials for the children to use in school. The first time I visited the school they were scrounging around for paper for the children to use so I usually take a packet of photocopy paper The school has around 25 children from age 4yrs to 8yrs.

There is a pleasant walk to the highest point on the island and down to the beach on the other side of the island.

I hope this is helpful.

Hi Kiwicruiser,

Dravuni island is one of the gems of the South Pacific.

We were on Dravuni earlier this year. The swimming and snorkelling is good and very safe. The beach to the right (when coming ashore) of the pontoon is easily accessible. The better snorkelling is toward the point.

The locals provide boat trips around the island for a price. I think it was $20AU. There are stalls with all sorts of items for sale. There is a island cultural group who put on a very good show for the cruise passengers. The people are very welcoming. A visit to the school is an interesting thing to do. The language of education is English and the teacher is always very pleased to receive useful gifts of materials for the children to use in school. The first time I visited the school they were scrounging around for paper for the children to use so I usually take a packet of photocopy paper The school has around 25 children from age 4yrs to 8yrs.

There is a pleasant walk to the highest point on the island and down to the beach on the other side of the island.

I hope this is helpful.

We are scheduled to stop there on Dec 14/11 with HAL & they list no Shore Excursions, so I assume there are no formal excursions even available?

Sounds like a nice port to just relax in & enjoy.

Hi glutenhab,

I am on that cruise with you.

You are correct, there are no tours. This is a delightful small island with something like 150 families on it. I have been visiting the island on cruise ships over many years and have seen how these people have grown and developed their living standards on the revenue that the few ships that stop here bring. The cultural group involves all the village and keeps alive the traditional dances and songs of the island. It builds community and gives the children involvement in communal activities with their adults. The show is a not to be missed experience.

Otherwise the day spent swimming, laying under the shade of tropical vegetation on the beach or snorkelling is idyllic.

Regards Frances

Hi glutenhab,

I am on that cruise with you.

You are correct, there are no tours. This is a delightful small island with something like 150 families on it. I have been visiting the island on cruise ships over many years and have seen how these people have grown and developed their living standards on the revenue that the few ships that stop here bring. The cultural group involves all the village and keeps alive the traditional dances and songs of the island. It builds community and gives the children involvement in communal activities with their adults. The show is a not to be missed experience.

Otherwise the day spent swimming, laying under the shade of tropical vegetation on the beach or snorkelling is idyllic.

Regards Frances

Thanks...very good info.

We're on that cruise too. Are there discussion thread for specific cruises?

This is the roll call thread for this cruise - take a visit and maybe sign in to the roll call or just browse your fellow Pax:)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1463813

Also for everybody else followint this thread - I came across this video/slide show which is not too bad