Places to snorkel on your own in Calica/PDC

Are the beaches that you can get to good to snorkel from? We are going in October and my GF has never been on a cruise or snorkeled. I'd really like to take her somewhere that she can be "wowed" by the undersea world. I know we can pay for the ship excursions at Calica and Cozumel...was just wondering if there are any decent places we could visit on our own, away from a large group on a tour...

Are the beaches that you can get to good to snorkel from? We are going in October and my GF has never been on a cruise or snorkeled. I'd really like to take her somewhere that she can be "wowed" by the undersea world. I know we can pay for the ship excursions at Calica and Cozumel...was just wondering if there are any decent places we could visit on our own, away from a large group on a tour...

Catch a cab to Akumal. There are several threads in this sub-forum with all the details. Nearby (to Akumal) Yal-ku lagoon is a good, highly sheltered area for beginners if the wind/surf is up at Akumal Bay.

Was on the Elation in May 2nd and made the mistake of going to Playa Del Carmen. The beach is wonderful but is lacking fish/coral if you snorkel of the beach. Only saw a total of 3 small fish swimming around.

Several friends on the boat, went to Akumal, based on a recommendation from a local in Cozumel. They told me later on the ship that it was a wonderful trip. They saw a bunch of sea turtles and fish when snorkeling. What they did was to share the taxi cost with another couple. It made me jealous that I could not go since I could not cancel my ship excursions without loosing 100%.

The local who recommended it to them was the manager of "the Money Bar" in Cozumel. He said that he went there on his honeymoon.

Yes, definitely go to Akumal. Up around PDC its very sandy an not much in the way of reefs. Great for swimming, not great for snorkeling. Head south to Akumal. The Lagoon is there (which I do not like. The water is too brackish for me). The main beach at akumal will be where you will see the sea turtles and plenty of fish and coral! Great place for a beginnner!!

I'm going to give my vote for Akumal, too. My family stayed in a condo in Akumal a couple of years ago and it was fabulous!! It is a great place for a beginning to snorkel. There are always lots of turtles to swim with. Drink a mango margarita at the Lol-ha and have some coconut ice cream at Lucy's. Oh my!! What a day!!

• 2 weeks later...
I am going to be in Calica in Sept. How do I get to Akumal, and is there a charge to snorkel? Thanks :)

Read these threads then come back and post any questions. I can't help with today's taxi rates from the port itself, we went via Playa del Carmen.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1367511

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1332292

Have a blast. :)

Archived