Tahiti Cruise vs. land vacation

lsarao

Tahiti and the french polynesian is my dream destination and I'd like to take my honeymoon there. (Oh, and did I mention I LOVE cruising???) However, I'm wondering if a cruise is the way to go or if an island hopping land vacation would be better. Is one day enough to see these amazing islands after flying all that way (I'm from Boston so its an extra long flight for me) or would it be better to fly there and be able to stay on each island a little longer and not waste our time with sea days?

Any thoughts opinions? HELP! I'm SO torn!

Isarao, it depends if you can afford to stay on the islands for 10 days. The cost of food, transportation, and hotel stays are VERY expensive. We did the Tahitian Cruise and would reccomend it to everyone. The cost savings allowed us to thourghly tour the islands plus have a pre and post cruise hotel stay. If you will watch the Air Tahiti Nui website you can really get some great airfare and sometimes even get a flight + 5 night hotel package for 999pp. A lot of the people that went with us did the 5 night deal with air and did the 10 night cruise and loved it. We would only do a cruise for sure now here because it is really the best way to see so much of the islands. Hope this helps.

nancy

• 4 weeks later...

I was going to suggest a similar idea. We had three nights pre cruise and a couple post cruise. I would have liked more, but our air schedules didn't work that way.

Another idea is to do back to back cruises but do the other itinerary eg. the Marquesas and the Cooks. I would have like to have done both.

The food both on Tahiti and the islands is prohibitive and the wine is also expensive. The ships are great value and you do see such a lot. I felt cheated as I love cruising and we really didn't do a lot of actual cruising. The distances between the islands is very small so the ship doesn't actually move a lot.

Jennie

Hi! We are also honeymooning in French Polynesia and decided to do the land instead of cruise... but my fiance has a bunch of points stored up, so we'll get free rooms! I have been trying to figure out which islands to do and think we'll do Moorea and Bora Bora... I'm also looking in to day trips to some of the other islands. Good luck planning!

• 2 weeks later...

I apologize for not seeing this post sooner!!!! Hubby and I honeymooned on the TP last year and it was the greatest decision we made!!!!! By our calculations, we figured it was about 1/3 of the price of doing the same islands by land. Better than island hopping - we always knew where to eat and didn't have to worry about unpacking multiple times. We spurgled for a balcony room and it was awesome!!!!! Nothing more romantic that sitting on the balcony watching the sun set with your new spouse!!! It was truly the vacation of a lifetime - we can't wait to go back!!!!!! Also, the staff made us feel so special! Our door was decorated the entire cruise and they sang Happy Honeymoon to us the first night we ate at the Sterling Steakhouse!

We also did a pre-cruise stay which helped us to contend with the jet-lag at the beginning of the trip. If you can afford that extra expense, I recommend it!!!

Good Luck!!!!!!

• 2 months later...
I apologize for not seeing this post sooner!!!! Hubby and I honeymooned on the TP last year and it was the greatest decision we made!!!!! By our calculations, we figured it was about 1/3 of the price of doing the same islands by land. Better than island hopping - we always knew where to eat and didn't have to worry about unpacking multiple times. We spurgled for a balcony room and it was awesome!!!!! Nothing more romantic that sitting on the balcony watching the sun set with your new spouse!!! It was truly the vacation of a lifetime - we can't wait to go back!!!!!! Also, the staff made us feel so special! Our door was decorated the entire cruise and they sang Happy Honeymoon to us the first night we ate at the Sterling Steakhouse!

We also did a pre-cruise stay which helped us to contend with the jet-lag at the beginning of the trip. If you can afford that extra expense, I recommend it!!!

Good Luck!!!!!!

This response has to have more exclamations in it than most I have seen. I am still trying to decide the details for TP May/2006 -- and you comments just make me want to go now!!!

This response has to have more exclamations in it than most I have seen. I am still trying to decide the details for TP May/2006 -- and you comments just make me want to go now!!!

I get a little excited when I talk about Tahiti!! :D Hubby and I are trying to find a way in our budget to go back next year - but 2006 is more likely. It really is like no place else on earth - it is amazing!! It is the only vacation that I really have gone back and looked at the photos again and again.

I have been pondering the same question, whether Tahiti is a place that is better seen by staying on land versus cruiseing. I didn't think about the food being so different, and the cost difference. Some things to consider! I havent talked my husband into a Tahitian cruise yet, but I will be working on it! My next question is about kids (9 & 14) if they would have enough to do on the ship....Which RCCL ship cruises Tahiti?

bettyvon -

No RCCL ship goes to Tahiti. Also, the Tahitian Princess is not set up for children's facilities. The TP was originally a Renaissance ship - and those cruises were adult-only. When I booked our HM, Princess told me that if enough children were registered (I believe 20 was the magical number), Princess would assign a counselor to them for the week. Since there are no set children's facilities, the children's club would take place in the alternative restaurants (Sterling and Sabatini's). The restaurants are open on alternate nights, so one was always free during the day and evening. She indicated to me that there had not been 20 children on that cruise in a long, long time. I would imagine the reason for that is the long flight.

Also, Tahiti does not have any real beaches (only lagoons and motus) or any shopping. 99% of excursions are water-related or 4x4's. If your children are not into water-sports, there is going to be very little for them to do, unfortunately.

I get a little excited when I talk about Tahiti!! :D Hubby and I are trying to find a way in our budget to go back next year - but 2006 is more likely. It really is like no place else on earth - it is amazing!! It is the only vacation that I really have gone back and looked at the photos again and again.

So Karen, join us on our 3rd trip to paradise!!! :D We are booked on the March 10th, 2006 sailing. We are part of the NY Lady group, just haven't started a roll call yet. But, we already have a few returnees!

So Karen, join us on our 3rd trip to paradise!!! :D We are booked on the March 10th, 2006 sailing. We are part of the NY Lady group, just haven't started a roll call yet. But, we already have a few returnees!

hubby and I were thinking of going back in 2006, but now that I teach (and no tenure yet), I have to vacation on school holidays. ummmm, must check calendar, i believe we have a week off around that time!! we are definitely eyeing july/august 2006 for a return trip!!

I have been pondering the same question, whether Tahiti is a place that is better seen by staying on land versus cruiseing. I didn't think about the food being so different, and the cost difference. Some things to consider! I havent talked my husband into a Tahitian cruise yet, but I will be working on it! My next question is about kids (9 & 14) if they would have enough to do on the ship....Which RCCL ship cruises Tahiti?

Bettyvon: I haven't quite talked my husband into it yet either. Discussions started on our May/2003 Alaska cruise. The ship's personnell all recommended Tahiti. So I "planted the seed" with a Bora Bora island photo as my computer wallpaper. Every time the husband sees my computer, there it is. We did West Carib Mar/2004 so I figured TP May/2005. Instead, my husband surprised me with a milestone birthday gift of Alaska May/2005. (He wrote the birthday card message with this gift -- I did all the bookings and planning). So now I am looking ahead to TP for 2006. Since our 25th anniversary is March/2006, maybe I can surprise him with this gift. Until then, I'm just dreaming of it.

just thought I'd give you a few thoughts. I too was considering doing a land vacation instead of the cruise. I did one night in an overwater bungalow and

enjoyed that one day almost as much as the cruise itself. It was such a different experience. If you have the money to spend I would rather go to Bora Bora and Moorea and do the land. But food and transportation and the hotels are very very

very expensive and it all adds up quickly. The cruise was fair in my opinion...but it did give us the chance to do all the great excursions . There were only 3 kids on the cruise so it's really not a place for kids unless they love the water and can swim well. The overwater bungalows at the Sheraton Moorea are awesome.

Here are some great tours---www.tahaa.net, marc's motu picnic Huahine,

Johnny's in BoraBora(at the pier) . Have fun whatever you do!!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone who responded regarding kids on the TP. I don't think this will be a cruise they get to go on, if we decide to book it. MichTraveler, have fun in Alaska! We went the first week in August on the Radiance. It was awesome; beautiful scenery, breathtaking glaciers. The kids even liked it!

Skittles,

Sorry I missed this post for a few days!

Yes, New York Lady, us, and a few other returnees, including Kim and her husband, are going on March 10th, 2006. Please do join us! We had such a fantastic time with these folks this year, and some from 2003, so our 2nd time together. Jackie, NY lady, is great at planning the excursions, so we let her! I have done some of the planning too, but I'm content to let her do most of it! I just take over, if I'm not joining them on every tour. Also, spent a few days pre and post cruise, so did the planning for those days' excursions.

Glad to have more on this sailing!

Thank you NitaBcruising for your response. We are still thinking about this trip or Hawaii? Have you done the Princess Hawaii? I would love to have someone plan the excursions. That sounds great. What did you think of the smaller ship, although, it sounds like you do not spend a lot time on this one.

Hi Skittles,

No, my first cruise to Hawaii is next April, but on NCL Wind. I have been to Hawaii on land packages several times, so never wanted to cruise there. But, a good price came up, and decided to take it! Anyway, I think FP is far better than Hawaii. It is so much more pristine and unspoiled, maybe like Hawaii 50 to 100 years ago.

I really liked the TP. The small size suited me very well. By the end of 10 days, you about recognized everyone onboard! Very nicely done, also, not flashy, but quietly elegant.

It is hot, with intense sun, so a 1/2 to 2/3 day tour is plenty. So, you may spend some time onboard. A full day tour is almost too exhausting!

Anyway, keep us in mind! We are a fun, fun-loving group! Not really rowdy, but have a good time! Some of us ladies did a lip sync skit one evening. It was hilarious! We weren't very good, but had a great time!

Hi Skittles and everyone:

I wish I could go on the cruise with you. I can't fly that far, though. I'd probably do it in a heartbeat. I don't think my hubby would want to do it, though. We have so many other places to see and can't decide what to do next.

I also wish I could do Hawaii, but again the flight would be too long. I would have to do a stopover in LAX first. Talk about expensive, since I have to purchase oxygen for every flight - 4 tanks at $75 apiece - YIKES. That's $300 one way. I bet it would cost me well over $1,000 just to fly there.

Oh well, maybe if they pass the law that we can bring a portable concentrator on board, then things would be a whole lot more affordable.

Take care,

Mrs Goofy

I know you mentioned no roll call yet, but where can we see the posting regarding this cruise. Thanks :)

Beings we thought it was too early for a roll call, there isn't anything on CC yet. If you want more info for this particular group, you can email me at: garynitabatcomcastdotnet

I think there are about 7 couples returning together on this sailing. 3 of us couples have been 2 years together, and the other 4 we met this year. All are fun, enjoy the same tours mostly. Email me if you have any specific questions! Put CC Tahiti or something similar in the subject!

Nita, please make sure you let people know this is NOT a GROUP cruise and not to expect that tours will be set up for them since that is what I believe people are interpreting this as. I tend to book the tours I want to do and then if others want to join in, fine and dandy. I am not a travel agent, booking agent or anything else involved in the travel business. Just someone who likes to vacation a lot. Like I said, I plan what I want to do and book it. If others want to do the same thing so it reduces my cost of the tour that's great, but I don't do bookings for other people.

Jackie

NEWYORKLADY/NEWYORKLADY2

Archived