alphomegait

Fast Food in the UK

I noticed on my 1st trip to the UK that there were many American fastfood places. I figured that McDonald's would have large footprint but Subway and KFC seemed to have a large footprint too.

I like KFC but just did not see it having as many KFC's as you would think.

Do people in the UK like KFC? Southern fried chicken seems out of place.

I noticed on my 1st trip to the UK that there were many American fastfood places. I figured that McDonald's would have large footprint but Subway and KFC seemed to have a large footprint too.

we love it.(well i do):):)

I noticed on my 1st trip to the UK that there were many American fastfood places.
....unfortunately. Never been to a KFC or a Subway in the UK (and never been to a KFC or McDonalds in the USA either) so cannot comment. I did got to McD in the UK about 4 years ago; we were running late for the theatre and I was starving and it was the only option. It was horrid. Never again. I have been to a Subway in Chicago and it was quite good. Edited by Albert Ross

I love McD's...especially in the US...I like how they have free coke refill etc :D

KFC we have all over Scotland but mainly in the big cities etc.

Subway...never eaten there but I know they are becoming more popular in Scotland.

Most American franchise chains end up over here.. No Wendies yet but I think TGI and Frankie and Bennys started in the US as well.

I love KFC.In Milton Keynes, where I live there are 4 restaurants/drive throughs. I hate McD's, they appear to have one on the end of each street corner.

It is a shame that we do not have any successful UK chain's. They always seem to get swallowed up by the US chains.

Ahhhhh, so its the heathens on this thread who are responsible for the vanishing chippies. :rolleyes:

The UK is awash with US fast-foods, and doner kebabs, pizzas, & the like.

So pukka chippies are now much less common.

The invaders use long-life plastic bread, frozen fries, and things called mayo, iceberg and sporks.

I once accidentally ate the entire polystyrene box containing a Big Mac and didn't notice any difference in taste or texture.

And to satisfy the kebab trade, I've been told that sheep are now being genetically bred with barrel legs 50-inches in circumference, from hip to hoof :rolleyes:

Even a lot of the chippies are now chinese chippies.

And when I buy chips in Brum I have to remember to specify "no curry sauce".

I may have to emigrate to Belgium :D

John Bull :)

John Bull.... you mean that there is MEAT in a kebab :D :D

yes, next door neighbours recently disappeared dog......:eek::eek::

KFC's are excellent when you have a hangover....:D:D

yes, next door neighbours recently disappeared dog......:eek::eek::

KFC's are excellent when you have a hangover....:D:D

newportdave---surely it's cheese and chips from Boomers on the way home from town- ahh, those were the days

newportdave---surely it's cheese and chips from Boomers on the way home from town- ahh' date=' those were the days[/quote']

Never been out in Newport for a nightout, far to dodgy and full of kids. But I have often frequented Dorothys in Mill Lane, Cardiff for Chicken Curry off the bone and chips...:D:D:D:D

It is a shame that we do not have any successful UK chain's. They always seem to get swallowed up by the US chains.

Isn't Burger King a British brand? If not, it used to be.

Also we have lots of Pizza Huts, but much more expensive than in US!

Burger King is a US Company founded in Florida in 1955.

Pizza Hut is also a US Company, a subsidiary of Yum Brands Inc.

Not so fast food but still a chain is Nando s chicken,our burger king has just shut down :eek::eek: i do like a kentucky chicken tho :):)

For all the folks on this board that bad mouth McDonald's, they seem to be doing a thriving business all over the whole World.

I'm from Southern California, and I was astounded in Sydney Australia in 1995, to see a McCafe with coffees, lattes, cappucinos, etc. and it was packed. Our McD's didn't have that sort of thing then. Now it's all the rage.

And in Budapest Hungary, an old Central Train Station was rejuvenated as a McDonalds. The elegant chandeliers and gorgeous wood isn't found at any McDs I've been to here in the States. It was gorgeous, and it was packed with folks.

I was all set to read about local "fish & chips" places. That's my idea of fast food in England. Happy travels to all.

Never been out in Newport for a nightout, far to dodgy and full of kids. But I have often frequented Dorothys in Caroline Street(edited), Cardiff for Chicken Curry off the bone and chips...:D:D:D:D

photo0236.jpg

Caroline Street in Cardiff City Centre early hours of the morning ie 3am. Commonly known locally as 'Chip Alley' as it's just a street of takeaways.

Edited by newport dave

Alas, we came for holidays in the UK, in part, to escape such things as the neon fast food signs. The occasional Little Chef or Happy Eater sufficed for a quick bite before heading back to the motorway when crossing the UK, but fast food for us usually meant a village pub or a chippy or a bakery with filled baps or sausage rolls...or Cornish pasties in The West.

On behalf of all Anglophile Yanks, we apologize for our countrymen who transplanted the burgers and pizzas and chicken joints to your shores....although some of you seem to have taken to the fried chicken parts.

It's the batter that tempts people....fried fish or chicken in batter is always popular with kids- I know someone who even batters veg, so kids will eat it.

We always have breakfast at MacDonald's in Southampton before a cruise- they use real back bacon in their bacon butties, not that fatty, streaky stuff that you can get on ships.....A bacon butty, a bowl of porridge and a coffee- much cheaper than the hotels.

Jo.

It's the batter that tempts people....fried fish or chicken in batter is always popular with kids.

"Got any batter scraps please, mister?"

John Bull (aged 7) :)

Shouldn't that be 'scrumps'........:D:D

Oooo, chips and scraps with vinegar, in a newspaper.....

Jo. (7 and 3/4s) :p

We have all the major big names here in Australia too.

I was very surprised to hear the answer to a trivia quiz (on board an American ship) What is the fast food chain with the most outlets in the world?

I would have guessed McD but it was subway.

Oooo, chips and scraps with vinegar, in a newspaper.....

Jo. (7 and 3/4s) :p

Don't forget the mushy peas.

:eek:

The fastfood joints like Maccas etc ok if you re on the Motorways. I used to like the 'Little Chefs' they had on the UK 'A' roads. Yes OZ has all the takeaways just like UK, but we are not into the chips and curry sauce yet!

Of course these days just about every cruiseship has its burger bar and pizaa joint. Mmm, what about Cunard, Burgers on deck there? Served by white gloved waiters?

I just wonder how long it will be before Carnival Corp gets KFC or Maccas on board it lines - P&O, Princess, HAL, Costa etc, but surely not Cunard!

Hi, Les....P&O's Ventura already has the Costa coffee chain on board (NOT related to Costa cruises!), so I don't think it will be long......:rolleyes:

Jo.

Thanks..Princess coffee is VERY ordinary for those of you who have cruised Princess. The only drinkable coffee on Princess is via purchase of the coffee card.

Hope P&O coffee is drinkable.

Oh, yes, plenty of pub grub around.

Whether Betty's still around to cook it is a different matter.....:confused:

Jo.

Not so fast food but still a chain is Nando s chicken

Aaaah...Nando's-much nicer than KFC.

Nando's was started in South Africa where they are far bigger than here in the UK. KFC is also big in South Africa along with Wimpy.

Oh, yes, plenty of pub grub around.

Whether Betty's still around to cook it is a different matter.....:confused:

Jo.

Oh Dear....

She is still cooking up a storm down here in NZ....

but then , our programmes are a little behind:D

And New Salt aged 67! Love em.

i always thought those kababs slowly turning was elephant foot.....:p You cant beat a good chippy with curry sauce or Rissoles (in wales). Never tried the deep fried mars bar or mince pie yet....

Mcd's kfc and BK are an option but not cheap anymore.

i always thought those kababs slowly turning was elephant foot.....:p You cant beat a good chippy with curry sauce or Rissoles (in wales). Never tried the deep fried mars bar or mince pie yet....

Mcd's kfc and BK are an option but not cheap anymore.

You've got me drooling now for some chips, chicken curry of the bone and a rissole from Caroline St in Cardiff............................:D:D:D

For all the folks on this board that bad mouth McDonald's, they seem to be doing a thriving business all over the whole World.

I'm from Southern California, and I was astounded in Sydney Australia in 1995, to see a McCafe with coffees, lattes, cappucinos, etc. and it was packed. Our McD's didn't have that sort of thing then. Now it's all the rage.

And in Budapest Hungary, an old Central Train Station was rejuvenated as a McDonalds. The elegant chandeliers and gorgeous wood isn't found at any McDs I've been to here in the States. It was gorgeous, and it was packed with folks.

I was all set to read about local "fish & chips" places. That's my idea of fast food in England. Happy travels to all.

We have McCafe here in Malta and I've seen them in many countries in Europe. Once in Paris there was a sudden downpour and we dashed into a Mc D. It was about 10 am and they had sweet or savour breakfasts. We had one of each. There was a container of about 8 little items - sweet or savoury - and they were delicious. The coffee was good too.

You evil, evil people, making me want chips, curry sauce and mushy peas.

Only thing I can get here is McD's (£8 for big mac :eek: ) or a dried up donner kebab.

Cant wait to be in the UK end of November for a good fish supper, battered sausage, chips and all the trimmings.

Trees falling, smoke rising...the occasional troll...yeah, I'm in Isengard, I think. I'd rather be in the Brecon Beacons!:D